Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Renovations of the new house - the wire of death

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
So we're into the full rewiring, gaslining, plumbing, and remodeling of the new house. Going to be more expensive than I forecast. Knew we needed to pull the aluminum supply lines to the electrical panels (copper runs everywhere, just aluminum supplies, and five panels FIVE to change out), install master cut off, install two new receptacles, etc...; discard compactor, remove existing dishwasher; run gas lines to the dryer area, oven area, and cooktop (as well as a nipple and hose for the gas grill that I'll roll out to use and put away when not in use); scope new water lines and electric, as well as walls and plumbing for master suite, and repair 12 x 30 stone walled chimney (including new damper assembly). Some surprises - there was non-black-iron gas pipe in use in some areas (big no no in these parts, so swap all that out), guys set off the old fire alarm and I could not get them the code until after the thing stopped screeching after 20 minutes on its own, then today's present - 120 volts live on a ground wire. No idea how long that is going to take to chase down and I'd rather not start tearing into the great room ceiling. Also found that the master suite had been through a major remodel at sometime in the past, and there are about 10 water supply lines inside one of the walls I want to remove. Have to find them and kill them at the source, cannot cap them and leave them in the slab here.

May need to sell the Charger after all.

fuck time on watch.gif

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
You KNOW I have a challenge with letters and words, yet still, you never post pictures to go with your stories...

(From the dog, owner grunted sounds, I typed out the message with my dewclaws)

OP
Magnified

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Thread Starter #3
Was just over there, may take a few pics next time. Sorry about that.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Thread Starter #4
Well, about two days more on the electrical - increased cost as noted but will be essentially perfect except for on supply line from on panel to the double ovens. Upon inspection it is worth risk in short term (good double gas oven is $10K plus). Will install a sub-rating breaker for extra assurance, and go with it until we switch it to gas.

In the master suite I templated the area, sat down at the desk and within less than 20 minutes had the solution worked out. My wife said I've got a knack for this or something. It's a beautiful solution that preserves the layout we want and minimizes pipe tracing and excessive trenching in the slab. I then went over in the middle of the night (yes, I'm that kind of person) and walked the site and verified all dimensions and exact measurements. Will get with plumbers on Tuesday and lay it out for them (they kind of freaked when they saw all the caps and branches all over that slab). Still expensive as F but I feel much better about it. Also, where I originally planned the new walls preserves structural integrity so no need to reinforce load bearing beams.

Something else cool - I run a Michelin SUV tire, the best I've ever seen, on my Expedition EL. Get over 100,000 miles on them (swapped the old four off my old expedition onto this one when I bought it, and put the tires from it on the old one prior to sale - that's how much I believe in it - handles mud rain snow without a blink). And in all the trips I've made pulling flat bed and dump trailers to the landfill here I've never gotten a flat with them. My guys will go with their trailers and almost always get them. One guy gets one or TWO every time. Anyway - made dump run from the new house today and no flats again. Can't remember what they're called at the moment. If interested I'll post them up.

Working on drawings for a three story YMCA tomorrow. Probably cost between 10 and 18 million to build. Need a bond issue and grants. We'll see what comes of it.

looking for phone book.gif

OP
Magnified

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Thread Starter #5
So we're still finding surprises - like in Dino Delaurentis' version of Dune, we're searching the keep and still finding traps. All the aluminum supplier wire is out now except one huge strand that runs through the garage ceiling to power the double ovens (and I have a feeling the idiots spliced it into copper somewhere up there to pass inspection - both ends are copper, Mr. Inspector, so it must be copper all the way through!). Probably going to go across the garage ceiling with conduit and then through the wall and across the top of the kitchen cabinets to the oven cabinet and then down inside and just kill the existing line.

Here's a photo of an aluminum to copper splice on the line to the east AC compressor unit. And a shot of the master bath wall with 13 plumbing penetrations at the base. Note the drywall trapped between the studs from the last "renovation." That wall is going away completely. Will redistribute all of that and run much up through a new water closet wall and distribute through the ceiling. BTW, this is a 1975 architectural "master piece"... the roof is nearly flat, but with a significant pitch (or I'd never have bought it) and has at the peak about 2' of clearance. Above this bathroom we're talking about 12 to 16 inches of space. And they decked it. lol. my mind boggles.

As previously noted, we've changed out the entire gas system (house pressurizes fine but supply line was like a blown tire). So we excavate the entire thing and among all the swiss cheese we found the riser to the house connection was so worn away you could turn it 180 degrees by hand - if it hadn't had the 90 on it you could have just spun it. Anyway, all black iron for protection of the poly tubing.

Cutting the slab, removing and adding walls, sealing up all the cuts, drywall tape bed texture and paint all the rest, and then we can begin finishing work for real. Re-tiling the other shower, framing in the new master shower (all the tile which was delayed should be in next week, two tons worth). Ripping out tile in what will be my office, etc.... Jesus. I'm getting too old for all this, 4 businesses and three kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm just bossing, can't do the heavy work anymore according to the doc.

copper to aluminum splice.jpg

gas line outside.jpg

gasline merrygoground.jpg

Master shower wall.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
That wire splice is awesome...

OP
Magnified

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Thread Starter #7
Isn't it now? I'm surprised they plastic hadn't already melted.... and the guage of the damn wire. This isnt some receptacle line that's been jacked with, that thing is pushing 35 amps.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Isn't it now? I'm surprised they plastic hadn't already melted.... and the guage of the damn wire. This isnt some receptacle line that's been jacked with, that thing is pushing 35 amps.

7,000 watts isn't THAT much is it???

;)

OP
Magnified

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Thread Starter #9
lol just enough to kill you extra dead

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Scary to see what someone will do to save a little time/cash,more photos please👍

DGatzby

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I’ll be brief. I hate remodeling, and now I am old enough to never engage in it ever again.

Whatknot

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ford Mustang GT convertible
I was 18, rented a half of a duplex. The hot water tank went out, so the landlord replaced it, and the new tank kept blowing the breaker. So he bought a larger amperage breaker and replaced it...tada fixed
I didn't know that you couldn't do that back then, I was a teenager, not a smart one either. About a week later had an electrical fire. Apparently just upping the breaker size, not the wire to, causes the wire to over heat lol.

I had an excuse, i was 18, my landlord who was about 60 didn't have an excuse the dumbass.

jroyk

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
So we're still finding surprises - like in Dino Delaurentis' version of Dune, we're searching the keep and still finding traps. All the aluminum supplier wire is out now except one huge strand that runs through the garage ceiling to power the double ovens (and I have a feeling the idiots spliced it into copper somewhere up there to pass inspection - both ends are copper, Mr. Inspector, so it must be copper all the way through!). Probably going to go across the garage ceiling with conduit and then through the wall and across the top of the kitchen cabinets to the oven cabinet and then down inside and just kill the existing line.

Here's a photo of an aluminum to copper splice on the line to the east AC compressor unit. And a shot of the master bath wall with 13 plumbing penetrations at the base. Note the drywall trapped between the studs from the last "renovation." That wall is going away completely. Will redistribute all of that and run much up through a new water closet wall and distribute through the ceiling. BTW, this is a 1975 architectural "master piece"... the roof is nearly flat, but with a significant pitch (or I'd never have bought it) and has at the peak about 2' of clearance. Above this bathroom we're talking about 12 to 16 inches of space. And they decked it. lol. my mind boggles.

As previously noted, we've changed out the entire gas system (house pressurizes fine but supply line was like a blown tire). So we excavate the entire thing and among all the swiss cheese we found the riser to the house connection was so worn away you could turn it 180 degrees by hand - if it hadn't had the 90 on it you could have just spun it. Anyway, all black iron for protection of the poly tubing.

Cutting the slab, removing and adding walls, sealing up all the cuts, drywall tape bed texture and paint all the rest, and then we can begin finishing work for real. Re-tiling the other shower, framing in the new master shower (all the tile which was delayed should be in next week, two tons worth). Ripping out tile in what will be my office, etc.... Jesus. I'm getting too old for all this, 4 businesses and three kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm just bossing, can't do the heavy work anymore according to the doc.

View attachment 43220

View attachment 43221

View attachment 43222

View attachment 43223
Looks like an episode of Holmes Inspection. :oops: