Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

street drag radials

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I would say a large percentage of people run 305s on the stock wheel. They will also say they're great, no complaints.

But they're kind of math dumb, because the contact patch on the stock wheel maxes out between 275 and 285, so anything wider is 1) not going to ever touch the ground, and 2) cause the car to skate as the patch shifts under traction. So, while they may have no complaints, their butt dyno is lying to them. Most people post reviews on their tires in the first 1,000mi when the tires are still super sticky. Once the new tires break in, their performance should be slightly worse than the OEM tire size (again, skating and reduced down pressure coupled with just a tiny bit more added weight). Of course, you would get better performance with a Michelin PS4S 305 vs. a Pirrelli summer 275, but you'd also get quite a boost on a Michelin PS4S 275 over the Pirrelli. That's only because the part of the Michelin, Nitto, Conti, etc. is better than the Pirrelli. Still not using the whole 305 though, and you end up paying about $300 more for a set of 4 that you won't ever use fully.

To use a 305, you need an 11-11.5" wheel. An 11 is just slightly too small (295 usable traction patch). 11.5 is just right. And, for those who like to disagree, feel free to mount your 305s up, and send us a photo of a tape measure after you do a nice burn out and try and tell me that the contact patch is bigger than 275-285mm on a stock 10" wheel :)
I agree with you 100%. That’s why I bought 20x10.5 replica wheels 4 years ago to run 305 Nitto 555r.

I would like to go back to the OEM wheels to reduce some of the unsprung weight. I’m looking for some feedback on how big of a tire I can run before it becomes counter productive.

anything over 285 on the OEM wheel is useless as you stated. The stock pirellis that came with the car are absolutely worthless if you want to have fun on the streets.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Well, what I've done is PS4S 275s on the stock wheel. Better everything over stock. Works well enough for me, but my HC is my daily and I don't abuse it. I have my fun, but I've never even done a burnout in it.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well, what I've done is PS4S 275s on the stock wheel. Better everything over stock. Works well enough for me, but my HC is my daily and I don't abuse it. I have my fun, but I've never even done a burnout in it.
Im going to try Nitto 555r 285 in the back with the OEM wheel.

My car is not a daily driver. I don’t abuse it either but I do like to have my fun on the on-ramps to the freeway, on back roads and leaving red lights/stop signs.
my favorite is leaning on the gas while in 3rd gear at around 4K RPMs.
the car immediately goes sideways with the pirellis.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lantana
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
After having the 2019 Redeye for 1.5 years and 2300 miles, I could not get a good hookup under 60mph on the stock Pirelli's all season tires. Had Nitto 555RII 315 35 R20 installed on the rear. Not only greatly improved performance but think the rear profile looks better too. Have not yet driven in the rain. Traction improved, no increased tread noise and vehicle dynamics not changed.

Attachments

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Nitto 555RII's are the shit for daily driving.:p

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
After having the 2019 Redeye for 1.5 years and 2300 miles, I could not get a good hookup under 60mph on the stock Pirelli's all season tires. Had Nitto 555RII 315 35 R20 installed on the rear. Not only greatly improved performance but think the rear profile looks better too. Have not yet driven in the rain. Traction improved, no increased tread noise and vehicle dynamics not changed.
Couldn’t agree more !!! I can’t wait to go back to Nittos at Some point.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Lone Star...did you keep the stock Pirelli's up front?

I've had my '19 Redeye WB for a year and 3 months. Weekend street car, good weather only and off the road in winter.

The Pirelli's are the worst on the rear. Am considering keeping the 305 All Season's up front and putting 315 555R2's on the rear, keeping stock rims for now. Anyone running like that and anything I should be aware of? What tire would y'all rung up front with the 315 R2's out back?

Thanks in advance for any inputs! Appreciate y'all with more tire experience than me.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
The stock Pirelli's all season blows in the rain. the 555rs not any worse. what I hate about the 555rs is when they are hooked and pulling hard and then break loose. Feels like you blew the differential. And they slip a little on the wheel over time. so you need to keep an eye on that, as they will get out of balance after awhile.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

I've had my '19 Redeye WB for a year and 3 months. Weekend street car, good weather only and off the road in winter.

The Pirelli's are the worst on the rear. Am considering keeping the 305 All Season's up front and putting 315 555R2's on the rear, keeping stock rims for now. Anyone running like that and anything I should be aware of? What tire would y'all rung up front with the 315 R2's out back?

Thanks in advance for any inputs! Appreciate y'all with more tire experience than me.
I run the stock tires up front, no issues At some point I will put the 555G2 on the front to compliment the R2 on the back

Last edited:

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

My cat is not a wide Body, but I ran Nittos in the back with the stock pirellis in the front and had zero issues to report.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
It would be nice to tub it, and put much wider tires on.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Out of curiosity, does a street drag radial give you worse off handling for turning/cornering? Like worse off than an all season tire?
I didn't find that to be the case. Mine came with drag radials at all 4 corners from the factory and I thought it handled just fine throwing it into corners and pushing it through cloverleaf off ramps, etc. I did not push the car hard through those when it was raining.....I didn't want to chance that.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lantana
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody

FCA was an Italian based company and their tire sourcing was to an Italian tire company - Pirelli. Many years ago I had Chassis Systems Procurement and Quality responsibilities at DaimlerChrysler. One of which was a $1 Billion annual tire buy for the Chrysler Group. I benchmarked all US and European tire suppliers with my Mercedes counterpart and we concluded that Michelin was the world's premier tire supplier primarily based on their process and quality reputation. They are more expensive. Unfortanely for Michelin being a French tire company, Mercedes had a bias for Continental tire company being a German based company and tied support for their F1 program to tire sourcing. I have had Michelin tires on several performance vehicles and highly recommend them. I kept the Pirellis up front on the Redeye. Stock 20x11 Devil Forged Rims all the way around. Left Discount Tire with 34 PSI all tires. Have read to get better 0-60 times is lower the drag radials to 26 to 28 PSI. Next on my things to try..... Have only done a few 40mph rolls since getting the Nittos and it is like having a new car with much improved hookups....

Last edited:

Latest Forum Posts