Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tesla is close to self driving car capabilities just watch.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Damn quick, too.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I suggest you guys watch the movie Upgrade. Plus there is a nice Challenger in it and its a great sci fi movie

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Damn hackers.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I wonder if they’ll have a setting to designate how many mph over the speed limit you want. :unsure:

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I wonder if they’ll have a setting to designate how many mph over the speed limit you want. :unsure:
There should be no speed limit if the cars are self driving.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
The one thing I question is the Stop Sign at an intersection. How does the car know to look both ways and across the street for oncoming traffic and pedestrians before it pulls out on the road or crosses the road? To me that’s just crazy to think the car can make all those evaluations and especially on a very busy road and intersection.

Last edited:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
There should be no speed limit if the cars are self driving.
Hadn’t thought of that. I think all the cars would have to be autonomous for that to happen. If half the cars were piloted by humans and autonomous cars were zipping in and around them going a whole lot faster, or slower, it might cause Grandma and newly licensed Izzy to have an accident. :unsure:

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Hadn’t thought of that. I think all the cars would have to be autonomous for that to happen. If half the cars were piloted by humans and autonomous cars were zipping in and around them going a whole lot faster, or slower, it might cause Grandma and newly licensed Izzy to have an accident. :unsure:
The real answer is who is at fault the manufacturer or the owner of the car for speeding? If you alter the car autonomous settings then now your at fault and liability would be my guess.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
It drives better than 99% of the people out there.
It showed no caution when cars were in the shoulder, which concerned me a little. I'm not one to panic when someone is doing shit next to me, but I know people, so I'm aware of what they may do.

As far as stopping and looking both ways... that car is looking ALWAYS... The cameras and sensors on the front and sides of the car can see further and have a better vantage point than a person 6' behind the front bumper in the driver's seat. Not sure what it would do if there was a pedestrian or biker approaching the intersection... will it wait for grandma or cut her off?

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
It showed no caution when cars were in the shoulder, which concerned me a little. I'm not one to panic when someone is doing shit next to me, but I know people, so I'm aware of what they may do.

As far as stopping and looking both ways... that car is looking ALWAYS... The cameras and sensors on the front and sides of the car can see further and have a better vantage point than a person 6' behind the front bumper in the driver's seat. Not sure what it would do if there was a pedestrian or biker approaching the intersection... will it wait for grandma or cut her off?
From reading about autonomous cars it looks like it comes down to the programming or algorithms - which can be good or bad - if the algorithm doesn't contain your specific situation all bets are off.
From what I remember that was the issue with a Toyota (or Honda?) autonomous test car that struck a bicyclist - it didnt recognize the bike because they had grocery bags hanging from the handle bars and didnt know how to react. Supposedly the program has a self updating algorithm that was used for this purpose - it wasnt the programming it was the algorithm imbedded in the program. I wish I could remember all the details.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
what about 4 way stop signs? Rotory's? Judgement calls have to be tough to program.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
From reading about autonomous cars it looks like it comes down to the programming or algorithms - which can be good or bad - if the algorithm doesn't contain your specific situation all bets are off.
From what I remember that was the issue with a Toyota (or Honda?) autonomous test car that struck a bicyclist - it didnt recognize the bike because they had grocery bags hanging from the handle bars and didnt know how to react. Supposedly the program has a self updating algorithm that was used for this purpose - it wasnt the programming it was the algorithm imbedded in the program. I wish I could remember all the details.
So, if it doesn’t recognize an object, hit it? :ROFLMAO:

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Are humans so disconnected from reality that they would rather be on there computer or smart phone while the car drives for you? What happens when a sensor or camera fails? Or when millions of self driving cars need a recall because the sensor or camera was made in China and fails after 3 months and drives you into a wall or off a cliff. I will drive my own car.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
:LOL::LOL::LOL: No thanks

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
@Markp - humans in general? Yes, absolutely. They can’t drive without texting or facebooking, or whatever the hell they do. Clearly driving is not the most important part of what they do in a moving vehicle.
The other 1% of us enjoy our vehicles.

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Wives will be at home pushing the remote "Return home" button

Beer Store
Car parts store
Girlfriends house

All coming to an end

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
These systems are maturing nicely and I welcome it. Decades ago we thought self driving cars would entail wires in the road and not be able to mix with human driven cars. That was not practical. Now we have systems that can operate independently and do so along with human driven cars. My only concern was getting to a point in which human driven cars would not be allowed. I don't think that should be an issue now with these kind of systems. So for all those who have no interest in the act of driving and would rather play with their phone, read the newspaper or watch a movie they can. I will be much safer now that a hyper aware system is doing the driving for them. I bet accident rates will go way down. All this time I will be enjoying driving, probably more so than before. The computers will not be driving too slow, or camping in the left lane or crowding my lane. Sounds good to me.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
These systems are maturing nicely and I welcome it. Decades ago we thought self driving cars would entail wires in the road and not be able to mix with human driven cars. That was not practical. Now we have systems that can operate independently and do so along with human driven cars. My only concern was getting to a point in which human driven cars would not be allowed. I don't think that should be an issue now with these kind of systems. So for all those who have no interest in the act of driving and would rather play with their phone, read the newspaper or watch a movie they can. I will be much safer now that a hyper aware system is doing the driving for them. I bet accident rates will go way down. All this time I will be enjoying driving, probably more so than before. The computers will not be driving too slow, or camping in the left lane or crowding my lane. Sounds good to me.
The question is at what point does a "government" like California outlaw the use of human driven cars and for good of us all and use driverless cars - I couldnt imagine anything like that. right... I can hear them now;
Its just for our own good....