Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Pros and Cons of Ceramic Paint Protectant.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chesapeake
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger
I've never used it but it seems a bit like snake oil to me. It's expensive and needs to be reapplied. Seems to be a lot of variation in good vs bad too. For the money, the plastic wrap makes more sense to me. I have top-end PPF in areas that make sense and I've never have had to do more than a quick rinse to get the car looking like new again. Plus, it puts an actual barrier between scratches on plastic (vs paint).
It isn't snake oil and doesn't need re applied. What it does is put a sacrificial layer over the clear coat. Like anything you do need to take care of it. You do need to put a topper on it every 6 mo or so. But all that is is like a spray detailer to rejuvenate the hydroponics. It also gives more gloss and depth to the paint. It is also uv resistant. I could go on and on with the benefits.

HELLB3NT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oakville
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger SRT Widebody Jailbreak
Second time doing it. Xpel and ceramic coat. Very happy. Link to latest outcome:

http://instagr.am/p/CfEdnD9vzUs/

Attachments

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
It isn't snake oil and doesn't need re applied. What it does is put a sacrificial layer over the clear coat. Like anything you do need to take care of it. You do need to put a topper on it every 6 mo or so. But all that is is like a spray detailer to rejuvenate the hydroponics. It also gives more gloss and depth to the paint. It is also uv resistant. I could go on and on with the benefits.
What are the benefits when on top of ppf? Clear coat is covered, not on the paint so no additional depth, so just gloss and hydrophobic properties? Is it worth it on top of ppf?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
What are the benefits when on top of ppf? Clear coat is covered, not on the paint so no additional depth, so just gloss and hydrophobic properties? Is it worth it on top of ppf?
I have ppf only and water rolls right off. Maybe reversing it? ceramanic then ppf? Dunno. I do know if u go that route get ready to unwad a monster bankroll! :p

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
I have ppf only and water rolls right off. Maybe reversing it? ceramanic then ppf? Dunno. I do know if u go that route get ready to unwad a monster bankroll! :p
Thx! I do know you can’t put pppf on ceramic, won’t adhere. Thinking of doing full ppf and seems ceramic is a wasted expense.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
No ppf over ceramic. Dont think itll stick to the car. Ceramic over ppf mainly to make it easier to keep clean. Bugs and crap like that literally fall off.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chesapeake
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger
Well before the ppf they need to do a correction. That will help with the depth and gloss. But ceramic on top of ppf makes it easier to clean. Just treat it as paint.