Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Octane booster advice

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
We've got petrol shortages here, idiots have been panic buying. I thought it would be over by the weekend as tank filled and not used but it persists.

I can't get any 98RON / 90MON / 94PON fuel which is our top one.

If I can time it right and sit in a queue for hours I might be able to get some 95RON / 87MON / 91PON.

I have just bought an octane booster but it doesn't really say what it does and I'm thinking it might not be good. The label says "increases octane ratio by up to 1.5 numbers".
https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/products/petrol-power-booster/

Any thoughts please.
Thanks

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
Based on some of the labels I've read, while killing time in dept stores waiting to be used as a beast of burden, suspect that means .15 octane increase. Not exactly a big bump up

edit: noticed they don't tell you how many gallons one bottle will boost

Last edited:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Ive read they screw with the cats and O2 sensors as they often times leave deposits.

OP
Lize

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Thanks, you've confirmed that I'm not keen on the idea.

Sorry, should have said its actually for my Nissan Elgrand as I was supposed to be taking it to a car show tomorrow. I wouldn't dream of putting it in the Hellcat.

I had a turbo added and the tune is fixed for the higher RON fuel and I fear knocking on the lower stuff so I asked the tuner and he thought the same.

0.15 is FA, snake oil as I thought. Its not got O2 sensors anymore and a stainless sports cat for emissions but I don't think I'll chance/theres no point in using it.

My friend has just texted me to say he's just got home and all the gas stations are out of fuel again so seems I can't get any 95 even if I wanted it.

I've got less than 1/4 in the Ram, my Ute and the Elgrand and the GTR is off the road, only one I've got nearly a full tank is the Hellcat. Could soon be problematic if I can only get 95 RON, means I'll have to use the Ram only and with £35 fuel limit it won't get me far!

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
damn, sounds like this area every time a hurricane threatens New Orleans. often see convoys of pickups and suv's roving from station to station, filling every container they can get their hands on. vultures suck up every drop of fuel, complaining about the purchase limits at every stop

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
My advice, use it in emergencies only. I was a constant user and swore by VP Octanium Unleaded. It no doubt works, I have many dat logs to prove it, but it hammers spark plugs, exhaust valves, and O2 sensors, even though it says it’s safe on them. Here’s what my plugs and heads looked like after about 7000 miles of the stuff, 1 Qt in 15 gallons. Pistons clean, other important stuff not so clean, exhaust valves being the most concerning as plugs and O2 sensors are easy and cheap to replace, exhaust valves not so. Dirty head on left, cleaned up one on right.
33813C2F-7F99-4DE4-87E1-2576CB3FB168.jpeg BCE7581B-1EDB-459A-8944-65A54D1F5E66.jpeg D89297FE-9CAB-43DC-8045-5879B3B2B210.jpeg

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Switch to corn!! This is plugs after 3000 miles on corn!! Put them back in the box and sell them as new lol
9676DBAB-C1AC-4E36-A1C4-87FD2C265356.jpeg 634B952A-3558-4ADE-B649-05EF721E558A.jpeg

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
We've got petrol shortages here, idiots have been panic buying. I thought it would be over by the weekend as tank filled and not used but it persists.

If I can time it right and sit in a queue for hours I might be able to get some 95RON / 87MON / 91PON.

I have just bought an octane booster but it doesn't really say what it does and I'm thinking it might not be good. The label says "increases octane ratio by up to 1.5 numbers".

Any thoughts please.
Thanks
I have never heard of that, I know Boostane works if you can get it, I order mine online & ships to the door. Just use it as needed to get the octane # your looking for.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
@Mean Cat Had to thumbs down the post, will leave your spark plugs looking like Ronald McDonald’s Afro

92129955-35DA-47AA-987B-7391568EF9F3.jpeg

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Maybe blend with a drop of race fuel if you can source some locally?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
@Mean Cat Had to thumbs down the post, will leave your spark plugs looking like Ronald McDonald’s Afro

View attachment 54734
I know, much controversy on Boostane & others, but your plugs have 60k ? on them & at what mixture was used ? a bottle to a tank full ? It's cheap insurance, I can't afford race gas & don't want E85. FTW
The tips of the electrodes looks good :LOL:
I need to pull a plug or 2 & see what they look like.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Pull the boost and timing out of the car, and you won’t need race gas. If you’re just going to a car show, it’s no big deal if you’re down on power. Otherwise octane booster can be your bandaid. They work.

For those of you with orange parts… which one of those parts failed because it was orange or had deposits on it?

OP
Lize

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Maybe blend with a drop of race fuel if you can source some locally?
Good idea, funnily its Jap Show at Santa Pod but I haven't enough to get there :(

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Any thoughts please.
Thanks
If you have to drive something and the octane is low just drive it easy. Car will run fine as long as your foot isn't to the floor

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thanks, you've confirmed that I'm not keen on the idea.

Sorry, should have said its actually for my Nissan Elgrand as I was supposed to be taking it to a car show tomorrow. I wouldn't dream of putting it in the Hellcat.

I had a turbo added and the tune is fixed for the higher RON fuel and I fear knocking on the lower stuff so I asked the tuner and he thought the same.

0.15 is FA, snake oil as I thought. Its not got O2 sensors anymore and a stainless sports cat for emissions but I don't think I'll chance/theres no point in using it.

My friend has just texted me to say he's just got home and all the gas stations are out of fuel again so seems I can't get any 95 even if I wanted it.

I've got less than 1/4 in the Ram, my Ute and the Elgrand and the GTR is off the road, only one I've got nearly a full tank is the Hellcat. Could soon be problematic if I can only get 95 RON, means I'll have to use the Ram only and with £35 fuel limit it won't get me far!
If you are limited on how much you can buy then once the Hellcat is to that point fill it back up. Your octane will be lower but not as bad if you run it closer to empty then put gas in it

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If you have to drive something and the octane is low just drive it easy. Car will run fine as long as your foot isn't to the floor

This, and even if you do get in it (within reason), the car will pull timing and correct for it.

I have to live with this all of the time. I'm always running 2 points under what most others run simply because it's all we have.

Also, depending on what product you're buying, becareful about how they promote "points". Some of the consumer grade octane booster will refer to "points" and they are really talking about TENTHS of an octane... o_O

They do this because they can... :mad:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ll just drop this here, 4(+) years in my 2015 with no issues and a 93/95 octane tune. One bottle per tank of 91 octane fuel. Also have run it in my untuned 2019 Redeye from day one. Same result. Has been tested and proven by many Challenger, Hellcat, Redeye owners. 6D9EB407-DE9D-4738-A6CA-3FA09E49A87B.jpeg

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Good idea, funnily its Jap Show at Santa Pod but I haven't enough to get there :(
Shame,there’s a meet I would like to attend next weekend but unless the fuel shortages abate I won’t be able to get there as well.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Shame,there’s a meet I would like to attend next weekend but unless the fuel shortages abate I won’t be able to get there as well.
Fuel shortages, WTH ?... Guess that's one way to keep people at home & locked down.
How long has that been going on there & is this common or something new ?

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Fuel shortages, WTH ?... Guess that's one way to keep people at home & locked down.
How long has that been going on there & is this common or something new ?
Started a week ago,tanker driver shortage apparently,the press broke the story and people started panic buying.

Persomally I think it’s a government ruse to make us buy EV’s🙄🤣🤣

Last edited: