Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stock battery

Member ID
Reactions
City
Spring
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
What is the stock battery in a 16 challenger hellcat? Does Dodge use Continental battery’s?

Thx

Kevin

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Whatever this is.

Attachments

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spring
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #3
That looks like my battery but mines a Continental. Has the handle and red cover just like yours.

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Huh. Maybe they use different batteries depending on the market? For example in my home town of Buffalo I may have a battery that is designed for a cooler climate. In Texas the battery might be designed for a warmer climate. In California they might use a potato. 😛

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spring
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Maybe if someone from Dodge Cares is here maybe they can answer the question?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It's right on the battery, the label in the center with the symbols - made by Johnson Controls (they make many different brands Diehard, Interstate, Optima, Motocraft etc.).
Only 2 other companies make batteries in the US - Exide (mostly Champion, Exide & Napa) & Delphi (mostly ACDelco).

Everlast (Wal-mart) batteries are sourced from all 3.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It's right on the battery, the label in the center with the symbols - made by Johnson Controls (they make many different brands Diehard, Interstate, Optima, Motocraft etc.).
Only 2 other companies make batteries in the US - Exide (mostly Champion, Exide & Napa) & Delphi (mostly ACDelco).

and the Walmart contract always goes to the lowest bidder...and it wouldn't surprise me if Walmart dictates specifications

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My 16 also has a Johnson Controls.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
and the Walmart contract always goes to the lowest bidder...and it wouldn't surprise me if Walmart dictates specifications
I've actually heard good things about their car batteries. I know I use them in my riding mower & have been very pleased with their performance.

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spring
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #10
What I'm trying to find out is did Dodge put the continental battery in the hellcat in 16, because mine is a continental and it died and my car is almost out of warranty. I bought the car used at one year old with 3200 miles on it. Dodge has no record of the battery being changed. I dont see why the original owner would have bought a new battery being that the car was under warrenty with less than 3200 miles.
If Dodge didnt put Continental batterys in the car I guess I gotta pay for a new battery but if they did its cover under warranty.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well for sure they did use Johnson Controls as I bought my 16 new less than two months after it was built. It only has 6 miles on it. That does not mean they did not use other manufacturers batteries as well. You just need to get other 16 owners responses. Time built is a factor too. They use what they have on hand and often use other suppliers to avoid delays. What is build date on your car?

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Some other factors may be a date code stamped in the battery somewhere? It’s not visible in mine but battery may have to be out to see it. Also does yours have recessed areas for cable attachment and red block cover to fit? Ir flip up handle I bet was required to save workers backs.
D46E417B-70B2-4C02-9E06-FF4562BC7B28.jpeg

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What I'm trying to find out is did Dodge put the continental battery in the hellcat in 16, because mine is a continental and it died and my car is almost out of warranty. I bought the car used at one year old with 3200 miles on it. Dodge has no record of the battery being changed. I dont see why the original owner would have bought a new battery being that the car was under warrenty with less than 3200 miles.
If Dodge didnt put Continental batterys in the car I guess I gotta pay for a new battery but if they did its cover under warranty.
I would doubt that Dodge put that in @ the factory, Continental is sort of a 'boutique' supplier, meaning they are higher cost & have limited production capability. Tho it's possible if there was some issue with the supply from JC for a short period & they had the necessary stock available. Even then, I would expect FCA's name would be on it somewhere just like the ones from JC.

More likely the OE battery croaked (like mine did) since the car sat for long periods & the owner decided to put in a battery he perceived as higher quality rather than fool with another OE one.
Sort of like what many here have done with the Arc Angel batteries.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
If over three years it will be pro rated. Sam's club has good deals all the time and a quality brand.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I would hunt for one with the correct recessed top areas so everything attaches as it should.

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spring
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #16
The car is under 3 years old by a couple of weeks so it's under warranty. The build date is 4/16. Here a picture of the battery. Looks just like Jungle cats battery. Screenshot_20191103-141149_Gallery.jpg

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'd go to a Continental dealer & see if they will replace it, should be covered as they warrant them for 24 - 36 months (depending on which type it is).
I'll bet real $$ Dodge is going to tell you to take a hike !

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That could be original. It has correct configuration . Your car was built 5 months after mine so it’s possible that’s what they were using at the time. I notice yours has the dots on top you punch out dates. Can you make that out?

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

Don't forget EnerSys, maker of Odyssey batteries. They have a manufacturing plant in Warrensburg, Missouri ( also in France and Wales), and they the make batteries here in the USA, like my four post Odyssey battery powering my Wrangler, and that battery was made in the USA.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Don't forget EnerSys, maker of Odyssey batteries. They have a manufacturing plant in Warrensburg, Missouri ( also in France and Wales), and they the make batteries here in the USA, like my four post Odyssey battery powering my Wrangler, and that battery was made in the USA.
True, there are other US battery makers like EnerSys, Arc Angel etc. that make mostly low volume specialty stuff - off-road, racing, marine, aircraft etc. but they are not the brands you're most likely to encounter in your typical passenger car/truck especially as an OE battery.