Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Pirellis Are Junk. Suggestions?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I finally did a short run on the interstate and the Pirellis ain't worth a shit.on the Challenger. I don't remember them being this bad on the Charger.
What do you suggest for a summer performance tire? 305 /35R20.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Not sure how you are driving but my stock tires on my Daytona were fine in a 275/40. I also didn't expect it to hook from a stop. My Hellcat was a different story and why I put a DR on it. I still don't expect it to hook from a stop but on a roll does well

To me there are 2 kind of tires, radials and drag radials. I have not run across any radials that hook well if you have some power

Also if the roads are cold nothing is going to hook. NHRA said it was 53 in Florida and is why they only gave them 1 run. When the temps get into the 70s I bet it hooks better

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Not sure how you are driving but my stock tires on my Daytona were fine in a 275/40. I also didn't expect it to hook from a stop. My Hellcat was a different story and why I put a DR on it. I still don't expect it to hook from a stop but on a roll does well

To me there are 2 kind of tires, radials and drag radials. I have not run across any radials that hook well if you have some power

Also if the roads are cold nothing is going to hook. NHRA said it was 53 in Florida and is why they only gave them 1 run. When the temps get into the 70s I bet it hooks better
I'm not overly concerned about it hooking especially since it's a Scat Pack. The tires get caught in the grooves of the road and it pulls and jerks making it a lousy ride and handling.
I just want it to ride and handle better.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm not overly concerned about it hooking especially since it's a Scat Pack. The tires get caught in the grooves of the road and it pulls and jerks making it a lousy ride and handling.
I just want it to ride and handle better.
Could have more to do having that wide of a tire front and back

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Could have more to do having that wide of a tire front and back
It could. Feels like an old bias ply tire. Yes, I used to run them before radials came out.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I assume you’re looking for a Summer tire based on your location?

I had the Michelin PS4s on my previous Scat Pack and Hellcat, loved them for daily driving, highway driving, spirited canyon runs, etc, but they’re getting pricey.

I currently have the Continental DWS 06+ in my current Hellcat and like them just as much as my PS4s on my previous Hellcat. I chose them over a Summer tire because I drive mine on nice Winter days when the temps are too cold for Summer tires.

I also currently have a new set of Continentals on my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee L and they ride great as well.

Have the all season Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my BMW and they ride fantastic as well.

I’d highly recommend either brand, in either the all seasons or the Summer tires. In my experience, none of the tires I’ve had “track” on the road (or whatever it’s called, where you feel it pulling with the grooves) and they ride great.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I assume you’re looking for a Summer tire based on your location?

I had the Michelin PS4s on my previous Scat Pack and Hellcat, loved them for daily driving, highway driving, spirited canyon runs, etc, but they’re getting pricey.

I currently have the Continental DWS 06+ in my current Hellcat and like them just as much as my PS4s on my previous Hellcat. I chose them over a Summer tire because I drive mine on nice Winter days when the temps are too cold for Summer tires.

I also currently have a new set of Continentals on my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee L and they ride great as well.

Have the all season Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my BMW and they ride fantastic as well.

I’d highly recommend either brand, in either the all seasons or the Summer tires. In my experience, none of the tires I’ve had “track” on the road (or whatever it’s called, where you feel it pulling with the grooves) and they ride great.
I'm not a Michelin person anymore. I don't have the success that I once had with them.
I used Continentals on the Mercedes that we used to own. I just don't see one that catches my eye in this size and for this car.
Summer tires only since we're in florida.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not a Michelin person anymore. I don't have the success that I once had with them.
I used Continentals on the Mercedes that we used to own. I just don't see one that catches my eye in this size and for this car.
Summer tires only since we're in florida.
If I was looking for a Summer tire, I’d buy these or the MPS4s. I bought the Continentals for my Hellcat because they were on sale and the Michelins weren’t. Then I bought the Michelins for my BMW because they were on sale at the time and the Continentals weren’t.

862CCCD1-70F6-4C57-9472-134F113B6759.png
57455F32-1AB1-4105-AA25-9F10B69D6266.png

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
If I was looking for a Summer tire, I’d buy these or the MPS4s. I bought the Continentals for my Hellcat because they were on sale and the Michelins weren’t. Then I bought the Michelins for my BMW because they were on sale at the time and the Continentals weren’t.

View attachment 66067
View attachment 66069
Many tires are backordered so I have to find out what I can get in a reasonable amount of time.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Many tires are backordered so I have to find out what I can get in a reasonable amount of time.
Damn, forgot about that. I went ahead and spent about $5k getting tires for all my vehicles last Fall because I thought there was a chance they’d run into logistics issues like everything else being affected by supply chain problems.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Tirerack is showing those Continentals in stock right now though…

34DD72BE-73CB-4D96-9F54-96C779C4ED26.png

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
Damn, forgot about that. I went ahead and spent about $5k getting tires for all my vehicles last Fall because I thought there was a chance they’d run into logistics issues like everything else being affected by supply chain problems.
I don't have to buy tires, I just want to replace what's on it.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Looks like Discount Tire has a sale on Michelins right now, though I know you said you weren’t excited about them.

9A5CC63F-88F3-458B-96D5-BCC1C8276BA9.png

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Looks like Discount Tire has a sale on Michelins right now, though I know you said you weren’t excited about them.

View attachment 66073
Michelin was the first radial that I ever bought. I think that it was late 70s or early 80s.
I had one go away during a high speed run and totaled the car. Fortunately we only had minor injuries.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
I also found out that the online inventory is not always right at Discount Tire. I was looking for a drag radial, the site said it was in stock and I went to the store. They had 0 anywhere in the entire company.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I also found out that the online inventory is not always right at Discount Tire. I was looking for a drag radial, the site said it was in stock and I went to the store. They had 0 anywhere in the entire company.
Odd. I’ve bought 4 sets of tires from them, online (they usually give a 5-10% added discount for ordering online) in the past 6 months and they’ve always either had what they said they had or received the tires quicker than expected. I’ve been very happy with my local store.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Tire technology has changed since 40 years ago. The Michelin Pilot Sports are great. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at them. They are a top notch performance tire and as safe as anything you can find on wet or dry roads. I had some Continental Extremes and they were hard to balance (had two of them out of round that could not be force balanced) and they wore out twice as fast as I expected.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
Odd. I’ve bought 4 sets of tires from them, online (they usually give a 5-10% added discount for ordering online) in the past 6 months and they’ve always either had what they said they had or received the tires quicker than expected. I’ve been very happy with my local store.
Maybe it's just me? The guy at the store told me that it happens all the time since the SCAMDEMIC started.