Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Resale value on Durango SRT after last call?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Nunya
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Durango R/T
Hi All,

R/T owner that always wanted an SRT. MSRP is up almost 8k on the base model since 2019 which sucks, so its a bit harder to own now. But, does anyone think these SRTs will remain expensive and hold their value well after 2023 MY? I remember almost pulling the trigger on an FJ Crusier back in 2014 when MSRP was 30k. Then, the used ones went for 45k after it was discontinued..

Trying to maximize value as I won't really use it often and it is actually hard to justify owning. Its going to be a weekend car essentially. I'd prefer if most of the payments weren't going to depreciation.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hi All,

R/T owner that always wanted an SRT. MSRP is up almost 8k on the base model since 2019 which sucks, so its a bit harder to own now. But, does anyone think these SRTs will remain expensive and hold their value well after 2023 MY? I remember almost pulling the trigger on an FJ Crusier back in 2014 when MSRP was 30k. Then, the used ones went for 45k after it was discontinued..

Trying to maximize value as I won't really use it often and it is actually hard to justify owning. Its going to be a weekend car essentially. I'd prefer if most of the payments weren't going to depreciation.

I've got a DSRT and wondered the same thing myself. The problem is, the wider market versus the niche market. For Dodge enthusiasts, the market should go up, for the general populous, who knows, how many are going to be drawn into the whole EV thing and not want to touch an ICE motor anything...

Any answer you get is going to be speculation at best... Certainly mine...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
New poster to see what we think? For one thing we cannot be sure you can score a big V8 new in the future. What does that tell ya?

If your borrowing cash for a weekend vehicle? WTF? That is another story, you have other things to consider. These vehicles cannot be considered investments. Mine is a keeper for a long time because my collection of toys and vehicles are going to stop soon and I am going out to the big house on the prairie and just watch and enjoy myself with friends and loved ones. The country is going to hell unless the next election is NOT rigged.

Won’t sell anyone my new ‘23 for at least $15-20k more than I paid including sales tax. Too hard to score another, the unit is way too nice compared to other shit on the market for the same cost right now. My buddy has one of those new Lincoln Aviator deals. It don’t ride 1/2 as nice or quiet as the DDSRT. Dont have the adjustable drive modes. Don’t sound for shit at all like the 392. Not half as cool. Don’t run as smooth. Don’t tow like it either. Costs the same or more. We would have to spend at least $100k on something else or attempt to order another, and there is no guarantee that would happen at this point.

What do you think OP? Interest rates are expensive, inflation is continuing to climb AND a damn Depression is going to happen. That is going to suck for anyone who don’t have a boatload of cash or solid property as assets. So be careful, sir. Don’t be a loser.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Hi All,
You didn't need our help. You've answered your own question.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
On the other hand, suppose that after student loans they'll forgive credit card debt, mortgages, and car loans.
You'll basically get a free car.

Besides, we only live once.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
On the other hand, suppose that after student loans they'll forgive credit card debt, mortgages, and car loans.
You'll basically get a free car.

Besides, we only live once.
This is exactly my plan for affording final car #7.

Getting an allocation for one will be the subject of another story.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My understanding is that there's going to be 0 Hemi engines in any Mopar after 2023? Am I correct?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My understanding is that there's going to be 0 Hemi engines in any Mopar after 2023? Am I correct?

That is my understanding as well.

Given how things are going, anything is possible.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That is my understanding as well.

Given how things are going, anything is possible.
Who is going to buy a 1500 Ram with a V6?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I think I saw that the TRX may make into '24. Which could be possible since those wouldn't have to meet car emission standards.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Who is going to buy a 1500 Ram with a V6?
I did, in '14, as a practical car. And it was.

It got very close to Ecodiesel mileage, too, but being a 1500 it couldn't really haul anything, and towing even an empty little flatbed was out of the question, largely because of the soft suspension.

Overall I liked it, but sold that one about three years ago - because it was incredibly boring.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
But how about a 2500, or 3500, or even bigger?

I guess diesel only?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I did, in '14, as a practical car. And it was.

It got very close to Ecodiesel mileage, too, but being a 1500 it couldn't really haul anything, and towing even an empty little flatbed was out of the question, largely because of the soft suspension.

Overall I liked it, but sold that one about three years ago - because it was incredibly boring.
You answered it. A very narrow market.

Someone told me that you can buy a Silverado with a 4 cylinder

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

I guess diesel only?
I'd think they'll still get to keep the gas engines. Especially since many fleets are apparently switching back to gassers these days.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

I guess diesel only?
Not making much sense to me.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You answered it. A very narrow market.

Someone told me that you can buy a Silverado with a 4 cylinder
Probably not all that narrow. Seems like an awful lot of people use a 1500 as a car (and they do with 2500s and 3500s, too).

With inflated J2807 tow ratings and able to tell people they have "a truck", the modern 1500s are far more popular than I would've ever guessed they could be. But it kinda makes sense since so many insist on a car-like ride, and apparently very few know how painfully low the payload is, even on paper.

There's a reason I always referred to my 1500 as a car with a little bed on the back.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Probably not all that narrow. Seems like an awful lot of people use a 1500 as a car (and they do with 2500s and 3500s, too).

With inflated J2807 tow ratings and able to tell people they have "a truck", the modern 1500s are far more popular than I would've ever guessed they could be. But it kinda makes sense since so many insist on a car-like ride, and apparently very few know how painfully low the payload is, even on paper.

There's a reason I always referred to my 1500 as a car with a little bed on the back.
I saw where manufacturers have pulled back on the tow ratings for trucks that have already been sold.

The 1500 I had would of died at a very early age if it towed anywhere near 11,800 lbs.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I saw where manufacturers have pulled back on the tow ratings for trucks that have already been sold.
Wow, hadn't heard about that one. But it's great news if that's the case.

For example, I used an F150 Ecoboost for one of my 1,000-mile "commutes" with a 16-foot enclosed trailer. Was concerned it would handle the grades, but it did that just fine. While using more gas than my 2500 with a 5.7, but still.

Anyway, the real wake up call was when checking out the hardware underneath. That thing had a higher tow rating than my 2500...with a rear axle about half the size. Yeah, how long would that have lasted if actually believing in the tow rating?

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I believe the Jeep wrangler 392 will be available for another year or two? Rumor mill info here! So buy em while you can!!!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I believe the Jeep wrangler 392 will be available for another year or two? Rumor mill info here! So buy em while you can!!!
A buddy of mine just bought one. Really sweet. Personally I'm done buying right now.