Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Squeaky exhaust valves/actuators

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It all about how much noise you like. Myself I like my car quiet and the valves keep it quieter

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #22
It all about how much noise you like. Myself I like my car quiet and the valves keep it quieter
I hear you I think the stock exhaust is overall great on these cars and doesn't need to be any louder, especially since I leave for work at 3am LOL

But I don't think having the valves open all the time will make that much of a difference. I just hope that this makes them stop rattling!!!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
In a somewhat comical update I did get another new OEM catback installed, this one also started rattling after just a few days, right in that 1800-2200 drone range that the factory catback almost completely filters out. It's funny, my original one definitely did not do this, I drive around with the windows down all the time and these new ones just are not happy on my car. I did tell my dealer and they are like well what do you want to do??? I told them nothing right now. I mainly just wanted to document it I guess for future reference.

Needless to say I did just order the Z-automotive inactive exhaust kit, hope to have that installed by the end of the week and be back to clean exhaust sounds again :)
You can open the box, remove the spring and use a zip tie to keep it open. Plug back in and you're good.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #24
You can open the box, remove the spring and use a zip tie to keep it open. Plug back in and you're good.
So I may have wasted $200? I was going to work on this Thursday, when I get under the car maybe I can figure this out. Perhaps if I don't open the box I can return the Z-automotive kit...

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not sure that would work...

Each time you start the car, the actuators go thru a cycle to make sure it stops and starts where it should (to ensure the valves are connected and not broken). If it goes thru this cycle and senses something is wrong, it'll throw a code.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are describing...

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
So I may have wasted $200? I was going to work on this Thursday, when I get under the car maybe I can figure this out. Perhaps if I don't open the box I can return the Z-automotive kit...
I haven't done this but plenty of people say that it works. Save the spring so you can put it back.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm not sure that would work...

Each time you start the car, the actuators go thru a cycle to make sure it stops and starts where it should (to ensure the valves are connected and not broken). If it goes thru this cycle and senses something is wrong, it'll throw a code.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are describing...
People all over have done this. Your personal experience may vary.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I hear you I think the stock exhaust is overall great on these cars and doesn't need to be any louder, especially since I leave for work at 3am LOL

But I don't think having the valves open all the time will make that much of a difference. I just hope that this makes them stop rattling!!!
It will be louder when you are at cruising speeds.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Hey guys i just started a youtube channel for my 2021 SRT red eye hellcat charger wide body check me out! SUBSCRIBE if youd like to see more.

Hey guys i just started a youtube channel for my 2021 SRT red eye hellcat charger wide body check me out! SUBSCRIBE if youd like to see more.
And what does your stuff have to do with all the threads you have hijacked?

This will likely get you negative views from the members here.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #30
So hopefully a final update on this lol I did install the Z-auto inactive exhaust kit and it seems to have solved the rattle. Drove around yesterday and exhaust sounded clean and clear.

I never drive in default mode where the valves would try to quiet things down so I'm used to them being open all the time which they supposedly are with this z-auto kit, but it doesn't sound more or less loud to me IMO, just the same as before I started having issues with it.

Overall I definitely should have consulted the forum first and then just lubed the squeaky valves instead of this replacement part fiasco that resulted in me spending $200 to solve it...

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
WD-40