Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tire questions - DR vs. PS4S et. all.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
how much difference in traction did you experience between the conventional road tire and the DR? I've run Mickey Thompsons and two sets of Nittos on the car (as well as the stock all seasons and PS4Ss). I am toying with returning to PS4S, Pirelli P Zero Corso, or maybe back to NT555RII or Mickey's again. As I have the 11s on the back, I'm looking at 305 or 315 to keep it inside. Any of you guys gone backwards, from the DRs to the "regular" tires recently? Is it just night and day or is it not that bad? For marital tranquility I'd like to get more than a few thousand miles out the next set :)

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I love my ps4s but when I let the air out of my MT etr's no comparison!
Straight line speaking.
On the back roads I love the Michelins all day long.
I have 3 sets of wheels and tires.
The Devils rim jobs with the ps4s, HR's with Nittos, and Bead locks with skinnies for the MT's.
Pretty hard to have one set of wheels and tires for these cars.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I love my ps4s but when I let the air out of my MT etr's no comparison!
Straight line speaking.
On the back roads I love the Michelins all day long.
I have 3 sets of wheels and tires.
The Devils rim jobs with the ps4s, HR's with Nittos, and Bead locks with skinnies for the MT's.
Pretty hard to have one set of wheels and tires for these cars.
Same. I have 2 sets. OEMSlingshots with Pirelli All Seasons and OEM 5 spokes with PS4s. Never ran a drag radial.

I daily my car and actually prefer the heavier slingshot wheel amd pirelli tire combo for daily, then swap them when i need to for lighter 5 spokes with PS4s and i usually swap my brake pads out then as well (run the Power Stop Z26s daily and swap in the factory Brembos when I need to put on the Michelins).

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Yes, I'm suspecting I'm going back with the M/T ET Street SS again. My joy is dig or low low roll and the DR is just so much better.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Gave up on DR’s after I discovered the PS4S.

WHY?
1. Lasts EXPONENTIALLY longer
2. Has EQUAL OR BETTER acceleration performance on the street
3. Will work in the rain
4. Can be confident they will not fold in a corner.
5. They ride smooth and quiet ALWAYS

Cost? Who gives a rip? What did you pay for your car? How much are those DR’s cost per mile when they last for 1000 miles and not 10,000 miles?

You guys are correct above, I have three sets of wheels and tires in my garage. 1- Street (PS4S), 2 - Track (BIG Cup 2’s), 3 spare track/rain (Toyo R888R, will be replaced with the new OEM Pirelli tires still on my shelf after I can wear the Toyo’s out). The Widebody makes this tire stuff easy. I had a regular body and feel for all of you, because your choices are severely limited.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Yes, I remember our different experiences with the PS4S, remember I actually sent mine back slightly used and they were completely okay with that. Weird oscillation and not as quick as the DRs on the streets here. But as noted, I think it also depends on our shitty "west texas" blend of asphalt. It's designed to maintain cohesion and not get sticky in the high heat here and I suspect that has, as a byproduct, inferior traction. Also, just for you other states, Texas companies can't warranty their asphalt surfaces. It's the law (or used to be last time I checked).

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I personally like the Hoosiers for the DR...I'm running 325/45/18 and the hook is incredible! For daily...PS4S hands down.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes, I remember our different experiences with the PS4S, remember I actually sent mine back slightly used and they were completely okay with that. Weird oscillation and not as quick as the DRs on the streets here. But as noted, I think it also depends on our shitty "west texas" blend of asphalt. It's designed to maintain cohesion and not get sticky in the high heat here and I suspect that has, as a byproduct, inferior traction. Also, just for you other states, Texas companies can't warranty their asphalt surfaces. It's the law (or used to be last time I checked).
Oh, I know, you have had the worst tire experiences ever! I have found out myself, the rear end is super sensitive to the rear toe settings. If off a little that mysterious rear end darting back and forth stuff will happen. It is actually worse on better concrete than asphalt, ouch!! Not fun and worse because of the power we push.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
how much difference in traction did you experience between the conventional road tire and the DR? I've run Mickey Thompsons and two sets of Nittos on the car (as well as the stock all seasons and PS4Ss). I am toying with returning to PS4S, Pirelli P Zero Corso, or maybe back to NT555RII or Mickey's again. As I have the 11s on the back, I'm looking at 305 or 315 to keep it inside. Any of you guys gone backwards, from the DRs to the "regular" tires recently? Is it just night and day or is it not that bad? For marital tranquility I'd like to get more than a few thousand miles out the next set :)
Marital tranquility ?? mag..surely you jest..she keepin a journal??..quickest way to tranquility for the little missus..sedation therapy ...(get the good stuff)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Gave up on DR’s after I discovered the PS4S.

WHY?
1. Lasts EXPONENTIALLY longer
2. Has EQUAL OR BETTER acceleration performance on the street
3. Will work in the rain
4. Can be confident they will not fold in a corner.
5. They ride smooth and quiet ALWAYS

Cost? Who gives a rip? What did you pay for your car? How much are those DR’s cost per mile when they last for 1000 miles and not 10,000 miles?

You guys are correct above, I have three sets of wheels and tires in my garage. 1- Street (PS4S), 2 - Track (BIG Cup 2’s), 3 spare track/rain (Toyo R888R, will be replaced with the new OEM Pirelli tires still on my shelf after I can wear the Toyo’s out). The Widebody makes this tire stuff easy. I had a regular body and feel for all of you, because your choices are severely limited.
Since you don't care about cost, can you buy me a set too?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I personally like the Hoosiers for the DR...I'm running 325/45/18 and the hook is incredible! For daily...PS4S hands down.
Also a fan of the Hoosiers. Still waiting on those 17's 28" tall dot drag radials

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Ive got to keep the PS4S in mind for my next tire change. Hard to believe they hook better than a DR, Im currently on 315 Nitto NT05r’s, but I bow to DGatzbys knowledge and experience here.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Since you don't care about cost, can you buy me a set too?
Ha funny. Actually if someone would get a square set from Michelin you can get a substantial wear warranty. I bet the cost per month or mile or whatever would be very acceptable. My PS4S REAR streets will see their third season easy next year.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ive got to keep the PS4S in mind for my next tire change. Hard to believe they hood better than a DR, Im currently on 315 Nitto NT05r’s, but I bow to DGatzbys knowledge and experience here.
They are big fatties but the RE did a 3.3.
The ‘15 did 3.5’s with the 285’s and 295’s on a 10.5” wide wheel. After that I never looked back.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
They are big fatties but the RE did a 3.3.
The ‘15 did 3.5’s with the 285’s and 295’s on a 10.5” wide wheel. After that I never looked back.
Good to know, thanks. With the Lil' Devil Flares, I'm wondering just how wide I can go back there. I'll do some looking around when the time comes. My current Nittos are on their second season, probably about 3k miles, and I'll certainly make it to next spring, at least.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I use the ps4s on the charger on the Redeye I’ve switch to the nittos NT555RII.. the nittos when aired down a bit will hook better. But the ps4s on the charger on the street do almost as good and they ride a bit smoother.. I’m only running the rear Nitto on the challenger I left the stock p zero up front.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
If your going to replace though I’d recommend the NT555RII. They’re great tires.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
Ps4s is fine if you're stock or near stock. They're comical if you're modded. I had them on right after my mods and would spin in every gear under 5th. And I'm not talking spin a little in 4th from a 70 roll, I'm talking spin until you let out. Mickey thompson (maybe the hoosiers but haven't tried them) are the only thing that I've had that will hook this power.

I tested out the ps4s on my 4hr drive home and immediately switched to my 18" NTO5R and those were better as I could actually hook 4th. Then switched to MT R and never looked back.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Very likely will replace the MT ET Street SS's with the same. As I've noted elsewhere, with the combo of altitude, heat (for example running this week in 107), lack of humidity, and shitty asphalt comp, these have provided the best off the line performance of all of them I've used.

Was checking prices and saw the most awesome quote regarding the M/T: the dude was putting them on a 2004 VW Beetle Turbo S and was unhappy that they didn't last very long. How can you know so little you're going to put a DR on a little economy car?

Stare.gif

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
My HC is not a DD, so that said, My track tires are 315 M/T R's on 17x10, Street tires are 315 Nitto 555 R2 on 20x11, these Nitto R2's are good on the street.