Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Success! 12" wide - square/rotatable WHEELS FOR A WIDEBODY

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Okay, some people think some of us that run laps with these monsters are crazy. Thanks! I believe this will help us at least get the proper rubber to the pavement, AND BE FUNCTIONAL AND FIT UNDER THE BODY. The Widebody revision has made it possible without ANY wheel liner modifications. So we need to give the Dodge designers some thanks, even if some think the flairs look goofy. I say with enough rubber under them, the Widebody looks damn mean, and it is! We managed to tuck a lot of rubber under it.

So #797 has been working with Biz over @TRIUMPH The dude was stressing! He was sure enough he had the secret sauce to make one "trial", wheel with one of my new Michelin Cup 2 325/30's on it. I received it today, tried it and it looks great.

The Roadster design here in a two piece looks much like the design I had in a monoblock on my '15. Biz does quality work. I wanted chrome, but they needed to be durable, because this set is for the track. He had the wheels coated to protect them and will allow me to pressure wash and just soap the nasty brake dust that will cake them on a course.

My recommendation get a set of these, and if for the street, you would be mean with a 325-30F 345/30R staggered rubber. We shall see what they feel like for the course. The cat is also receiving lots of tightening up of its young joints in a procedure soon. More of that later. Here are some pictures. Things fit well, can't wait to get all four on and drive it!

IMG_1166.jpg
STUFF LOOKS JUST FINE OUT BACK! She could use more if a guy wanted, but then it would not be square. That is the point of this. Sorry it's winter, that is about all we have for now!

IMG_1173.jpg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Love seeing the checkered flag on those tires... that car means business! Looks great.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, Jack. Can't wait to drive it. It will be a while yet.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Nice rims!! Appreciate all the feedback you give throughout the years on tires as it's been a big help.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Nice rims!! Appreciate all the feedback you give throughout the years on tires as it's been a big help.
Thanks. Well it's been expensive! I have always said for me there is plenty of power, but because it's so heavy and powerful we require the largest rubber we can fit to use it. In this case, I hope the larger wheels in the front help its natural understeer entering corners. It is going to be a fun year I hope.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Okay, some people think some of us that run laps with these monsters are crazy. Thanks! I believe this will help us at least get the proper rubber to the pavement, AND BE FUNCTIONAL AND FIT UNDER THE BODY. The Widebody revision has made it possible without ANY wheel liner modifications. So we need to give the Dodge designers some thanks, even if some think the flairs look goofy. I say with enough rubber under them, the Widebody looks damn mean, and it is! We managed to tuck a lot of rubber under it.

So #797 has been working with Biz over @TRIUMPH The dude was stressing! He was sure enough he had the secret sauce to make one "trial", wheel with one of my new Michelin Cup 2 325/30's on it. I received it today, tried it and it looks great.

The Roadster design here in a two piece looks much like the design I had in a monoblock on my '15. Biz does quality work. I wanted chrome, but they needed to be durable, because this set is for the track. He had the wheels coated to protect them and will allow me to pressure wash and just soap the nasty brake dust that will cake them on a course.

My recommendation get a set of these, and if for the street, you would be mean with a 325-30F 345/30R staggered rubber. We shall see what they feel like for the course. The cat is also receiving lots of tightening up of its young joints in a procedure soon. More of that later. Here are some pictures. Things fit well, can't wait to get all four on and drive it!

View attachment 10861
STUFF LOOKS JUST FINE OUT BACK! She could use more if a guy wanted, but then it would not be square. That is the point of this. Sorry it's winter, that is about all we have for now!

View attachment 10862
Looks great, I like chrome also but I sure like what Biz has done. John

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Looks great, I like chrome also but I sure like what Biz has done. John
Quality and attention to details! When we get the other three and it is outside, I'll give everyone a closer look. My surprise was he welded the backside of the center and I don't have to worry about cleaning around 60 bolt heads. Being in the industrial/infrastructure business, I have looked at my share of welds. The welds on this wheel look as good as about any human can perform. The coating he talked me into on the barrel will make it also easy to clean the brake dust and other nastiness off that lapping one of these beasts produces.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Looks great.
Don't forget I'll buy your 305 Toyo tires if you're not going to use them. I'm very happy with them.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
How you feeling D?

Wheels look great! Unfrortunately, being poor folk, I doubt I'll ever see a widebody charger. So you're saying with no mods to well you think you could get 345 in there?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
How you feeling D?

Wheels look great! Unfrortunately, being poor folk, I doubt I'll ever see a widebody charger. So you're saying with no mods to well you think you could get 345 in there?
Thanks @Magnified, I got 345's on my street set already, it can take more! Front is a different story, there is a limit to what will reasonably work up there. Unless a guy is a puss and don't really drive it right. The Widebody has a generous space in the rear totally unmodified. Don't even need to pin the rear of the liner like we did with the regular body. What happened is after looking at that wheel/325 on the back, it looked rather skinny! Sorry, what a pig a guy can become quick. Plus when looking at the 325 on 12" VS the 345 on 12" in my garage, there was not much difference. So.... the 345 is just a bit taller which helps a little problem we have at Brainerd with the top of 6th gear and what the hell, "go big or go home" saying, Biz and I decided I would order up a pair of big ones for the rears. They should be in during the next week. Discount Tire Direct needed to order some fresh units up from Michelin. Plus they gave me a good deal compared to the folks who actually have them in stock. Damn it at over $500 each, I'll take more help. Maybe once they come in, the driveway will be dry and I can snap some real pictures of the queen.

@TrackDay I am going to run them out. For one thing, I did not order the new rubber heat cycled. So the first day out wherever it is, the new ones get one session, then sadly the rest of the day will be on the Toyo's. I would really lose a lot of cash/value selling them to you TD, so I'll just wear them out. I am sure they will feel better to me with the suspension upgrades and some camber adjustments to get them more flat in the corners. Seriously, and you know what happened, maybe the soft stock suspension was just not giving me the correct feedback? Don't know, but it better never do that shit again! When we talk, wait till you hear what Mrs G said when I got home that night.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
How you feeling D?

Oh and a special thanks, I feel great my friend. The arm is doing well, the hand is recovering. Hired a personal trainer and he is kicking my old ass back into shape. I actually changed up those wheels myself a couple of nights before the Doc gave the green light. But, it felt fine. Again, modern medicine fixed me and it worked good!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Glad to hear it

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Beautiful! Look at the lip on that front wheel!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye
Quality and attention to details! When we get the other three and it is outside, I'll give everyone a closer look. My surprise was he welded the backside of the center and I don't have to worry about cleaning around 60 bolt heads. Being in the industrial/infrastructure business, I have looked at my share of welds. The welds on this wheel look as good as about any human can perform. The coating he talked me into on the barrel will make it also easy to clean the brake dust and other nastiness off that lapping one of these beasts produces.
Triumph is making me a set of wheels which I hope to run on the track with my 2019 Redeye. I am currently planning to use Toyo R888rs on 305/35/20. Did I read that right that you are running these already? Thoughts?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Triumph is making me a set of wheels which I hope to run on the track with my 2019 Redeye. I am currently planning to use Toyo R888rs on 305/35/20. Did I read that right that you are running these already? Thoughts?
I hate them, don't shoot the messenger. Sorry. Some like them. Let me be specific, they are beyond loud, they did not strike me as that incredible sticky, when they get hot and overdriven they get squirmy, and can slide easy, my RE broke loose. Remember their load range is low, so a bit more air is required. I'll use the rest of them, they are mounted on my OEM 11" wheels, tires are too expensive, but I will drive cautiously.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I hate them, don't shoot the messenger. Sorry. Some like them. Let me be specific, they are beyond loud, they did not strike me as that incredible sticky, when they get hot and overdriven they get squirmy, and can slide easy, my RE broke loose. Remember their load range is low, so a bit more air is required. I'll use the rest of them, they are mounted on my OEM 11" wheels, tires are too expensive, but I will drive cautiously.
Thank you. So you chose Micheline Sport Cup 2s?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
Thank you. So you chose Micheline Sport Cup 2s?
For the track, yes. And I can't wait! Love the PS4S's for street use, they have rubber armor or something and wear great.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
For the track, yes. And I can't wait! Love the PS4S's for street use, they have rubber armor or something and wear great.
Thank you. That was one of the choices I also had. I love putting the car on the road track, its been great fun. Out of curiosity did you make any suspension mods, did you add strut tower support in front or back?

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
So if a guy could only choose 1 for both street and a few track days a year...PS4S would make a decent choice? (non-widebody)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
In October

Attachments