Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Pissed off beyond belief (vent)... and dash question

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, this week has been pretty shitty, and it just got topped off with a nice big HC cherry. Minor background to understand why it is working on me: my construction/flooring companies just lost three big bids (one because of questionable local politics, one bc the prison got popped and has to spend all the funding on additional fences instead, and one because the bank's corporate office's dropped the ball on their follow up - we went from front runner to out). Moreover, there are complications on the pay out for the building erection we did for the VA hospital here. Then I discover that a number of the crews I have working for me (as well as some of the office staff) are essentially infants. Good at their highly focused jobs (generally) but totally incapable of coordinated vision and insight. I mean, ***damn, I have to hover over them like the lord to make sure some of what, to me, is the most simplistic steps and follow up are carried out (I have to blame the oil field here as it draws some of the best out of the workforce and my margins do not allow me to compete with that). Then, two of my best guys, a master carpenter and a jack of all trades (ex-armored infantry), both have freaking cancer. And I'm trying to buy a place in the Rockies and the process is ridiculous - I've bought plenty of properties but never anything classified as a "vacation home" and I'm about ready to shoot myself. In the past, with USAA, it's been, literally, usually a matter of three phone calls and a signing session, boom, end of story. Now we are into 6 weeks or more of BS with these folks. I'm only really after the land (in this area 8 acres with working well and water association access is rare - the existing small house and metal building, with RV parking, is secondary) but I may just shit can the whole deal. Can you hear the violins? Pass the collection plate!

Enter the Hellcat - driving it around today to try and get some enjoyment out of it. Decide I'll take it on the run to a nearby city 1.5 - 2 hours there and back, but almost take the Expedition instead. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! I'm going to pick up a 10' piece of metal and I've folded the seats and not had a problem before. When I pick it up I notice there are some burs on the end. I am careful putting it in the ride and make sure it doesn't contact the dash when I get it up close to the glass. Make the drive back at 95 to 100 mph for some fun. Get to the work site, no problem, open the trunk (on the damn phone as always) and walk to the passengers door to hold the burred end while I have one of the guys pull it out of trunk, and, AS I AM OPENING THE DOOR the guy grabs the end in the trunk, despite my saying STOP, and pulls it back, allowing the burrs to leave two parallel scratches on the damn dash. He thought he was being helpful, obviously, but damn.

Two mitigating factors though: 1 - I think I might be able to get them out nearly completely with a little careful work (maybe) and 2 - the dash was already eligible for replacement because it sudden developed what a divot in the dash which I was told was a known issue in these dashes and often referred to as a "crop circle." So perhaps this just goes away when the dash gets swapped out.

Now, the question: with the new model year advent of FCA allowing for a leather or other option other than the current dash (for which many a nauga has died), which I would very much like to have, has anyone ever succeeded in paying difference between the basic warranty replacement item and the upgraded part? i.e. I'll pay for whatever the difference is between the stock Naugahyde dash and the leather dash. Knowing other companies, I doubt this will work, but maybe someone where has some actual experience with it with regard to FCA.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
So, this week has been pretty shitty, and it just got topped off with a nice big HC cherry. Minor background to understand why it is working on me: my construction/flooring companies just lost three big bids (one because of questionable local politics, one bc the prison got popped and has to spend all the funding on additional fences instead, and one because the bank's corporate office's dropped the ball on their follow up - we went from front runner to out). Moreover, there are complications on the pay out for the building erection we did for the VA hospital here. Then I discover that a number of the crews I have working for me (as well as some of the office staff) are essentially infants. Good at their highly focused jobs (generally) but totally incapable of coordinated vision and insight. I mean, ***damn, I have to hover over them like the lord to make sure some of what, to me, is the most simplistic steps and follow up are carried out (I have to blame the oil field here as it draws some of the best out of the workforce and my margins do not allow me to compete with that). Then, two of my best guys, a master carpenter and a jack of all trades (ex-armored infantry), both have freaking cancer. And I'm trying to buy a place in the Rockies and the process is ridiculous - I've bought plenty of properties but never anything classified as a "vacation home" and I'm about ready to shoot myself. In the past, with USAA, it's been, literally, usually a matter of three phone calls and a signing session, boom, end of story. Now we are into 6 weeks or more of BS with these folks. I'm only really after the land (in this area 8 acres with working well and water association access is rare - the existing small house and metal building, with RV parking, is secondary) but I may just shit can the whole deal. Can you hear the violins? Pass the collection plate!

Enter the Hellcat - driving it around today to try and get some enjoyment out of it. Decide I'll take it on the run to a nearby city 1.5 - 2 hours there and back, but almost take the Expedition instead. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! I'm going to pick up a 10' piece of metal and I've folded the seats and not had a problem before. When I pick it up I notice there are some burs on the end. I am careful putting it in the ride and make sure it doesn't contact the dash when I get it up close to the glass. Make the drive back at 95 to 100 mph for some fun. Get to the work site, no problem, open the trunk (on the damn phone as always) and walk to the passengers door to hold the burred end while I have one of the guys pull it out of trunk, and, AS I AM OPENING THE DOOR the guy grabs the end in the trunk, despite my saying STOP, and pulls it back, allowing the burrs to leave two parallel scratches on the damn dash. He thought he was being helpful, obviously, but damn.

Two mitigating factors though: 1 - I think I might be able to get them out nearly completely with a little careful work (maybe) and 2 - the dash was already eligible for replacement because it sudden developed what a divot in the dash which I was told was a known issue in these dashes and often referred to as a "crop circle." So perhaps this just goes away when the dash gets swapped out.

Now, the question: with the new model year advent of FCA allowing for a leather or other option other than the current dash (for which many a nauga has died), which I would very much like to have, has anyone ever succeeded in paying difference between the basic warranty replacement item and the upgraded part? i.e. I'll pay for whatever the difference is between the stock Naugahyde dash and the leather dash. Knowing other companies, I doubt this will work, but maybe someone where has some actual experience with it with regard to FCA.
When reviewing you company SOP's...don't leave out inhale...exhale...repeat if necessary...and just think...there are people today...that the biggest decision they will make ...is weather to pick their nose for 5 min. or 10 min...its all relative...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I tried, I really did....

What?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
No prior experience with FCA but my buddy Hector, he can sew you a mean dash. He has some cool fabrics and jewels...

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.54.40 AM.png

The pillows and floor board bread box will cost you extra. :cool:

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Moreover, there are complications on the pay out for the building erection we did for the VA hospital here. Then I discover that a number of the crews I have working for me (as well as some of the office staff) are essentially infants. Good at their highly focused jobs (generally) but totally incapable of coordinated vision and insight. I mean, ***damn, I have to hover over them like the lord to make sure some of what, to me, is the most simplistic steps and follow up are carried out.
I completely understand your frustration on the VA payout. My company has been involved with 3 VA projects in the last year. The VA in Ohio just changed the way they pay for the project. Each item on the pay app needs to be complete 100% before the payment will be made to you. So even though it takes 6 months for another trade to get their work done so we can complete our work we still can not be paid for the labor and material installed to date. I have quit bidding the VA's after this change. As far as my staff goes everyone is over 50. Every young man or woman I hire wants to stand around on Facebook all day and collect a check. They don't last long. Our future generation sure has gotten lazy.

Good luck to you on future projects and getting your dash fixed.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I am sure your dealership will work with you on the part swap. I've done this in the past upgrade/downgrade with warranty/insurance claims.

Those new stitched dashes are sweet.

As for your staff and subs being great or great boobs - remember to manage your expectations of others because they will always let you down. If I could clone myself I would - because I am the only guy I trust to do the job right.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If I could clone myself I would - because I am the only guy I trust to do the job right.
And here I never had any interest in cloning...until you pointed out the ultimate reason.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I tried, I really did....

What?
Anyone ever successfully swapped a factory warrantied part (in this case, the original "base" dash) for an upscale part (in this case the newly available leather dash) by paying the difference between the two?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Guys (and dolls), sorry for the venting. It was like the perfect storm. Normally water off my back, but damn. Gets old.

Thanks Motorhead for the info that you've done something similar before so I know they won't just look at me like I'm the antichrist (they still might, but not because it's not possible).

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
...by paying the difference between the two?
Ok, now I understand...

With that said, this last part is where I personally think the idea falls apart...

Look at how the factory installs a dash (through the windshield) versus how you have to do it after the fact.

Invasive as hell if you ask me, anytime I've had to pull a dash on previous vehicles, I've seriously considered selling the vehicle instead.

But I think you're right, it IS possible, just not at the price Delta in parts.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
No prior experience with FCA but my buddy Hector, he can sew you a mean dash. He has some cool fabrics and jewels...

View attachment 3762

just threw up
Gag!!

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Ok, now I understand...

With that said, this last part is where I personally think the idea falls apart...

Look at how the factory installs a dash (through the windshield) versus how you have to do it after the fact.

Invasive as hell if you ask me, anytime I've had to pull a dash on previous vehicles, I've seriously considered selling the vehicle instead.

But I think you're right, it IS possible, just not at the price Delta in parts.

I know those drawbacks too, and feel the same way. but if they're swearing the install will be as good as the factory, and its paid for under warranty, maybe worth a chance....

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I would bet on the FCA before the VA. Worked as primary contractor at Bay Pines, Haley, Tampa, a many ones in Gainesville. They all have their accounting abilities. BAD. I was getting paid 2 to 3 times for the same project. Attempted to correct it with a refunds, but was told not to screw the accounting system up. Screw it up??. They said to make an accounting note and credit to the next projects. What?? I did, printed it out, and corrected their mistakes over 15 years. School system same way. Unreal.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I think you would have better luck picking up pixie sticks with your butt cheeks than getting them to let you upgrade and pay the difference.
You would have a better chance of finding a helium filled Michael Jordan edition shower curtain ring than them agreeing to it.
Theyre going to ramble on about “warranty” this and “void” that.

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I had the dash pad replaced under warranty on my old 2010 challenger SRT. It development a dip where the passenger airbag was.

After the new dash was installed I'd wished I'd left the original one in it. Because it rattled and squeeked so bad afterwords.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Yep it kinda piss's me off that the Ram truck has a better looking interior than my Hellcat. It's color keyed and leather covered.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Yep it kinda piss's me off that the Ram truck has a better looking interior than my Hellcat. It's color keyed and leather covered.
I think that’s due to such crazy competition in the truck market. They need to do something to compete. The Hellcat? Not so much. It’s all under the hood. Not as important when you're the king of hp.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If you bought a Tradesman, the lowest trim on a Ram, you wouldn't have that problem.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
I had the dash pad replaced under warranty on my old 2010 challenger SRT. It development a dip where the passenger airbag was.

After the new dash was installed I'd wished I'd left the original one in it. Because it rattled and squeeked so bad afterwords.
My greatest fear my man.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20

View attachment 3762

Officer is in for a surprise when he shines that light in my car at night. Could probably drive away before he can see again. And that bread box is where we keep the HK subwoofers, man...