Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on Dodge's 2021 Dragpak?

Will the 2021 Dodge Dragpak go up in value over the next 5 years?

• Yes, big time (100% or more)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, probably 50% or so

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Maybe a bit (0-10%)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No, depreciation will kick in (-25%)

• GTFO and stay away from this money pit! (-50% or more)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why are you asking me? I have no idea other than "MSRP is right around the corner". ; )

• Total voters

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I have an opportunity to buy one of the fifty (50) 2021 Drakpaks that Dodge made available this past September.

What are your thoughts on this iteration of the Dragpak (relative to past iterations) and relative to what they didn't do/could have done? Did they leave anything on the table or is this as badass as they could have done for the price they charged? As for price, the car stickered at 136K before any tire, paint, wheel, and seat add-ons, which can max the car out at ~155K (before tax).

For those not familiar, here is everything you ever wanted to know about the 2021 (and previous) Dodge Chalenger Dragpaks.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/drag-pak-experience

Right now, my life is not conducive for competitive/dedicated drag racing, but within a couple of years, I won't have to work and likely will be moving out east (finally, good air!). So racing all my cars will be on the docket in the not-so-distant future. However, my opportunity to buy one of these at a great price (MSRP) is now.

I also would like to get your crystal ball projections on value for this non-street legal car. It's not my primary concern, but yes, I like getting a good deal. My thought is that these cars could very well double (or more) in 5 years or so. Dodge won't be making any more ICE Dragpaks that's for sure.

Thoughts are most welcome...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My thought wouldn't be for value going up but for actually racing it. I can't imagine the value going down being there are only 50 a year so not many for sale. What color?

This one was at my friends track rental last fall

20211010_162019 (1).jpg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Another pic of the car at a different track. Think you need to buy one:)

1646480271340.png

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My opinion is; if you buy it, you have to spend another $100K at Watson Racing to make it competitive. Then you actually race it.
Look at the older drag pack cars. They're outdated and hard to sell. There's a few that's been on the market for years.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I've heard $200k in mods to the cars to make them competitive, regardless, its a big number, and just the beginning if your going to race in the class they are designed for. I have an '18 COPO, and the value on it has come off of msrp over time. Not street legal and a small pool of buyers equals not much demand. If your going to run it at local track for fun, even that comes with work and expense. Youll need a "Cool Cart" that connects to the cars cooling system and cools the engine between rounds. Unless you build your own, they are $2500ish. Then theres the retorquing head bolts every 10 or so runs. Engine disassembly after 50 runs. This is for the COPO, would think the Drag Pak would be similar. They are very high quality builds though, right from the mfg, cool cars for sure. But if I were going to race at my local track, I think I'd buy something less expensive, I wouldnt buy one of these and sit on it thinking it will appreciate, just my $.02

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I've heard $200k in mods to the cars to make them competitive, regardless, its a big number, and just the beginning if your going to race in the class they are designed for. I have an '18 COPO, and the value on it has come off of msrp over time. Not street legal and a small pool of buyers equals not much demand. If your going to run it at local track for fun, even that comes with work and expense. Youll need a "Cool Cart" that connects to the cars cooling system and cools the engine between rounds. Unless you build your own, they are $2500ish. Then theres the retorquing head bolts every 10 or so runs. Engine disassembly after 50 runs. This is for the COPO, would think the Drag Pak would be similar. They are very high quality builds though, right from the mfg, cool cars for sure. But if I were going to race at my local track, I think I'd buy something less expensive, I wouldnt buy one of these and sit on it thinking it will appreciate, just my $.02
I didn't realize that the $$ bar was that high on these cars. Great info thanks!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The new DragPak is a $150k starter kit for seriously funded racers that want to compete at the NHRA heads-up class level. As it rolls out…. It isn’t competitive until a number of things get tweaked and changed. To be competitive… you better have a Pro Stock level budget and tuning talent behind you. Currently the people racing them are seeing between 20 to 30 passes before rebuild on the motors. I’ve heard less for some of the more serious programs. If you just want to go out and have fun running 8.0’s keeping the rpm down then you could hope for more. As far as it being a investment…. Not if it’s raced. If one is kept in untouched condition…. Then it will be up to the BJ/Mecham bunch who pass “collectibles” around amongst themselves for a hobby. If they decide there is enough hype around the DragPak name, then it could become collectible and go up in value. As far as actual value goes…. $150k is a fair price. You can not build one with everything it’s got for less. Ask me how I know 😳

Last edited:
OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
My opinion is; if you buy it, you have to spend another $100K at Watson Racing to make it competitive. Then you actually race it.
Look at the older drag pack cars. They're outdated and hard to sell. There's a few that's been on the market for years.
Good point, especially since eventually I'd want my cake (racing it and winning) and to eat it too (not owning a "net" money pit if I sold 10 yrs from now). That's what I asked what people thought about this generation's and if Dodge really went overboard (meaning that +100K wasn't as necessary this go around). Also, this is the LAST (non-EV) Dragpak so maybe that will matter too...

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Thank you. Very good points (a few I was not aware of). The rebuild after 50 runs seems 1960s esque. Ok yeah I need to do more research. My intention would be to race -and- not lose my shirt. Both. Thanks again, this place is awesome!

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I didn't realize that the $$ bar was that high on these cars. Great info thanks!
Exactly! Dodge suggests in its marketing of these cars that they are ready to go! Maybe go somewhere, but doesn't sound ready to win!

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
The new DragPak is a $150k starter kit for seriously funded racers that want to compete at the NHRA heads-up class level. As it rolls out…. It isn’t competitive until a number of things get tweaked and changed. To be competitive… you better have a Pro Stock level budget and tuning talent behind you. Currently the people racing them are seeing between 20 to 30 passes before rebuild on the motors. I’ve heard less for some of the more serious programs. If you just want to go out and have fun running 8.0’s keeping the rpm down then you could hope for more. As far as it being a investment…. Not if it’s raced. If one is kept in untouched condition…. Then it will be up to the BJ/Mecham bunch who pass “collectibles” around amongst themselves for a hobby. If they decide there is enough hype around the DragPak name, then it could become collectible and go up in value. As far as actual value goes…. $150k is a fair price. You can not build one with everything it’s got for less. Ask me how I know 😳
Thanks Marc, you are another person I was hoping would reply! What's a bit misleading is how Dodge says none of this when they are trying to sell. I guess they expect "people to know" but again that rebuild after so few runs. THAT'S a monster point that needs to be said. Buying and holding and not racing might work (Mecum etc) but I DO want to race too. It sounds like this ain't it. My Demon already sounds like a much better bargain on that front. I don't want to mod that car to go even faster though. Any suggestions on a car that could go in the 8's without the insane build-up/maintenance headache say in the 150K range? Or am I stupid for even asking? lol

Either way, thanks for taking the time to reply! You all have been hugely helpful. A big eye-opener for me. these cars are rarely talked about on here.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks Marc, you are another person I was hoping would reply! What's a bit misleading is how Dodge says none of this when they are trying to sell. I guess they expect "people to know" but again that rebuild after so few runs. THAT'S a monster point that needs to be said. Buying and holding and not racing might work (Mecum etc) but I DO want to race too. It sounds like this ain't it. My Demon already sounds like a much better bargain on that front. I don't want to mod that car to go even faster though. Any suggestions on a car that could go in the 8's without the insane build-up/maintenance headache say in the 150K range? Or am I stupid for even asking? lol

Either way, thanks for taking the time to reply! You all have been hugely helpful. A big eye-opener for me. these cars are rarely talked about on here.
The reason that being competitive in the FSS class is so expensive is because that’s the way it is when heads-up competition in a premier class in the NHRA lines up. There are racers with million dollar budgets that will spend thousands on a hundredth of a second. Taking a few pounds out of one place at a huge expense, so they can add that weight back in a better place is a good example. They are currently pulling the wiring harnesses out and replacing them with lighter high tech systems that consolidate components. The reason the motors are seeing limited passes before needing attention (replacement) is because they are spinning them to the moon (10k rpm at the finish line). DSR went through 5 motors at one event last season. They are testing and tuning them to the point of destruction for that .01 of a second between winning and loosing in this class. That doesn’t mean it’s a weakness in the original car. It is what it is…. a foundation to start with in a real race program. As far as building a go fast Hellcat that can rival the 7 second performance of the DragPak……. That’s what I’m doing. It is for the most part a clone except for the engine. The finished car will be running a Dart block based 426 with the big 3.8 Whipple (vs the smaller 354/3.0) It will make the hp but live happily in the 8000 rpm limit and will not require the maintenance. It is being built to be a match race/challenge type of car. If a class evolves in MSHS or some of the other sanctions, I’ll be there. The goal is to have fun going fast without the pro race team requirements.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Voted

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
The reason that being competitive in the FSS class is so expensive is because that’s the way it is when heads-up competition in a premier class in the NHRA lines up. There are racers with million dollar budgets that will spend thousands on a hundredth of a second. Taking a few pounds out of one place at a huge expense, so they can add that weight back in a better place is a good example. They are currently pulling the wiring harnesses out and replacing them with lighter high tech systems that consolidate components. The reason the motors are seeing limited passes before needing attention (replacement) is because they are spinning them to the moon (10k rpm at the finish line). DSR went through 5 motors at one event last season. They are testing and tuning them to the point of destruction for that .01 of a second between winning and loosing in this class. That doesn’t mean it’s a weakness in the original car. It is what it is…. a foundation to start with in a real race program. As far as building a go fast Hellcat that can rival the 7 second performance of the DragPak……. That’s what I’m doing. It is for the most part a clone except for the engine. The finished car will be running a Dart block based 426 with the big 3.8 Whipple (vs the smaller 354/3.0) It will make the hp but live happily in the 8000 rpm limit and will not require the maintenance. It is being built to be a match race/challenge type of car. If a class evolves in MSHS or some of the other sanctions, I’ll be there. The goal is to have fun going fast without the pro race team requirements.
I will be watching and hopefully reading your success in such a future class. Thanks again for the immensely useful info. 10K at the trap. Yeah, that will do it!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Also…. There are many Hellcats running mid 8’s now still using the 8 speed trans and IRS rears. I ran 8.7 over a year ago. Almost too many to count have done it now. Two years ago I said my goal was 8.7 without spraying nitrous and that’s what we did at 4500 lbs. Now…. it’s 7.5 seconds without spraying at 3700 lbs. I can gear God laughing 😂

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
How about piecing one together using the DC catalog?
Stick one of the Hemi crate engines in it with a turbo 400 or a Glide.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
How about piecing one together using the DC catalog?
Stick one of the Hemi crate engines in it with a turbo 400 or a Glide.
The capability to “piece one together” goes a little beyond nuts and bolts. You’re talking about a car that is going to get down the quarter in less than 8 seconds. That looks like this. There’s welding involved. 😂 DFE83803-C907-449A-9604-6E2102D1F27E.jpeg 8076BB05-7E44-41DE-89EC-12A157D1105B.jpeg 863E99D9-2878-4067-A225-819A5490815C.jpeg BF4BA5D5-062D-4109-9398-FAFA276F10BE.jpeg 6CE596CA-DA02-4C66-BA98-E02071686A2D.jpeg 07DC5380-3C36-41F7-B9FC-3AB8916EB3A5.jpeg 176ED680-1B03-45F0-857A-1F13BAB6A878.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The capability to “piece one together” goes a little beyond nuts and bolts. You’re talking about a car that is going to get down the quarter in less than 8 seconds. That looks like this. There’s welding involved. 😂 View attachment 65379 View attachment 65380 View attachment 65381 View attachment 65382 View attachment 65383 View attachment 65384 View attachment 65385

It freaks me out to see a unibody designed for IRS with ONLY solid axle in it.

Almost naked looking.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
It freaks me out to see a unibody designed for IRS with ONLY solid axle in it.

Almost naked looking.
Haha. 300 lbs worth of clothes removed. There’s a lot more to that solid axle then initially obvious. There’s no attaching that stuff to the “unibody”. The entire Chromoly roll cage/structure is the new triangulated foundation for that rear end and suspension. From scratch you’re looking at over $40k to do that including the suspension and rolling pieces. That’s if you can contract the necessary shop skills and time at a “reasonable” cost. Good luck

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The capability to “piece one together” goes a little beyond nuts and bolts. You’re talking about a car that is going to get down the quarter in less than 8 seconds. That looks like this. There’s welding involved. 😂 View attachment 65379 View attachment 65380 View attachment 65381 View attachment 65382 View attachment 65383 View attachment 65384 View attachment 65385
I've wondered about how complete are the different systems that Direct Connection is offering? What else is needed except a skilled builder?