Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tips for you - Build Your Own Car - talk to the vendors yourself

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Guys,

Know it's intimidating sometimes to understand how all of the parts go together and what is the best for your build and which parts to choose from.

Tip 1: do not allow someone else, like a shop or a friend to build/spec your car. Get on the phone and talk to these parts vendors yourself. Almost every vendor likes to talk to owners and educate them. Pst, guess who has the money...not the shops...you do. They want to impress you (the owner) and educate you. Win, Win for Everyone.

Case in point: Thought someone like Carl Rossler would not talk to the likes of me. But after talking to him, I was shocked about how approachable he is. I had tons of questions about his TH400, internal and external dumps and how install your transmission with the correct parts. But in all reality, he appreciates owners that want to understand more. He likes to teach and share knowledge.

Another point: Don't really know how to spec a convertor or stator. Got on the phone with Neal Chance Convertors today. Marty answered and I said, "Looking for some help with our stator and do we need to change..etc..".

He said, hold up. Let's update your convertors build configuration. <what?> Marty wants to know exactly what's in your build from the block, stroke, size of turbos, trans and gear and to to rear gears....shocked the hell out of me. Btw, most of my information was totally wrong. I'll tell you more in a minute.

Then he says, "Let's screen share and you show me your log file, I want to walk you through what I see and give you some advice." Guys, we're talking about Marty Chance of Neal Chance convertors and he wants to spend an hour talking to a nobody like me. I'm not racing a Pro Mod or Street Outlaws door car....just a little ole Dodge Charger Hellcat owner, playing around in the race world. LOL!

I thought he wanted to see convertor pressure and transmission pressure....I was wrong.

Marty wanted to see RPM, gear shifts, G-Force, Driveshaft sensor, Boost and Timing. He said all these data points will determine if we need another stator or a whole new convertor.

Guess what? Marty said he was giving wrong information and my convertor was totally wrong for this build. SMH. Someone told him my turbos are not 66mm....they're 77mm, and max power would only be 1700 whp.... We're making north of 2k whp.

Last week, wanted to get on the phone and talk motors. Looked at Demon Performance short blocks. Called up, Skip answered. We just started talking short blocks, increased displacement, pistons and rods...etc..etc.. He wanted to know what we had in our motor. I did not have all of the answers and I started a group text with Skip and Jake Sampson.... they chatted and holy crap...Skip is 10,000 feet deep in knowledge about motors, spec, clearances. Jake gave him a seal of approval. He's good in my book. But after all that chat....humm...Demon Performance might have an upgrade or two, or three or a bunch to help us perform better.

Don't ask what we talked about..TOP SECRET lol

Tip 2: goes back to tip 1... talk to the vendors yourself. They will help you spec your car/build and you'll be happier in the long run and save money. Pst...it's your money. Be 100% responsible for your own build. Educate yourself in this car game.

A fool and his/her money are easily separated. Don't be a fool like me.

Here are some great vendors to talk to. Just giving this information to the community to share knoweldge and push us to go fast and safer.

Shops/Builder: Nicolas Performance or Baily's Hyperformance Factory

FuelTech Tuner: Nicolas Performance specializes in Twin Turbo
Racing Software: FuelTech #1 in the racing world. Second to no one.
OEM Tuner: so many to name.... Zdung is one of the best, Josh at HHP, Mike at OST

Engine Builders: Jake Sampson and Demon Performance
Dry Sumps: Bill Dailey at Dailey Engineering
Turbos: Harts Turbo no one makes more HP like these guys per mm
Spark Plug Wire: Firecore Performance Products these guys are good and really helpful

Coilovers: Menscer

Transmissions TH400: Rossler
Transmissions OEM: Sipple's Speed and Performance

Driveshaft: PST no one else, they're good

Rear End: no one else but IMS - Innovation Machining Solutions. Devon has four different levels of upgrades for our rear ends and for different power levels. He's the innovator on our platform. Everyone else copies his work.

Hope this post shares some knowledge and helps our community to advance.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
My first run in with Skip was probably 10 years ago. Totally stand up guy, so happy to see them doing so well.

It’ll be interesting to see what you can do with the new converter and whatever other voodoo magic you do to that hotrod. Good luck!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Agree. I’ve had the same experiences with several of the really competent manufacturers I am using. It’s always a surprise. The trans/converter building conversations I had with Todd at Coan Engineering are exactly as you describe with Rossler. . The black magic of converter design is truly rocket science. Because we’re building a new motor, I gave him all the specs on the car and dyno info on a similar build (all I had). He told me to expect to make stator changes once we start getting down the track and can provide real data. I’ve found that most of these people are really into what they do and enjoy talking about it with somebody who’s going to use it. After a few years of doing this I occasionally get to pass along something that somebody else told me. 👊

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hmmm
Youz 2 no tat eye have snot uzed my skippe dure reluck tant yetster. 2018 er and stall heve bent uszed itster and doo snot no how?? I read it 1one on utuber butt. Diamon Dol's got da bust of wa. Beautif nurse #2 just got da best of wa fer a walk aund da car. Nice car I have. Know Bikers around itsyer yet. Sha is nice. # 1 will be hea shoot lee. I wood do bettah with a perverter and a tuner wen I con afford em. Converter will beez frum Aylanta,, don't know about the perverter yetster. Have 2 chuck wit owner of da Bo next. Wallatee do on Wednesday. Oh, tits aftur men tation.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #5
My first run in with Skip was probably 10 years ago. Totally stand up guy, so happy to see them doing so well.

It’ll be interesting to see what you can do with the new converter and whatever other voodoo magic you do to that hotrod. Good luck!
Agreed and Skip is a stand up guy and we will tell everyone what is store with Demon Performance. Something big!

Yeah, this little bolt together should have never been ordered for our build. We hit 181 mph at 6.1 seconds into the 7.53 pass. Car should have went a low 7.30 or maybe high 20's at over 192 mph. Thus we were blowing through this convertor.

But Marty Chance will get us straightened out.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6
Agree. I’ve had the same experiences with several of the really competent manufacturers I am using. It’s always a surprise. The trans/converter building conversations I had with Todd at Coan Engineering are exactly as you describe with Rossler. . The black magic of converter design is truly rocket science. Because we’re building a new motor, I gave him all the specs on the car and dyno info on a similar build (all I had). He told me to expect to make stator changes once we start getting down the track and can provide real data. I’ve found that most of these people are really into what they do and enjoy talking about it with somebody who’s going to use it. After a few years of doing this I occasionally get to pass along something that somebody else told me. 👊
You know the deal Marc. We owners need to take our builds into our own hands and work with these vendors.
It's so satisfying to understand your build and to learn how their parts work in your car. You make the decision of what to buy and which part to choose.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Good Information @Dman007

I too in the past also went directly to the Parts vendor.
I also found Carl Rossler was a great man to speak with http://www.rosslertrans.com/
Along with Tony Bischoff of BES Racing Engines https://www.besracing.com/
Bruce Maichle, Racing & Technical Sales is very experienced with with the higher level Racing MFG and like @Marc W Coan is his choice too.
And he well connected to BES
https://highhorseperformance.com/bes-racing-at-hhp/

Neil Chance was also a great guy I had a 4,000.00 Bolt Together Convertor, my husband bought for a prior race car.

These Men are Building Engines and Transmissions for some the Worlds Fastest Race Cars.
Just think now, I asked questions that most men wouldn't ask because they might already know.
My Husband ordered what he wanted but he also encourage me to call and ask questions.
Both Tony and Carl spoke to me for quite sometime answering all my questions and explaining things in detail. I appreciated that.
Sometimes, I have spoken to the "Middle" guy that acted like parts were built right on their property and will tell you ( For all the guys that will remember)
It will ship on Friday. Or this is good for 1500 RWHP.

There are many good vendors who manufacture excellent quality parts for our Hellcats. I have also spoken directly with them too.

Our Hellcat Platform has come a long way. Today, there is enough information and known parts that a Hellcat can be built like @Dman007 's Worlds Fastest Hellcat Charger! Or I have the 9 second Hellcat Charger that I Daily drive and Drag race.

We already know the limits of many parts, so why keep spending money to keep finding out the limits of the parts and purse.

The trickle down effect is finally working and strong Race parts can be installed into our Hellcats!

Decisions, Decisions:unsure:
That is sometimes the hardest part to think about, :unsure: 10 second race car or 7 second race car!

Linda :)

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #8
Good Information @Dman007

I too in the past also went directly to the Parts vendor.
I also found Carl Rossler was a great man to speak with http://www.rosslertrans.com/
Along with Tony Bischoff of BES Racing Engines https://www.besracing.com/
Bruce Maichle, Racing & Technical Sales is very experienced with with the higher level Racing MFG and like @Marc W Coan is his choice too.
And he well connected to BES
https://highhorseperformance.com/bes-racing-at-hhp/

Neil Chance was also a great guy I had a 4,000.00 Bolt Together Convertor, my husband bought for a prior race car.

These Men are Building Engines and Transmissions for some the Worlds Fastest Race Cars.
Just think now, I asked questions that most men wouldn't ask because they might already know.
My Husband ordered what he wanted but he also encourage me to call and ask questions.
Both Tony and Carl spoke to me for quite sometime answering all my questions and explaining things in detail. I appreciated that.
Sometimes, I have spoken to the "Middle" guy that acted like parts were built right on their property and will tell you ( For all the guys that will remember)
It will ship on Friday. Or this is good for 1500 RWHP.

There are many good vendors who manufacture excellent quality parts for our Hellcats. I have also spoken directly with them too.

Our Hellcat Platform has come a long way. Today, there is enough information and known parts that a Hellcat can be built like @Dman007 's Worlds Fastest Hellcat Charger! Or I have the 9 second Hellcat Charger that I Daily drive and Drag race.

We already know the limits of many parts, so why keep spending money to keep finding out the limits of the parts and purse.

The trickle down effect is finally working and strong Race parts can be installed into our Hellcats!

Decisions, Decisions:unsure:
That is sometimes the hardest part to think about, :unsure: 10 second race car or 7 second race car!

Linda :)
Linda,
Really appreciate the good feedback about other vendors. Some more good contacts to add to our list.

But it does amaze me that these Pro Mod companies would be talking to us lil ole Hellcat people. LOL! :) But selling is selling and they want to increase market share.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Very interesting write up

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Amazing how you help a guy countless Times at the track , tried to convince him he had a throttle body issue instead of a transmission and after selling him a trans at 3 k (1/2 the going price ) and correcting the installation issues performed at another shop , went beyond what was earned , lol spend enough money and anyone can go fast , keep burning bridges and sooner or later you’ll run out of them , I’m sure this will be frowned upon

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Amazing how you help a guy countless Times at the track , tried to convince him he had a throttle body issue instead of a transmission and after selling him a trans at 3 k (1/2 the going price ) and correcting the installation issues performed at another shop , went beyond what was earned , lol spend enough money and anyone can go fast , keep burning bridges and sooner or later you’ll run out of them , I’m sure this will be frowned upon
You are on my list of top trans builder!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Heck as far as people willing to talk to you I don’t know if any trans builder is more willing to talk to the public then @hellno