Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye OEM Intake Fiter

Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Does anyone know if the OEM Intake Filter is oiled or dry? Dealer is telling me that it is dry and not reusable, but it looks like it can be cleaned and reused. Thanks.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Does anyone know if the OEM Intake Filter is oiled or dry? Dealer is telling me that it is dry and not reusable, but it looks like it can be cleaned and reused. Thanks.
If it's the dry filter, you can clean it and reuse it. As long as it doesn't get damaged, it should last a good long time, and certainly more than 50k miles. I installed AEM dry filters in our company trucks in Afghanistan because it was so dusty there and stock paper filters were useless, and we washed those filters out every 30 days or sooner depending on how much driving we did.
It should tell you in the owners manual whether or not it needs to be oiled (and should tell you the p/n of the service kit that contains the oil and cleaner for it).
Based on what I found in the FCA manual, it says to replace the air filter at 50,000 miles, so I'm gonna say it's the dry filter. The oiled ones in the Demon said to clean them and re-oil them, and gave you the p/n for the kit to do it. Chrysler has since discontinued that kit. I have the oiled filter in my car and switched it over to the dry filter just so I don't have to deal with the whole oiling fiasco
Here is the link to the Supplemental manual for 2019 Challengers, and if you look starting around page 168 you will find the listing for the 6.2L Supercharged engine and it's maintenance schedule. Hope this helps.
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2019/2019E-Challenger-UG-2nd.pdf

OP
bc_hellcat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Thread Starter #3
If it's the dry filter, you can clean it and reuse it. As long as it doesn't get damaged, it should last a good long time, and certainly more than 50k miles. I installed AEM dry filters in our company trucks in Afghanistan because it was so dusty there and stock paper filters were useless, and we washed those filters out every 30 days or sooner depending on how much driving we did.
It should tell you in the owners manual whether or not it needs to be oiled (and should tell you the p/n of the service kit that contains the oil and cleaner for it).
Based on what I found in the FCA manual, it says to replace the air filter at 50,000 miles, so I'm gonna say it's the dry filter. The oiled ones in the Demon said to clean them and re-oil them, and gave you the p/n for the kit to do it. Chrysler has since discontinued that kit. I have the oiled filter in my car and switched it over to the dry filter just so I don't have to deal with the whole oiling fiasco
Here is the link to the Supplemental manual for 2019 Challengers, and if you look starting around page 168 you will find the listing for the 6.2L Supercharged engine and it's maintenance schedule. Hope this helps.
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2019/2019E-Challenger-UG-2nd.pdf
Thank you very much. Very informative. I already purchased anew one and installed it today. it is red like an oiled filter typically looks, but it is very dry. I probably didnt need to get a new one but the old one was so dirty and didnt even look red anymore. Anyway, I will check out the manual. Thanks.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thank you very much. Very informative. I already purchased anew one and installed it today. it is red like an oiled filter typically looks, but it is very dry. I probably didnt need to get a new one but the old one was so dirty and didnt even look red anymore. Anyway, I will check out the manual. Thanks.
Glad to help. You can use any of the typical cleaners (409, Fantastic, etc) to clean your old one and put it on the shelf for quick change out. All of the cleaners in those kits are a light detergent just like those others, so no need to pay big money for theirs.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I bought a second filter just to be able to swap and clean them easy, I'm assuming it's a dry filter than can be cleaned like was stated above. They sure do get dirty quick, mine looks noticeably dirty at about 5500 miles. I do live in the desert though.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I bought a second filter just to be able to swap and clean them easy, I'm assuming it's a dry filter than can be cleaned like was stated above. They sure do get dirty quick, mine looks noticeably dirty at about 550 miles. I do live in the desert though.
Yeah, and that's what makes the dry filters so nice....rinse them out, and they dry quick in the sun

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
To check if it is an oiled or dry filter simply press a piece of tissue paper on it... if it's oiled it will transfer to the tissue.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
To check if it is an oiled or dry filter simply press a piece of tissue paper on it... if it's oiled it will transfer to the tissue.
There's a dirty joke in there somewhere....I just know there is....

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Yeah, and that's what makes the dry filters so nice....rinse them out, and they dry quick in the sun
Pfft... I just shake 'em out real good and then pop them back on. There isn't enough residual moisture to have an adverse effect.

I have AEM dryflow's on the TBSS, Mrs' truck, and my turbo Monte. Plus they have a nice internal cage to prevent collapsing under boost.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Pfft... I just shake 'em out real good and then pop them back on. There isn't enough residual moisture to have an adverse effect.

I have AEM dryflow's on the TBSS, Mrs' truck, and my turbo Monte. Plus they have a nice internal cage to prevent collapsing under boost.
LOVE AEM Dryflow's. Sturdy, dependable, and they get the job done......they sound like the ME of filters :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: