Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New TPMS setup

Member ID
Reactions
City
RIVERVIEW
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 redeye
Does a dealer have to setup a new TPMS or can any tire shop do it?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Does a dealer have to setup a new TPMS or can any tire shop do it?
If you go with Mopar OEM sensors on the same frequency you should have no problem at all. I've changed rims and tires many times and always used factory OEM sensors with no problem at all. In fact I didn't even have to 'sinc' them. The computer just seamlessly picks them up in a few miles of driving and your good to go.
If you go aftermarket you're on your own. It can be done but there's usually a procedure to follow. I put aftermarket on my Chevy Silverado but you literally have to turn key on, turn key off, hold the open and close buttons on the fob at the same time until horn beeps, Then run out and let air out of all the tires starting with drivers side front first. Let it out until horn beeps and continue around car and do same at every tire (going from driver to pass, to pass rear, to driver rear). When horn beeps at last tire, fill all tires to spec, start car and drive at least 5mi. See how easy?
You could pay a shop to sinc them with a special machine also. OR you could just go OEM.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Every mechanic I've asked about TPMS has told me to stay OEM.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
If you go with Mopar OEM sensors on the same frequency you should have no problem at all. I've changed rims and tires many times and always used factory OEM sensors with no problem at all. In fact I didn't even have to 'sinc' them. The computer just seamlessly picks them up in a few miles of driving and your good to go.
If you go aftermarket you're on your own. It can be done but there's usually a procedure to follow. I put aftermarket on my Chevy Silverado but you literally have to turn key on, turn key off, hold the open and close buttons on the fob at the same time until horn beeps, Then run out and let air out of all the tires starting with drivers side front first. Let it out until horn beeps and continue around car and do same at every tire (going from driver to pass, to pass rear, to driver rear). When horn beeps at last tire, fill all tires to spec, start car and drive at least 5mi. See how easy?
You could pay a shop to sinc them with a special machine also. OR you could just go OEM.
Wow, I may as well just do this, too :) :

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
99% of the time OEM work fine. I bought some for the Challenger's winter tires and it won't read one of them. The funny thing it will normally show the right rear not working. Switch wheels around and still will show right rear not working. Put summer wheels on everything works fine:unsure:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
99% of the time OEM work fine. I bought some for the Challenger's winter tires and it won't read one of them. The funny thing it will normally show the right rear not working. Switch wheels around and still will show right rear not working. Put summer wheels on everything works fine:unsure:
Ok, sounds nuts but I've done this and it worked. Take all your other tires (not on car) out of sensor range (at least 50' away). Take off the offending tire and get it at least 50' away. Wait @10 minutes. Bring back and put on car. Drive @15min and at least 5mi. It should pick it up. Believe it or not, it worked for me.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Ok, sounds nuts but I've done this and it worked. Take all your other tires (not on car) out of sensor range (at least 50' away). Take off the offending tire and get it at least 50' away. Wait @10 minutes. Bring back and put on car. Drive @15min and at least 5mi. It should pick it up. Believe it or not, it worked for me.
I will try it when the snow tires go back on but like I said even if I switch them out it will not read one. It sometimes will switch but normally will be the same corner. They all read one day this past winter but next day didn't again

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I will try it when the snow tires go back on but like I said even if I switch them out it will not read one. It sometimes will switch but normally will be the same corner. They all read one day this past winter but next day didn't again
That's screwy. Maybe that's an intermittent signal problem with that batch of sensors. ???

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
I have 3 sets of aftermarket TPMS sensors from Tire Rack .com for our FCA vehicles and they all just work whenever I switch out tires for winter and then back in summer. No messing around.
My GMC is another story, put in learn mode with fob, then go to each wheel and let out air until horn beeps, move to next, etc. Then air all the tires back up. Usually works. PITA.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
As a data point, when I switch back and forth, my alternate set is right up on the wall 8ft away in the rack. I've not ever had an issue with swapping, or the "other" set's TPMS interfering with the currently installed set.

I also have 3 TPMS equipped vehicles all in the same garage space, and they don't seem to jack with each other. (All FCA vehicles too).

But, going the other way ONE time I had a vehicle beside me in my truck as I was driving down the road set off my front passenger TPMS sensor. If I got either ahead or behind of them, it would return to normal, but if I was beside of them, my 60psi tire was only reading 30ish psi (I forget the exact number) But it was repeatable. Strange stuff.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
What are you all paying for OEM TPMS sensors? Thought I saw like $80 a pop which is like $50 more than I thought they’d cost for something so mass produced.

Also, is it ok to buy them in advance if they’re going to sit for awhile? Or does the battery deplete that much faster?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
As a data point, when I switch back and forth, my alternate set is right up on the wall 8ft away in the rack. I've not ever had an issue with swapping, or the "other" set's TPMS interfering with the currently installed set.

I also have 3 TPMS equipped vehicles all in the same garage space, and they don't seem to jack with each other. (All FCA vehicles too).

But, going the other way ONE time I had a vehicle beside me in my truck as I was driving down the road set off my front passenger TPMS sensor. If I got either ahead or behind of them, it would return to normal, but if I was beside of them, my 60psi tire was only reading 30ish psi (I forget the exact number) But it was repeatable. Strange stuff.
I had a problem with my SRT not picking one up one time after a tire/rim swap. I googled reset procedure and tried a few things. I drove the car 15mi. twice. At varying speeds then steady highway. Drove for different lengths of time. Nothing worked. When I hatched in my brain the 'isolation procedure', presto, it picked up the sensor. Coincidence? I don't know. Maybe.