Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The importance of Knock Sensors

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Let’s talk knock sensors. Logging Knock Retard is not enough. You also need to log knock sensor volts. If your knock sensors are desensitized or turned off just looking at knock retard you will think everything is fine. We have seen cars with the knock sensors completely turned off. There are legitimate reasons to desensitize knock sensors. A smaller pulley can generate more noise for example. There are many ways to rule out real and fake knock like pulling power from the car or using higher octane fuel and if the knock is still there it is most likely fake. Here is a picture of the stock knock sensor volts from a stock tune so you can get an idea of where knock volts should be.
1661517450662.png

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You're going to need to check mine out and see where everything is set.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
You're going to need to check mine out and see where everything is set.
Never fear he will hook you up. My Redeye was a dog compared to my Hellcat, for over 2 years until @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC worked his magic.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Never fear he will hook you up. My Redeye was a dog compared to my Hellcat, for over 2 years until @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC worked his magic.
That seems to be a common problem coming from redeye owners.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
My Redeye is a completely different car now. Hardly nothing similar from mellow driving and certainly when you give it the shit. If I was blindfolded. I would swear it is not the same automobile. The supercharger screams again for example, they had that SOB nearly shut down before I loaded a corrected calibration on it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My Redeye is a completely different car now. Hardly nothing similar from mellow driving and certainly when you give it the shit. If I was blindfolded. I would swear it is not the same automobile. The supercharger screams again for example, they had that SOB nearly shut down before I loaded a corrected calibration on it.
I don't know how they got the horsepower numbers advertised with the stock tune.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't know how they got the horsepower numbers advertised with the stock tune.
Cold absolutely perfect day and doing a couple pulls before it really heated up. It previously acted like that. On a cool morning or evening and doing your first pulls, very impressive. Let it heat up a bit and it went to hell. First day in 2019 we took it to BIR it was a fifty degree morning. It ran much different that time that EVERY other time since that first day. Strange! That very first tune version with no power added, had incredible differences in performance.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Cold absolutely perfect day and doing a couple pulls before it really heated up. It previously acted like that. On a cool morning or evening and doing your first pulls, very impressive. Let it heat up a bit and it went to hell. First day in 2019 we took it to BIR it was a fifty degree morning. It ran much different that time that EVERY other time since that first day. Strange! That very first tune version with no power added, had incredible differences in performance.
Charger acted the same way. One of the reasons I started trailering it to the track.
I would get there and have it cool for about 90 minutes. Then after 1 pass on a warm day it would suffer heat sink.
Let it sit and drive back home.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Imagine some of my painful days where every two hours you do 25 minutes of drag racing corner to corner!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Imagine some of my painful days where every two hours you do 25 minutes of drag racing corner to corner!
How about only 11 seconds at the time??

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I would get there and have it cool for about 90 minutes.
In Florida, that means parking in an air conditioned trailer, right? How else could it possibly cool down.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
In Florida, that means parking in an air conditioned trailer, right? How else could it possibly cool down.
That's a great idea. And I've only been air conditioning myself.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Who did that?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
How about only 11 seconds at the time??
Missing the point, David. Yes, most drag racers go for 9-11 seconds. Then you all get to let it cool. On a road course, we run it a ton harder with multiple WOT events over as much as 25-30 MINUTES without a break.

On the big tracks anyway we are “drag racing” corner to corner with constant basically roll races going on for the duration of the session at WOT. For a lot longer than 11 seconds. For example, beginning of a lap at BIR; after coming out of the last turn - #10 which is about 200-300 yards from the starting line, which I normally cross at about 100 mph, 11 seconds WOT, gets me about halfway down the quarter at BIR each lap (about every two minutes) then we still need to travel the remainder of the quarter, and over another quarter which is the NHRA runout, (at that point your speed is 160-170mph), THEN we set up (brake like you stole it) for the fastest banked corner in the USA. I just looked, my best sector time in there is 17 seconds! Most of that is WOT in that sector alone. A good driver/Hellcat enters #1 at 120-130mph, then we get to rip it again WOT to about 150mph or more with this tune, and brake into #2 to about 100-110, and so on and so forth for many laps. That is a big difference btw that and an 11 second drag race for the engine/systems. For this thread, Jon knows we need those sensors to work, due to the heat going on any changes or anything that may go wrong, and to assure me the dumb ass added the correct amount of expensive gas to the tank after filling it up.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Missing the point, David. Yes, most drag racers go for 9-11 seconds. Then you all get to let it cool. On a road course, we run it a ton harder with multiple WOT events over as much as 25-30 MINUTES without a break.

On the big tracks anyway we are “drag racing” corner to corner with constant basically roll races going on for the duration of the session at WOT. For a lot longer than 11 seconds. For example, beginning of a lap at BIR; after coming out of the last turn - #10 which is about 200-300 yards from the starting line, which I normally cross at about 100 mph, 11 seconds WOT, gets me about halfway down the quarter at BIR each lap (about every two minutes) then we still need to travel the remainder of the quarter, and over another quarter which is the NHRA runout, (at that point your speed is 160-170mph), THEN we set up (brake like you stole it) for the fastest banked corner in the USA. I just looked, my best sector time in there is 17 seconds! Most of that is WOT in that sector alone. A good driver/Hellcat enters #1 at 120-130mph, then we get to rip it again WOT to about 150mph or more with this tune, and brake into #2 to about 100-110, and so on and so forth for many laps. That is a big difference btw that and an 11 second drag race for the engine/systems. For this thread, Jon knows we need those sensors to work, due to the heat going on any changes or anything that may go wrong, and to assure me the dumb ass added the correct amount of expensive gas to the tank after filling it up.
I know. You missed my point that I only got 11 seconds, actually not even that, until it started pulling back power.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh who shut down the SC? Last year when they replaced the motor, I don’t know what calibration they put in it. But the SC whine was way down in sound. Now it is back way up in sound. Even at low and partial throttle, it is very different.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Also of note is how low the factory thresholds actually are in the knock sensor tables. It's a 0-5V sensor for reference.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I know. You missed my point that I only got 11 seconds, actually not even that, until it started pulling back power.
Oh, I know. It becomes apparent as the thing begins shifting like shit and the power drops and after doing everything I can with the boat driving it the lap times SUCK!!!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Oh, I know. It becomes apparent as the thing begins shifting like shit and the power drops and after doing everything I can with the boat driving it the lap times SUCK!!!
Mine was laying over at 1/8 mile. Nothing like watching cars fly by you