Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tire problems, part the third

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, my friends' shop and I spent 4 hours changing tires yesterday. Yes, 4 hours. Took the defective OEM Pirellis off and put the new Pirellis on (sourced from a major retailer/warehouser, which shall remain nameless). Defectives come off easily, but the new All Seasons won't seat on either wheel. The inside would pop right away, but the outside would snug up under the lip and you'd get a 3" section that wouldn't seat. Mallet, strap, spinning tire on wheel, etc... nothing worked. After I took off for a meeting they ran the wheels and tires over to a shop with a cage and high pressure air and it seated perfectly.

So, take the car out and there is still shake over 80. Different shake, but still shake. Sending these tires back too, replacing with PS4S since these two will only be up front anyway. If the Michelins shake too, then we know its something else. I really went over the suspension, steering rack, etc.... with a fine toothed comb yesterday and so did they and still didn't see any damage that would account for the shake from that near blow out / lathe to the tire tread incident.

On the wheels, have not sent the ones that are out of round out to be machined yet. No time.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It can be risky to over inflate too much. My guess is that there wasn't enough tire lube, or the wrong kind was used.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Could it be the wheels?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have brand new Pirelli all seasons that shake too. Not sure how to "send them back" because I purchased from an out of state dealer when I was in a bit of a time crunch.

I thought I was crazy because I had 2 sets of wheels/tires doing almost the same exact thing (PS4Ss and Pirelli A/S), though the Pirellis were always much worse.

I'm sure you've seen my thread but, the solution to my PS4Ss problem was 2 new tires. The car drives like a dream again.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
It can be risky to over inflate too much. My guess is that there wasn't enough tire lube, or the wrong kind was used.
It was really really slick... even added a little water at one point. Never seen anything like it.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
it happens sometimes with the Pirelli's it seems. The ones on the Vipers routinely take 80+PSI to seat the bead. One guy I think had to go to 90
That's what we were told too, that we weren't going high enough. while I was around we were maxing at like 40 (yes, we're conservative) so hence to the cage at the other shop

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Could it be the wheels?
These wheels were a tiny tiny bit out of round, not perfect. But nothing that would produce any vibration in my experience. We'll see when the Michelins get here. As noted, that's the telling test, if the PS4S do it, then it's the wheel or something about the rotating assembly.

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
After reading about your tire issues, don't think I will ever change my tires!

Hopefully you resolve and curious to see what is causing the vibration.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
After reading about your tire issues, don't think I will ever change my tires!

Hopefully you resolve and curious to see what is causing the vibration.
Wouldn't drive em in the rain when the tread is gone...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Tires ain't perty but not to shake. Interesting.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Would it be possible to check the wheel on the balance machine with no tire mounted? Mark the area where the most weight is needed, this should rule out a wheel issue. Out of curiosity, are the match mounting (heavy mark on tire to valve stem)?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yes, a Hunter has the option to measure the bare rim, and obviously it can also be balanced without a tire.
The wheel can also be measure with a tire mounted, as long as there are no weights in the way, and the face of the wheel's design allows it.
That method isn't as good as measuring the bare rim, which measure the area where the tire seats.

Generally a tire should be mounted with the correct "ring" on the sidewall positioned at the valve stem.
The problem is that not all tire manufacturers use the same colors for indicating the same things.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The problem is that not all tire manufacturers use the same colors for indicating the same things.
I would imagine that most suppliers list this information on their webpage, at least I would hope so. I know that when I get tires mounted, I always ask to have them matched, just not sure if it goes unasked, does the installer practice this as part of the normal mounting procedure? My guess is that they do not.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
A good tire shop should know to do it. If not, it only takes a few seconds to look at the finished product and see if they did it right.
Of course, it sounds like many shops don't even know how to utilize the balancer to its fullest in the first place.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
OEM size PS4S arrived earlier this week; waiting on the M/T ET Street S/Ss to arrive, test the wheels without tires, slap them on, and return the latest set of OEM Pirelli all seasons.

Commentary: When I grabbed these PS4S's I immediately noticed that these seemed softer and more supple than this set of Pirelli's we are sending back, but also far softer and more supple than the PS4S's I put on the car when they were first introduced (and sent back because of the strange behaviour I experienced with them as rears)

Leaving town for the rockies. all you others travelling, be safe, and to all, hope you have a relaxing vacation.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I am out running errands and having fun with them. Today with the air continuing in dream condition the cars are running so well. They want to audibly squeal which is unusual. Makes it more fun modulating it, which is not taking much today!

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
So, the PS4Ss went on this morning, along with the new MT ET Street SSs, and the car is perfect. Rock solid up to low 110s (should hold true higher up too, by my experience; bad weather and traffic prevented higher testing). Offending Pirelli POS tires going back for full refund. I've always used Michellins and I'll keep doing that. That is 6 bad Pirellis from 2 different suppliers.

smooth escalator.gif

You could tell just by looking at it the rubber on the Hunter as it rotated.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You traveling through he Rockies with MT Street’s in the back?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
lol, no. For that I take the Expedition EL 4x4. Sometimes both it and the 2 wheel drive (wife/fancy) Expedition EL. Just the "driveway" leading to the cabin is intimidating for some. Had wood cutter bring in 2 cords of wood (he stacked one, had him dump the rest so we could do the other) and he said "you aren't kidding that drive is steep. That's STEEP." I have no doubt the Charger could make it without difficulty, but unless its summer I'm not taking it out there.

The old MTs were definitely done. Not as bad as the previous set, that had wire peeking in places but still ready to get off the car.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Ohhhhhh, so smooth. It's silly I know, but I always feel happy with new tires on the car, like it's Christmas and I'm 8 or something.

mcdonalds noodles.gif