Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Power stop brake squeal

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I put the Power Stop Z26 pads on last year. I have been out a couple times this year and have noticed the pads squealing. Usually worse backing out while the brakes are cold. It seems to go away once the brakes are warn. Does anyone have a way to stop this? I did use some of the Permatex break quiet on the pads before installing them. I also followed the recommended break in period last year.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Mine will do it 1st time backing out of the driveway sometimes but that is it for the day, I can live with a couple of seconds of squeaking over lots of drake dust

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Mine will do it 1st time backing out of the driveway sometimes but that is it for the day, I can live with a couple of seconds of squeaking over lots of drake dust
Same my charger does it backing out of the driveway in the morning sometimes. I had it to one track day a year ago.. I think that contributed to it squealing. My challenger brakes never squeals backing up.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Although my challenger has this annoying clicking sounds in the left wheel when I crank the steering wheel to make a hard turn at speed. I had my mechanic adjust the clips to spec awhile ago seemed to help for a bit then it went back to clicking on hard turns. Doesn’t do anything but the clicking sound is annoying

OP
2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Thanks guys. The squeal is always worse when first backing up for sure. I agree it is a small price to pay to help eliminate the brake dust. I just hate hearing it coming out of my high performance baby...;)
perhaps it will disparate as they wear in.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks guys. The squeal is always worse when first backing up for sure. I agree it is a small price to pay to help eliminate the brake dust. I just hate hearing it coming out of my high performance baby...;)
Nah it really stays the same, squeal might fade a bit.. BTW I just have stock pads. So it’s no just the power stops

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have 7,000 miles on my z26's. I had the same pads on my Daytona with nearly 30k on them with the same results.

OP
2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Understood, thanks Gents.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
To a novice brake squeal in annoying but to the track guy its a sound of high performance brakes. "TRACK GUYS EMBRACE THE SQUEAL" [cheers]

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
CRC Brake Quiet worked great, on my 6.1 Charger. Haven't tried it on my Hellcat, yet.

Bob

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I think the big pads on our 6 piston calipers magnify the issue with all that pad surface. I’ve experimented with 7 different pad manufacturers and most of them ended with squeal to some extent. Stop Tech’s were the quietest I found. Have all the OE Brembo bite and less dust.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It's like a super hot chick farting....it's annoying.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Weird, Ive had three sets of these on three different cars and theyve never squealed. Def not ‘normal’ imo. Nothing to be overly concerned with but for sure can be remedied. I cant remember if these are painted on the edges of the pad material or not. If they are I remember @Blickie mentioning how pads that are painted or coated on the sides should be sanded down to remove it. Other than that I would wonder if they got glazed during break-in. Gotta really heat these up and then let them cool to go through the heat cycle.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I put the Power Stop Z26 pads on last year. I have been out a couple times this year and have noticed the pads squealing. Usually worse backing out while the brakes are cold. It seems to go away once the brakes are warn. Does anyone have a way to stop this? I did use some of the Permatex break quiet on the pads before installing them. I also followed the recommended break in period last year.
All you need to do to stop the brake squeal is remove the pads, whiz off the paint per the pic, lube with a high-temp silicone brake lube and reinstall. You do not need any other "Anti-Squeal" stuff.

Remove.Paint.jpg

Power Stop Z26-1405 Pads Lube Points.jpg

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
CRC Brake Quiet worked great, on my 6.1 Charger. Haven't tried it on my Hellcat, yet.

Bob
You don't need this stuff. All you need to do is removed the paint from the sides of all friction pucks. See my other post.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
And for me the trick has been to do an aggressive stop it two.

And like @Blickie points out, I use brake pad lube at installation in the first place.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here is the Technical Explanation why the paint should be removed from the sides of Friction Pucks:

Brake heat softens the paint and it balls up, rolls onto the brake pad. The sticky, soft paint causes the brake pad to "chatter" on the rotor instead of sliding. We hear that "chatter" as a high frequency brake noise. Most of the time, this noise usually occurs at or near the end of a normal stop at or below 15 MPH. Increasing brake pedal pressure may help attenuate the brake noise which can be a diagnosis confirmation of this issue. To prevent any and all of this brake noise, just whiz the paint off the friction puck and lube with a good, high quality silicone brake lube. You can remove the paint prior to initial pad install or you can perform this procedure to existing pads and then reinstall. If existing pads, also whiz the surface of the pad off as well to removed any imbedded paint (you can't see).

OP
2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Thanks to you all. I’ve tried some aggressive stops in both directions. I’ll look into buzzing the edge finish off.
Why does the manufacture not just stop finishing the edge??

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks to you all. I’ve tried some aggressive stops in both directions. I’ll look into buzzing the edge finish off.
Why does the manufacture not just stop finishing the edge??
Aggressive stops do not work long term. The only long term fix is whizzing off the paint.

Manufacturers paint to prevent the steel plate from rusting & most refuse to use an anodized plate due to costs so they paint. And then there are the very stubborn Product Manager that just won't listen to proven data because of product costs. So, our only option is to whiz the paint off and it is 100% effective.

Best!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Weird, Ive had three sets of these on three different cars and theyve never squealed. Def not ‘normal’ imo. Nothing to be overly concerned with but for sure can be remedied. I cant remember if these are painted on the edges of the pad material or not. If they are I remember @Blickie mentioning how pads that are painted or coated on the sides should be sanded down to remove it. Other than that I would wonder if they got glazed during break-in. Gotta really heat these up and then let them cool to go through the heat cycle.
Some brake systems have more mass and thus better attenuate brake noise & tuned out of our hearing range. When a pad rubs on a rotor, there is always a Resonance created; hopefully it is always tune out of our hearing range with mass and correct installation. It has nothing to do with break-in procedures. I also don't recommend heating the new brakes up to bed or break them in. Remember, when you heat up the brakes, that heat goes into the pads AND the rotor. I just take it easy for a couple hundred miles to burnish them in. Then, if I need them they are ready...

Best!