Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

O-Rings matter especially for E85

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You long term E85 guys probably knew this but I didn't and learned a lesson. Kept smelling ethanol at startup and at first thought I had an exhaust leak. No leak found so I keyed the car on but didn't start it and checked the injectors, found one leaking around the o-ring. Did a check and all of them were swollen and deteriorating. Coulda been bad.

If you're running E85 don't use Fel-Pro ES70599. The ethanol will eat them up.

I had some spare ones that came with some ID injectors I put back on there. Since the IDs are ethanol safe I presume the o-rings are made of some other material. They're blue where the Fel-Pro were black if that matters.

I need to find o-rings to keep in hand and make them a seasonal maintenance item perhaps.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Good info.h
They would be a seasonal maintenance item for me if I went E85. I also would send out the injectors to get cleaned and checked, and store the car with real gas in winter. Or else expect the pump to shit the bed early.

Ya ya I know there are many that will come back with the "well I ran it for x years and I don't have any issues". I also know of many issues with corroded pumps, rotting fuel lines and early injector failures from simply using E05 - E10 fuel. I realize that may be accelerated by our weather up here vs a dry climate.
Still getting a maintenance schedule that would Include fuel system maintenance for safe measure. One may only find out a pump has been going bad once it does under full throttle. Which may not do much for engine life longevity.

Last edited:
OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #3
The fuel systems in these cars are supposed to be E85 compatible so the pumps "shouldn't" be a problem. I ran for a year on ID1000s and their included o-rings with no issues. I had a chance to grab some ID1300x for cheap so I did and figured I'd put new o-rings on them just to be safe and grabbed the Fel-Pro ones from the local parts store thinking everything would be ethanol compatible these days. Turns out not and I'd have been better off to just leave the ID1300x injector o-rings on there.

Flex fuel does have the benefit of being able to run a tank of 93 through the car every once in a while to clean things out as well which I plan to do about once a month.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The fuel systems in these cars are supposed to be E85 compatible so the pumps "shouldn't" be a problem. I ran for a year on ID1000s and their included o-rings with no issues. I had a chance to grab some ID1300x for cheap so I did and figured I'd put new o-rings on them just to be safe and grabbed the Fel-Pro ones from the local parts store thinking everything would be ethanol compatible these days. Turns out not and I'd have been better off to just leave the ID1300x injector o-rings on there.

Flex fuel does have the benefit of being able to run a tank of 93 through the car every once in a while to clean things out as well which I plan to do about once a month.
The problems I mentioned were on GM,Ford and Chrysler Flex Fuel vehicles. The Dodges were mostly injector issues on Flex fuel Caravans. I have seen a GM flex fuel pump corroded as if it was a bare steel piece that lived in the ocean.
Moisture and Ethanol do not so nice things to vehicles.
I was just saying if it was me I would be changing out fuel pumps after a certain time as well as servicing the injectors during down time over winter. I do have 6 months to screw around on the car. After the first service I could decide to do it every 2 or 3 years and that would help me decide when to change the pump. For sure doing something like changing the seals yearly would be done.

This is like the "I change my oil every 10k and I don't have any issues" comments.
Sure nothing happens to person 1,2,3 or 4 but say 15 gets problems that cost a bunch.
I am lucky like #15 so I do excessive maintenance.😉

Last edited:

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I hate ethanol. every old vehicle i have has been molested by it. rusted fuel tanks melted hose's froze up fuel pumps rusted float gauge units. corroded carburetors. And Sta bile helps but still gets it eventually. and that is just the 10% shit.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #6
Agree for cars not designed for it. For those that are it's a great fuel for making some power.

I'll be keeping a closer eye on fuel system components going forward. The good news is these cars are pretty smart and will bleed boost and do a few other things to protect themselves if the fuel system acts up.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Is Viton still the material of choice to resist corrosion? That’s what I used when I converted my diesel to run on Vegetable oil.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The problems I mentioned were on GM,Ford and Chrysler Flex Fuel vehicles. The Dodges were mostly injector issues on Flex fuel Caravans. I have seen a GM flex fuel pump corroded as if it was a bare steel piece that lived in the ocean.
Moisture and Ethanol do not so nice things to vehicles.
I was just saying if it was me I would be changing out fuel pumps after a certain time as well as servicing the injectors during down time over winter. I do have 6 months to screw around on the car. After the first service I could decide to do it every 2 or 3 years and that would help me decide when to change the pump. For sure doing something like changing the seals yearly would be done.

This is like the "I change my oil every 10k and I don't have any issues" comments.
Sure nothing happens to person 1,2,3 or 4 but say 15 gets problems that cost a bunch.
I am lucky like #15 so I do excessive maintenance.😉
I'm person #1 :LOL:

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
Even our E5 petrol seems to rot out pipes etc from mowers if not drained down over the winter.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Even our E5 petrol seems to rot out pipes etc from mowers if not drained down over the winter.
My experiences mentioned were with E5/E10 as that is all that is available at the pump here.
Now theses were not exactly new vehicles but still they had failures in the fuel systems over time with just E5/10.

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
You long term E85 guys probably knew this but I didn't and learned a lesson. Kept smelling ethanol at startup and at first thought I had an exhaust leak. No leak found so I keyed the car on but didn't start it and checked the injectors, found one leaking around the o-ring. Did a check and all of them were swollen and deteriorating. Coulda been bad.

If you're running E85 don't use Fel-Pro ES70599. The ethanol will eat them up.

I had some spare ones that came with some ID injectors I put back on there. Since the IDs are ethanol safe I presume the o-rings are made of some other material. They're blue where the Fel-Pro were black if that matters.

I need to find o-rings to keep in hand and make them a seasonal maintenance item perhaps.
I'm not E85 or ever will be, but that's what I've heard that E85 is hard on all rubber items it comes in contact with, so those items through the whole fuel system should be watched closely.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

That will help.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not E85 or ever will be, but that's what I've heard that E85 is hard on all rubber items it comes in contact with, so those items through the whole fuel system should be watched closely.
You're just being a hater. :p:ROFLMAO:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
I could not find any information on the material in the Fel-Pro o-rings. Probably have to measure the o-rings and then look for a same size made of a material rated for resistance to gasoline, alcohol and heat.
https://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Don't quote me, but I remember somewhere that I read Ethanol use requires Silicone based orings instead of the usual Buna style that usually are given from parts stores. I know Viton is better for heat, but cannot attest to how it would hold up to use with stronger solvent like E.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Are people seeing the same problem with injectors using the original o ring on the injector? I would hope if they claim it is an e85 injector the o-ring would last longer than a year or two.

Last edited:

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Last edited:

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
Some great info for sure, and commonly overlooked. I see some ethanol haters for sure hahaha. Its a great fuel, BUT if you're set up for it. It certainly has some drawbacks if you are set up for straight gasoline, but for many the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. Since swapping over I actually see about 20-30% BETTER mileage around town (dont ask about highway mileage it sucks!) not to mention no more black tailpipes, I personally like the smell and just all around more power

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I’ve ran my ID 2000’s for around a year and a half on only E85.

No issues at this point.