Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Paddle Down & Hold Question

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
6200 RPM if I remember correctly.
So I can still shift at 6100 instead of 5800 and be safe that's what I'm trying to accomplish without banging the limiter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So I can still shift at 6100 instead of 5800 and be safe that's what I'm trying to accomplish without banging the limiter.

I have tried that on later shifts at the track. The 2 - 3 shift on.
Let's just say it doesn't always go as planned. The limiter comes up quick.:cautious::ROFLMAO:

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger

If your on the paddles it will hold to 6.2 and shift itself or shift when you hit the paddle. If your in manual stick from memory it might hold to 6.4 but won’t shift unless you move the stick . I tried this method at the track a few years ago but had to start in 2nd as 1st is so short and couldn’t get the consistency I was after ( hit rev limiter to much ) to persist with .
I don’t know any Hellcat guys that use the M1 paddle method at the track , I’m guessing because they want that bigger gear as the cat really comes home hard in the last 3rd of the race . But my 392 SRT is geared differently and I find it works for me as I can get my 60ft into the 1.5s on a good day .

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
If your on the paddles it will hold to 6.2 and shift itself or shift when you hit the paddle. If your in manual stick from memory it might hold to 6.4 but won’t shift unless you move the stick . I tried this method at the track a few years ago but had to start in 2nd as 1st is so short and couldn’t get the consistency I was after ( hit rev limiter to much ) to persist with .
I don’t know any Hellcat guys that use the M1 paddle method at the track , I’m guessing because they want that bigger gear as the cat really comes home hard in the last 3rd of the race . But my 392 SRT is geared differently and I find it works for me as I can get my 60ft into the 1.5s on a good day .
At the track I pull the left paddle to get m1 to try to get a little more out of 1st gear. Later on I pull the shifter over for the last shift or 2.
In the cold when the DA is low my car has hit the limiter in 1st gear doing this on occasion.

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
At the track I pull the left paddle to get m1 to try to get a little more out of 1st gear. Later on I pull the shifter over for the last shift or 2.
In the cold when the DA is low my car has hit the limiter in 1st gear doing this on occasion.
I’d like to get a trans tune to squeeze a bit more out of the car without getting into the motor. I think the A8 is capable of increasing the shift points safely with a good return time wise .

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I’d like to get a trans tune to squeeze a bit more out of the car without getting into the motor. I think the A8 is capable of increasing the shift points safely with a good return time wise .
I agree with you. It's just that with what's involved you might as well tune the car.

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I agree with you. It's just that with what's involved you might as well tune the car.
I’ve already got a 93 custom tune on the car . I’d like to go to HHP have them do a 100 octane tune in house and trans tune . I’ve run in the 11.1s 11.2 for a couple years but can’t hit that 10.99 . Frustrating to be so close.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
I’ve already got a 93 custom tune on the car . I’d like to go to HHP have them do a 100 octane tune in house and trans tune . I’ve run in the 11.1s 11.2 for a couple years but can’t hit that 10.99 . Frustrating to be so close.
Does getting a trans tune require purchasing/unlocking the PCM or other device? I'm trying to figure out whether I'm in for a penny, or a pound....(we all know what the answer to that is going to be). Can a tuner do a trans tune on a stock car, or does that pesky PCM need unlocked?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Great question!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
What a different world! On the road courses I pull it over to the left and use the paddles in one or two certain spots to hold higher gears (a chicane at RA, holding 75+/- mph, and turn #1 at BIR which goes from like the optimum 165 to 125 to 140) because I don't want it shifting either way on me! Then it goes over to the right to continue its' automatic shifting.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Does getting a trans tune require purchasing/unlocking the PCM or other device? I'm trying to figure out whether I'm in for a penny, or a pound....(we all know what the answer to that is going to be). Can a tuner do a trans tune on a stock car, or does that pesky PCM need unlocked?
It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to raise the shift points, then, Yes you need to unlock the PCM.

If you just want to shift harder then you can tune just the TCM. The TCM is unlocked and is a sepearate controller.

But with HPTuners you still have to buy the 4 credits to tune the TCM. AND it will not let you write a tune to the TCM unless you license the PCM. So you have to buy 2 credits for the PCM and assign them to your vehicles PCM/VIN.

At this point you will have a free unlock for your PCM, due to buying 6 credits. Need to verify this promotion still applies and arrange this before hand if possible. So, you might as well unlock the PCM..........

Last edited:

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to raise the shift points, then, Yes you need to unlock the PCM.

If you just want to shift harder then you can tune just the TCM. The TCM is unlocked and is a sepearate controller.

But with HPTuners you still have to buy the 4 credits to tune the TCM. AND it will not let you write a tune to the TCM unless you license the PCM. So you have to buy 2 credits for the PCM and assign them to your vehicles PCM/VIN.

At this pint you will have a free unlock for your PCM, due to buying 6 credits. Need to verify this promotion still applies and arrange this before hand if possible. So, you might as well unlock the PCM..........
Thanks; exactly what I was looking for.

I’m thinking it better to get a second PCM to use with tuning; I’d swap them out at the track, as opposed to risking a dealer flashing the one unlocked PCM.

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I can’t answer that , I would presume they can tune it but your factory warranty may also be on the line .When purchasing my engine tune I did buy a second pcm for this exact reason but I’ve always felt a little silly about it because apparently if they look they can tell anyway. I’m still getting free factory services and had a driveshaft replaced on recall last year so maybe they do have to specifically look and doesn’t come up in a general diagnosis.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thanks; exactly what I was looking for.

I’m thinking it better to get a second PCM to use with tuning; I’d swap them out at the track, as opposed to risking a dealer flashing the one unlocked PCM.
Swap PCM's at the track? Not practical or logical. Maybe you just were talking about swapping tunes or calibrations at the track. With HPTuners TCM takes 30 seconds to write. PCM a little longer. If the dealer flashes your PCM you can just write it again. No big deal. But I would not take it in with any Tune in the car either. I do not think they can tell if your PCM is unlocked but they likely can tell if an unauthorized calibration is in the car.

Getting a second PCM is overrated. The only good reason to have one nowadays is if you cannot have the car apart for a week or two. If I was selling the car I would just sell it with the unlocked PCM in it. Unlocking does not bypass the security gateway.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Swap PCM's at the track? Not practical or logical. Maybe you just were talking about swapping tunes or calibrations at the track. With HPTuners TCM takes 30 seconds to write. PCM a little longer. If the dealer flashes your PCM you can just write it again. No big deal. But I would not take it in with any Tune in the car either. I do not think they can tell if your PCM is unlocked but they likely can tell if an unauthorized calibration is in the car.

Getting a second PCM is overrated. The only good reason to have one nowadays is if you cannot have the car apart for a week or two. If I was selling the car I would just sell it with the unlocked PCM in it. Unlocking does not bypass the security gateway.
I’ve heard stories of folks with Diablo tune having their PCM bricked when a dealer flashed it.

Ive had radio issues where the dealer had to hook up to OBD, and my tuned PCM showed up in the diagnostics. My thought was to switch to tuned PCM at the track, to minimize mileage differential. The only time I’d use the tunes is at the track anyways; only takes me a few minutes to swap PCM out.