Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MPVI3 Standalone Data Logging and BlueTooth

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC got me a MPVI3 really quickly as my laptop days in the car are over. However due to EPA shenanigans and their refusal to answer a support question, I will refuse to to tune with the device. My MPVI2 and beta 4.13 work just fine in that respect. The question I asked:

1670701592943.png

Well this isn't my first rodeo, don't want to use the MPVI3 for tuning anyway and don't need to. Although the MPVI3 will work with beta 4.13. At best it is janky. However I don't want to install 5.x over any of my existing software. Enter my experience as a pen-tester and exploit writer. So the installer is nothing more than a self contained zip file that drops the files into the correct location. You can use 7z to extract the contents to a folder.

1670701951379.png

Since this is still an archive that would have been installed and renamed you have to rename two files and exactly as follows.

"VCM_Editor_exe" => "VCM Editor.exe"
'VCM_Scanner_exe" => 'VCM Scanner.exe"

I dropped these folders to my desktop and named them appropriately.

1670702403162.png

Since I'm only using this for logging I use stable primarily.

1.) Resync interface.
2.) Curate your channel list.
3.) Vehicle -> MPVI2 Data Logging (there is no v3 menu yet).
* Resync Interface Resources
* Write Channels Config
* Set triggers, I just use the short button press
4.) Plug into OBD2 port, if you can't see the lights you are SOL, I have mine mounted in my glove via an extension cable.
* When you press the button there is a 15-20 second delay before it starts recording. You will see erradic blue light that will switch to a steady on/off blue light.
5.) Drive... drive... drive...
6.) Before turning off car, turn off the recording, hit the BT button once, it will go from steady on/off blue to green.
7.) Take MPVI device from car, hook up to laptop.
8.) Vehicle -> MPVI2 Data Logging
* Click Log Files Tab
* Select log file -> click Read Selected
* Alternatively click Read all
1670703418988.png
9.) Save to location and do your thing. I opened the log in the Stable v5 branch of VCM Scanner.
1670703556949.png
It is a finicky setup at best but since I don't feel like having a laptop always open or if I want a big booty cutie in there, the laptop ain't it. Some aha's and gotchas.

1.) I had to re-do my channels list. For some reason it didn't like my Accelerator pedal PIDS, whatever. Now they log.
2.) The delay in the beginning had me scratching my head as to why it would record for two minutes but I had a 1m40s log.
3.) To immediately log again, the device must be removed from the obd2 port and re-attached. Suggest some downtime in between.
4.) As soon as you plug in the USB cable it will stop recording
5.) The TCM channels seem to be more stable, no more wild hiccups as if you are in VCM Scanner and capturing data.

Bluetooth seems a little bit more stable than the MPVI2 offerings however still slower than USB cable or Standalone data logging. If anyone has questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Wow, Fu!

Should be able to use Jon’s device with the phone app? I do. I data log and tune with the phone app. Then I don’t know what tracking and records are written or retained either. But, hell we are in so deep in several areas anyway with government oversights etc, what does it matter?

In your case you are data logging. If someone asks you, and that would be entirely unreasonable anyway, tell them to f… off.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Wow, Fu!

Should be able to use Jon’s device with the phone app? I do. I data log and tune with the phone app. Then I don’t know what tracking and records are written or retained either. But, hell we are in so deep in several areas anyway with government oversights etc, what does it matter?

In your case you are data logging. If someone asks you, and that would be entirely unreasonable anyway, tell them to f… off.
Jon is forbidden from tuning my car. He will grenade it if its faster and Im not on his TDN setup. We talked about it but Id be sol cause the files would upload to his network and then have to be emailed to me.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Jon is forbidden from tuning my car. He will grenade it if its faster and Im not on his TDN setup. We talked about it but Id be sol cause the files would upload to his network and then have to be emailed to me.
So ask Jon, but his device is basically like the standard TDN devices, no? Or does it take at least one ident from the tuner to recognize the car even for data logging? I guess we went ahead and had a tune in mine b4 I tried to log it. May have answered my own answer/question?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
So ask Jon, but his device is basically like the standard TDN devices, no? Or does it take at least one ident from the tuner to recognize the car even for data logging? I guess we went ahead and had a tune in mine b4 I tried to log it. May have answered my own answer/question?
i don’t think you’re tracking, i tune my own car and jon and i share info all the time lol

the tdn is different from the standard mpvi3/2 or rtd+ devices its basically hands off and allows the tuner to get logs, write tunes and all you have to do is click a phone button

for some reason my phone, iphone 12 max wont allow me to pair the tdn app with my mpvi3 just to snag logs 🤷🏻‍♂️

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
i don’t think you’re tracking, i tune my own car and jon and i share info all the time lol

the tdn is different from the standard mpvi3/2 or rtd+ devices its basically hands off and allows the tuner to get logs, write tunes and all you have to do is click a phone button

for some reason my phone, iphone 12 max wont allow me to pair the tdn app with my mpvi3 just to snag logs 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think I do. I have a I-Phone -12 Pro. It all works fine. I have a MPVi2 rdt+. Got it just before Jon got his new branded 3’s. Flipped tunes at the track with 5G on the phone. Data logged. All Bluetooth with the new TDN app. I divorced my PC. That is why I responded. Sorry, I’m out, Jon will need to help.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Maybe you can’t validate without the “tuners fee”???

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Interesting the installer is just a zip extract I'll have to look at that.

I've never had good luck with bt and my mpvi2. Laggy but haven't tried in a while. The laptop thing is my only con for hpt. Wish they had a phone app.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Interesting the installer is just a zip extract I'll have to look at that.

I've never had good luck with bt and my mpvi2. Laggy but haven't tried in a while. The laptop thing is my only con for hpt. Wish they had a phone app.
thats why i upgrades for pro features to do standalone. Laptop will be with me but tucked away, after run. Turn off the stand alone and the import to vcm scanner

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I have pro on my mpvi2 but after having issues with bt I went back to laptop. The data is very valuable to me.

I don't recall trying to datalog straight to the device. Maybe I should test that.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Hp tuners does have their own app. I do a lot of my tuning with the customer with it. TDN Tune delivery network. You can log and then upload to my “cloud”.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've never exactly understood what the difference is between the MPVi 2 or 3 and RTD devices are. Is the RTD locked or limited to just getting tunes from the tuner that it was purchased from? Limited to 1 vehicle ?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I've never exactly understood what the difference is between the MPVi 2 or 3 and RTD devices are. Is the RTD locked or limited to just getting tunes from the tuner that it was purchased from? Limited to 1 vehicle ?
Rtd can only be tuned by someone who is an authorized hp tuners dealer.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Cloud us a 4 letter word for me.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Rtd can only be tuned by someone who is an authorized hp tuners dealer.
So any auth dealer can send tunes to any RTD ? It can support separate tunes across multiple vehicles ? Does the customer by credits for the various tunes like with the MPV?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Cloud us a 4 letter word for me.
Absolutely!

Spit teeth when the conversation goes that way.

Solidworks is moving that way and I'll find a new tool before I give into that shit.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
So any auth dealer can send tunes to any RTD ? It can support separate tunes across multiple vehicles ? Does the customer by credits for the various tunes like with the MPV?
Yep so let’s say you buy an rtd from me. And you switch tuners as long as that tuner is an authorized dealer they can tune your car.
Also yes they still work on the credit system. So it will work on multiple vehicles.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I have a RTD unit. Can it be changed out for use by someone else and tuner?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I have a RTD unit. Can it be changed out for use by someone else and tuner?
Yes we did that. You didn’t purchase your. Rtd from me

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Yes we did that. You didn’t purchase your. Rtd from me
I have another one. It's blue like the 1 shown on the app.