Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

P018C Code

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Hi all - Did a forum search but didn't see any threads on this code. I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat with about 4k miles and the P018C CEL came on. No engine mods, only a Barton shifter.

After researching the code it appears that this code could be the fuel rail, fuel sensor or something extremely rare like a bad PCM or corroded wires.

I have read that the 2015 Challenger Hellcat had a recall for the fuel rail, but not the 2016 model year. I did check safecar.gov for an open recall but my VIN has zero open recalls.

Yes, I could go to the dealership, but then I run the risk of them damaging the car, so would like to hear what the Forum members have experienced, or have any thoughts about this?

One area of concern I have is the gasoline used. We always use Shell 93 Octane, but earlier this week we were running low and there was only a Mobil station so we filled up with 93. Why this is a concern is that last time we used Mobil was about five years ago, and on the same day, both of cars used the same Mobil, and we had both cars get CELs, pointing to their respective fuel pumps. The cars were a BMW and Audi, and what I read is that Mobil loves ethynol in their gas and it destroys the older German fuel pumps, could be an internet myth, but now I have gone to Mobil three times over the past five years, and all three times produced a CEL relating to the fuel system. I don't know if our fuel pump is an older Mercedes style or not. I am considering siphoning out all gas and replacing with Shell or Sunoco to see if that removes the CEL, but would love to hear from Team Hellcatforum first.

Thanks in advance!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Run the fuel tank down, put new gas in. Clear the CEL.

If the CEL continues, have it inspected by the dealership. They’ll replace the sensor.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I doubt gas from Mobil had anything to do with it , but I do agree with clearing the fault and see how it does , you might even disconnect the fuel pressure sensor and reconnect it , may just be a poor connection causing it , at worst may be the fuel pressure sensor going out , doubt the pcm is bad , and the dealer isn’t going to hurt the car it’s a simple repair

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Besides our cars can run fine with as much as 30 percent ethanol in them with no issues

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I doubt gas from Mobil had anything to do with it , but I do agree with clearing the fault and see how it does , you might even disconnect the fuel pressure sensor and reconnect it , may just be a poor connection causing it , at worst may be the fuel pressure sensor going out , doubt the pcm is bad , and the dealer isn’t going to hurt the car it’s a simple repair
Do you know how to replace the fuel pressure sensor? I looked online and it appears you must carve up the fuel rail tube so you actually have to order a new fuel rail. I cannot confirm as I have not done this job, but if anyone else has done this job can you please let me know.

https://www.foreinnovations.com/category_s/515.htm

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Do you know how to replace the fuel pressure sensor? I looked online and it appears you must carve up the fuel rail tube so you actually have to order a new fuel rail. I cannot confirm as I have not done this job, but if anyone else has done this job can you please let me know.

https://www.foreinnovations.com/category_s/515.htm
They are just splitting the insulation so they can get access to the tube to heat it up and remove it, once you install the new sensor you can roll back the insulation and tape it , or just buy a new fuel rail from the dealer

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
They are just splitting the insulation so they can get access to the tube to heat it up and remove it, once you install the new sensor you can roll back the insulation and tape it , or just buy a new fuel rail from the dealer
Thank you for that...it's much easier to swap a sensor than a fuel rail, so I would prefer that route. For a fuel rail I would need to have my Indy do the job and then work with Dodge's warranty department so I could get reimbursed. For a $50 sensors I will not be making a call but a $350 fuel rail plus labor and I will be making that call.

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Yeah, so new fuel rail will be bought since I do not want to tape up that section. Ugh, sucks, and I don't think the fuel rail is covered under warranty anymore. I believe my aftermarket warranty may come into play here.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I DOUT THE AFTERMARKET WARRANTY WILL COVER THAT

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I DOUT THE AFTERMARKET WARRANTY WILL COVER THAT
The warranty is 5 years from my date of purchase, which was over the summer, or 100k miles (I'm at 4.5k miles). It is an extension of the factory's basic warranty, which is 3 year or 36k miles, and expired for my 2016.

I spoke with Dodge and they said after the repair to call back to see if I can get a goodwill refund, so I'll go that route first.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Awesome

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Sweet now fix it

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Sweet now fix it
Friday is the day so we can have a fun president's day weekend!

I was caught off guard by the fuel rail as I did not expect to receive the right side fuel rail. Even the picture of the part shows only the left side and center piece. For future reference if anyone comes across this thread, this is the part on the website and what I received is pictured above.

Screenshot_20200212-084841.jpg

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Besides our cars can run fine with as much as 30 percent ethanol in them with no issues
According to Dodge Any fuel with more than 15% ethanol is not allowed. It states that it can do damage to the fuel system components. And can void the warranty. This is right out of the SRT owners manual. These are not Flex Fuel vehicles

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Mine on ethanol and not having any fuel sensor issues

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
According to Dodge Any fuel with more than 15% ethanol is not allowed. It states that it can do damage to the fuel system components. And can void the warranty. This is right out of the SRT owners manual. These are not Flex Fuel vehicles
Mine on ethanol and not having any fuel sensor issues
My personal opinion after driving a handful of German cars is that the older fuel pumps were not designed for ethanol and can cause premature failures of the pump and/or sensor or related fuel system parts. That is why I was inquiring if our Hellcat uses and older-designed Mercedes fuel pump.

***Personal opinion with no evidence other than what I have seen and read.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
All vehicles that are not E85 approved will see damage over time from use of ethanol. As a mechanic, I have repaired many older cars and trucks that were not designed for it at all. up to and including late 90's. rubber fuel line deterioration, gas tanks corroded beyond repair. fuel sending units corroded beyond repair, fuel pumps frozen up. Injectors clogged shut. On and on. same goes for small engines such as power tools and generators. I wont knowingly put that shit in anything I own. fortunatly we have a few stations that offer real gas still.

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
All vehicles that are not E85 approved will see damage over time from use of ethanol. As a mechanic, I have repaired many older cars and trucks that were not designed for it at all. up to and including late 90's. rubber fuel line deterioration, gas tanks corroded beyond repair. fuel sending units corroded beyond repair, fuel pumps frozen up. Injectors clogged shut. On and on. same goes for small engines such as power tools and generators. I wont knowingly put that shit in anything I own. fortunatly we have a few stations that offer real gas still.
That is awesome to hear! I will say that Mobil 93 has caused many headaches for me, in my Audi, former BMW and now the Hellcat. The Hellcat has 4k miles and the fuel rail/sensor needs to be replaced, and it all happened after a trip to Mobil. Could be coincidence but not risking it anymore, and will only use Shell and Sunoco going forward. I am probably way off base, but all I know for a fact is that three different fuel systems needed repairs after three trips to Mobil. None of the cars were/are tuned or had/have engine mods.

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle