Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Questions for those of you that trailer your Cats

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@Jimmy N. I get your concerns about a 1500.
A modern 1500 is so far removed from an older one that there is no comparison.
I know my trailer is there but in no way is it unsafe. The brakes on my 1500 aren't much different than the ones we used to have on old 1 tons. Towing with a ram with coil spring suspension I would pass on. My trucks have all had the 4 corner air suspension and tow completely different than a regular suspension truck. For day to day I have zero desire to drive around in a 2500 or 3500. Been there done that plus they still have the old small cab.
Now I was towing cars when I was 20 and have gone to towing big trucks, hauling heavy equipment, driving long haul and finally driving a tractor trailer locally for many years.
Nothing about pulling my car on my open trailer has come close to concerning me. My friends 24' enclosed is ok also but just ok. You have to pay more attention and be aware of what you are doing. Unsafe? Not usually, but the chances of getting in trouble are increased for sure.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
@Jimmy N. I get your concerns about a 1500.
A modern 1500 is so far removed from an older one that there is no comparison.
My experiences have been with a '14 and a '21. I won't even count the fiascos with a Dakota and an '05 GM.

Anyway, as somebody mentioned earlier, the tow vehicle can't be too large or heavy. That I agree with 100%.
Having taken way too many chances in life, but somehow lived to tell about them, I'm not about to have towing with a 1/2-ton end it all. Or worse, taking someone else's life.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I use a 2003 2500hd duramax. 405,000 miles and still going. Tows a 28 foot trailer no problem. Now buying a ATC 28 foot

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
There's an interesting conversation to be had about brakes and tires on a Ram 1500. I would point out that if you have great brakes but shitty tires, yeah it will 100% be sketchy. If you tow on Mud Tires, that's 100% on you, they are not made for towing or load rated, period. Learned that when I first got my truck and sold those Mud Hogs immediately. Now I'm rocking the Michelin Defenders which are tow rated. When my brakes are due, I will be switching to this kit: https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-brake-kit/ or https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-brake-kit-calipers/ if the calipers are on their way out after inspection.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My '14 came with 20-inch wheels which I quickly changed to 17s and put Michelin LTX(?) on. That was primarily to get better overall gearing and it really woke it up, allowing it to get into 8th gear without having to do 110 mph.

The '21 had Goodyear Wranglers on it, which seems to be a decent tire, but they were the widest allowed for the wheels and handled accordingly.

Could've gone up in wheel size, both width and diameter (to accommodate something larger than the almost bad OE brakes) but didn't feel like trying to find some with all the correct measurements - that also looked acceptable.

Instead I put narrower tires on it. Of course, all of this was to improve performance and handling, and traction on snow and ice. I really couldn't care less about how they'd handle towing, because if it came to that I'd obviously have other issues, which forced me to use a 1500 for towing.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I had 2 open trailers in the past, both 18' IIRC, towing with a 1500 Ram. That was fine, but about 4 years ago I upgraded to a 24' Haulmark enclosed. I still use a 1500. Started with a 2016 Ram, then a 2019 and more recently a 2021. Each time I've had the 3.92 gears and added the larger Hellwig rear sway bar. I had never had the air suspension.
When I went with the enclosed trailer I've been pretty cautious. I added the Timbren rear bump stops to help if I get a little overloaded, especially over bumps. The Equalizer weight distribution hitch has been a game changer for me. At first I was using an Anderson sway-away and that did nothing to help with weight distribution. It was recommended by the trailer shop, but I quickly got rid of it after a few test pulls and some research.
With my Challenger and a spare set of wheels/tires, floor jack, tools, 5 jugs of gasoline, etc. I feel fine towing with this combination unless I get into some side winds in open areas. That can make me slow down. The RZR is so much easier to tow. ;)
I live in flat country though, so I'd keep that in mind. I also don't tow more than 2 hours from home more than maybe once every other year.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My favorite WD hitches are the Reese Dual Cam and the Husky (can't remember the model name of that one) with active sway control.

That both help keep the trailer and tow vehicle in line makes a big difference, especially when passing tractor trailers with a lightly laden or empty enclosed trailer. The Reese also helped a lot when having a cabover camper on a dually.

Used those during the years of the bi-weekly 1,000 mile commute between CA and here, on 16' trailers pulled mostly with a Ram 2500.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I used to use my 2019 Ram 2500 mega 6.4 Hemi to tow my 28 foot enclosed. It pulled and stopped great. The fuel mileage was horrible though. after the trip to Rockingham and back less than 900 miles round trip, and having to fill up 6 times. I broke down and traded it in on a 2022 Ram 2500 Cummins. It pulls so much nicer and seeing close to double the fuel mileage loaded and unloaded.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I used to use my 2019 Ram 2500 mega 6.4 Hemi to tow my 28 foot enclosed. It pulled and stopped great. The fuel mileage was horrible though. after the trip to Rockingham and back less than 900 miles round trip, and having to fill up 6 times. I broke down and traded it in on a 2022 Ram 2500 Cummins. It pulls so much nicer and seeing close to double the fuel mileage loaded and unloaded.
Need the best and newest tow rig when you have a trailer queen :p

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
While at work today I checked the si,e of brakes for fun.
My 2019 DT Ram 1500 has tiny 14.89" front rotors. The DT also went to 6lug wheels.
I did not look up the DS Ram which is now the Classic or old body style.
The 2022 Ram 2500 has 14.14" front rotors.
:unsure:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Not having compared rotor sizes, I know from experience that a 2500 has more effective brakes than a 1500.

Also, it's really rare that I use the brakes on my 3500, except when coming to a complete stop, since the exhaust brake handles up to 39,000 lbs. GCVWR even on grades exceeding 8% just fine.

Or put differently, there are vehicles you can tow with, and then there are vehicles that are nice and safe to tow with.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Need the best and newest tow rig when you have a trailer queen :p
I try and race every weekend. most tracks are over 2 hours from me. so yeah i will always trailer to those locations. saving my tires, and fuel. especially because we do not have E85 available here.