Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye drive shaft

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Ive heard about various problems with after market drive shafts for our hellcat. But haven't really heard of many issues with the demon/Redeye ds. Why is it we can't adapt a redeye ds to our cars?

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Pretty sure it’s being done.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
That was a 2015 issue.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #4
My son tried to buy a ds from a we'll known manufacturer and was told they were having some issues and had hulted production. I also heard that another maker had stopped making their carbon fiber/ aluminium ds due to issues.
I guess the biggest problems I hear about now is vibrations.
My son talked to the president or owner of Litens "the pulley manufacturer" and he told him the drive shafts are too long to be 1 piece that's why they vibrate. That's why I asked about the redeye ds.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
My son tried to buy a ds from a we'll known manufacturer and was told they were having some issues and had hulted production. I also heard that another maker had stopped making their carbon fiber/ aluminium ds due to issues.
I guess the biggest problems I hear about now is vibrations.
My son talked to the president or owner of Litens "the pulley manufacturer" and he told him the drive shafts are too long to be 1 piece that's why they vibrate. That's why I asked about the redeye ds.
Right. Those reasons are good enough to avoid the aftermarket units for most folks who buy into the fear mongering without justification. As for the Redeye DS it might be better:

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/redeye-driveshaft-upgrade.222549/

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/so-the-demon-re-driveshaft-will-work-in-a-hellcat.237064/

If it fits, which it won't. The Charger has a 4" longer wheelbase and that won't work with the Challenger driveshafts; assuming you want to put it in a Charger.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #6
So do you feel the stock ds in the 2016 hc is safe for occasional track use with drag radials?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
So do you feel the stock ds in the 2016 hc is safe for occasional track use with drag radials?
Assuming it was revised from the 2015 and not a carry over, yes. The video in the second link I posted gives you the part number (53010846AB) for the Redeye unit - that would be a surefire improvement if you are worried. 1 piece aftermarket units are very hit or miss.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Yes the Redeye/Demon DS is stronger than the Hellcats DS. I believe as long as you have a Challenger A8 it should fit, but I haven't heard of many trying it. I'd only buy a RE DS if you can find a nice used one on the cheap. Otherwise you might as well spend the money and get an aftermarket one. 2015 was the worst year for the DS, they kept getting better and better after that.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I thought they updated the 16 DS but after that they made no additional changes?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
When I bought my 2015 I noticed on the carfax the ds was changed under warranty. Well after having it some time I had the moaning noise coming from the diff and brought it in and they changed the ds again. I didn’t think it was the issue but I didn’t argue since I was getting a new ds under warranty. The noise persisted and I finally got them to change the diff fluid and problem solved. When I looked up the part numbers it seems like there were 6 or 7 different ds part numbers since 2015 and even though I got my latest one in late 2018 I think, there were 2 or 3 updated part numbers since then. I’m curious to know how will the one I have hold up comparatively speaking. I can post all the part numbers. I guess I’m a little noid when I comes to ds since it’s been changed twice. Also now out of warranty and with dr’s

Kotta376

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fate
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I’m running a Redeye/Demon driveshaft in my ‘16 and it is silky smooth. I did not trust my stock unit which last two digits were AH iirc. Anyways it was worth my piece of mind to install a heavier duty driveshaft in my car after the issues that are STILL ongoing with aftermarket one piece. I have talked to two different companies who are no longer building one piece driveshafts and they both said the Hellcat need a two piece for the correct NVH.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #12
I’m running a Redeye/Demon driveshaft in my ‘16 and it is silky smooth. I did not trust my stock unit which last two digits were AH iirc. Anyways it was worth my piece of mind to install a heavier duty driveshaft in my car after the issues that are STILL ongoing with aftermarket one piece. I have talked to two different companies who are no longer building one piece driveshafts and they both said the Hellcat need a two piece for the correct NVH.
Great information. Thank you for sharing it.

Kotta376

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fate
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Great information. Thank you for sharing it.
No problem if you need any info on this let me know. I even put torque seal on the bolts “just to be sure!” 7B192EFE-1D51-4D72-B08C-886FAE42BC31.jpeg

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #14
So it was a direct bolt in?

Kotta376

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fate
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So it was a direct bolt in?
100% zero issues. Now it’s only good on challengers. If anyone has a charger this will not work.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
No problem if you need any info on this let me know. I even put torque seal on the bolts “just to be sure!” View attachment 7574
What were the bolt torque specs front and rear?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
49 Ft. Lbs thanks

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
100% zero issues. Now it’s only good on challengers. If anyone has a charger this will not work.
Did you use new bolts (as per Rayzazoo's PDF) ?

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Anyone know if the bolts need replacing when doing a driveshaft swap? It appears the DS on #Kotta376 's use 8 Torx style bolts. Everything I've read regarding DS bolts keeps referring to 3 "pink bolts".