Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Something about something

Hunter

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat

SilverBillet

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2013 Charger Daytona (Hellcat sold 5/16/20)
Are pilots of these planes supposed to limit their speed to a maximum amount when they are in the air “practicing”?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Are pilots of these planes supposed to limit their speed to a maximum amount when they are in the air “practicing”?

We had "limits" for different scenarios, Aero can speak to his particular ride.

SilverBillet

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2013 Charger Daytona (Hellcat sold 5/16/20)
Does an air traffic controller monitor you?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

3000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #27
The report mentioned he had his HUD on while trying to land at night (when he damaged his landing gear). @AeroF16, is it standard practice to shut that off at night when it becomes a problem? Is that practiced in training? Curious...

AeroF16

Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yes and no.

When transiting to and from, I think the FAA wants you less than 250 knots below 10k', cant remember if there are any other limits.

Once I'm in the MOA or ATCAA, I can do whatever I want within the letter of agreement between the military and the FAA for that specific airspace. Some airspace is approved for Supersonic, others are not.

However, there is a clause about being able to exceed "speed limits" if your aircraft manual dictates higher speeds due to design. Most fighters aren't designed to fly slow, so that's our out.

Other than, sometimes controllers will ask you to adjust your speed to help them sequence planes into an airport. Usually ill comply, especially when they ask for "max forward airspeed".

AeroF16

Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Does an air traffic controller monitor you?
Almost always but their radar has limitations and below a specific altitude (totally dependent on the area you are flying in), they cannot deconflict you from terrain or obstacles. That's called their "Minimum Vectoring Altitude". Controllers, if you are on an IFR clearance, are really responsible for deconflicting you from other aircraft, not the ground, though they will absolutely help out or caution you if you are doing something stupid.

That's what instrument approaches are designed for. They will safely bring you in, around terrain and obstacles, if you are following the procedures for the approach properly.

There are approaches called PARs where a controller who is specially trained and has the proper equipment could talk you through the entire approach until you hit the runway. The military is trained to do this in the event we have to take off and land on highways or interstates but not many airports have such approaches.

Linda's Hell Cat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
It's not me.
I'll always tell you the truth
Good or bad I care about you my friend !.
Whatever it is I'm your mom I care !!

Linda :)

AeroF16

Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The report mentioned he had his HUD on while trying to land at night (when he damaged his landing gear). @AeroF16, is it standard practice to shut that off at night when it becomes a problem? Is that practiced in training? Curious...
We use the HUD for our primary reference for flying instrument approaches, it makes flying the approach significantly easier than flying off the raw gauges themselves.

Flying without the HUD is much more difficult because we don't train to flying approaches like that as often. We are all still able to do it obviously but it's just a different cross check, so it takes significantly more work.

His HUD was not the problem. I haven't read the unclassified article about the incident, so I don't want to say too much because "Safety Privelege" applies, but he just made a simple mistake which turned into a big problem. Then, the experienced pilots and the pilot on the ground (Supervisor of Flying) made poor decisions on how to handle the emergency and ultimately came to the wrong conclusion. When that became apparent, MEZr ejected and got out of the jet but after that his seat didn't function properly and ultimately killed him.

Had leadership made some better decisions, a. MEZr wouldn't have been flying that night (too difficult of a sortie for a guy with that little experience) and b. They would've came to a better conclusion on how to handle the emergency, which might have given him enough time to figure out his seat problem before hitting the ground.

For the guys who decided how he should handle the emergency, they just neglected to use all the available tools to aid in the decision process and ultimately recommended the wrong action. MEZr questioned them a bit (I've listened to his tapes recovered from the crash) but ultimately trusted them because of their level of experience and his lack of experience. I feel bad for those guys, they were just trying to do the right thing and help him get on the ground safely.

The leadership that accepted the risk of letting MEZr fly that night though, no excuse for them.

Hunter

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
My comment was on yours and hellcatcfp not updating hellno's ET to 8 seconds.
I may have misunderstood your post.

Guilty, I just plain missed it, even without this stuff.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

3000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
My comment was on yours and hellcatcfp not updating hellno's ET to 8 seconds.
I may have misunderstood your post.
I am confused as well. Did I initially give Hellno the wrong banner? I don't recall getting a notification to update anything as well? I'm confused but glad it got fixed.

Hunter

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
I am confused as well. Did I initially give Hellno the wrong banner? I don't recall getting a notification to update anything as well? I'm confused but glad it got fixed.
He finally got a 8 second ET.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

3000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
Ok, got it. Must have missed the notification for some reason? My apologies to Hellno.

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Congrats @hellno - good job buddy.

@AeroF16 & @BULL & the rest of you guys - I could read this stuff all day. Thanks for making a thread for it.
I did very well on my ASVAB test back in HS, wanted to fly F14s, but as I recall my vision wasn't good enough and they wanted me to go to officer school. How different my life would have been had I joined. I sometimes wish I could live 2 parallel lives and be able to pick one after a few years...
Keep the stories coming guys :)

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

3000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #38
Was at the Las Vegas Speedway this evening for a drive through Christmas Light show.

Also got to see some night time flying of F16s out of Nellis Air force Base. @AeroF16, those pilots where getting after it...must have been mission practice. It was very cool, might go back during the day to wait and watch. You flown out of Nellis ever?

Thought I would share...was very cool to see and hear.

AeroF16

Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Was at the Las Vegas Speedway this evening for a drive through Christmas Light show.

Also got to see some night time flying of F16s out of Nellis Air force Base. @AeroF16, those pilots where getting after it...must have been mission practice. It was very cool, might go back during the day to wait and watch. You flown out of Nellis ever?

Thought I would share...was very cool to see and hear.
Yes, flown out of there many times! I love flying there, always some great opportunities and great training.

If you drive up to the main gate at Nellis, it reads "Home of the Fighter Pilot". We are there often haha.

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
When I was a kid, we did a cross country trip from Buffalo to FL, to TX, CA, and ended up in Las Vegas. I recall my dad waking up us kids and sneaking us out of the hotel room in the middle of the night. We left our mother behind.
I remember him pulling a AAA trip ticket out from the center console and we headed off into the night. As we approached our destination, he pointed out a street sign in the distance which read "The Extraterrestrial Highway"... we were so excited! Sure enough, we pulled up on "the mailbox" and pulled off of the road. There were other people there, locals. They warned us when we started talking about getting closer - not to. My dad didn't follow directions very well and decided to continue driving. We drove past a few signs that said to stop and turn around. We stopped at the 3rd one or so, got out of the van, and took a picture. Once the flash from the camera was gone, there was a spotlight on us. Followed by headlights in the distance quickly approaching, zig zagging across the pitch black desert. We immediately jumped into the van and retreated. When we got back to the parking lot we were greeted by the locals who were having a good time at our expense. The headlights stopped at the sign we took a picture of, and they shut the lights off. We continued to talk amongst ourselves for a little bit before heading back to the hotel. My mother had no idea what we had done until she saw the pictures a week or so later. She wasn't happy, lol. For reference it was probably 23 years ago... there was a heatwave that year that killed dozens of people. I recall grabbing a pop can out of the cup holder in the van and it burned my hand. As a young kid, I also saved a little boy's life, he was drowning in the pool at the hotel and nobody was paying any attention. I walked up, say him "bobbering" with his hands flailing and I could see it in his eyes through the water that he wasn't having a good time. I grabbed him by the arms, pulled him straight up out of the water and put him on the sidewalk. He erupted into tears and ran off. I went about my business... but it has stuck with me ever since. I've actually saved 3 more people from drowning since then... 2 in the same day, in the same pool, both kids having the same ignorant asshole parents. I couldn't believe it. Anyway... on to my next story...

Niagara Falls AFB... my father brought us to the airshow and it was pretty amazing. I remember it was a memorial show with all of the 'Cats of the sky... the Hellcat, Tomcat, and many more I'll never be able to recall. I found it interesting that one of the older planes was flat out hauling and the Tomcat was basically stalled trying to go that slow for the flyby. I think there was an F15 which, mid-flyby decided to go vertical right above us and disappear into the sky with the afterburners washing over us.
The F-117 was sitting on the runway surrounded by armed guards and red velvet ropes. On the ropes were signs declaring that if you decided to go past the first rope, you were under arrest. If you got past the 2nd rope, you'd be shot. We spoke to one of the people there who basically said that if someone got to the aircraft and was able to even touch it to remove some of it's paint, it would be disastrous for our stealth program. It was incredible just being in its presence.

The other airshow, Thunder Over Niagara (I think), was over the Niagara River here in the Niagara Falls region. We were watching stunt planes do their thing with the smoke, rolls, loops, corkscrews... you name it - they did it. As the 2nd wave of planes was coming into the show the first wave was doing their sendoff... I watched one of the approaching planes in the distance go into a dive and wondered when he was going to pull up. He never did. I was one of the very few people, out of the thousands in attendance to actually watch that plane disappear into the water. Nobody around me believed me until someone started screaming. It was strange... the splash was large... but not noticeable to a crowd largely fixed on the planes in the sky. I remember seeing it in the news that night. I was curious if this event ever made it to the internet, and here it is. My recollection of the events is from when I was 6 years old... again... it was impactful and has stuck with me ever since.
https://buffalonews.com/news/festiv...cle_08fd4574-1fab-553a-bd28-36ccbb48ee10.html

That's about the extent of my aeronautical experience. A friend of mine flys choppers for special forces, but I'm not allowed to talk about it :)