Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Trailer

Rellcat

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pana
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
What do you guys use to pull your Hellcats with? Looking for a trailer to pull it to the track. Trying to find a brand that I can open the doors over the wheel wells. I’m 6’4” 250. Getting out the window was much easier when I was younger. lol

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Ask @BULL to share his thread and link on this exact same question awhile back and or try to find it.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I’m 6’4” 250. Getting out the window was much easier when I was younger. lol
Ain't that the damn truth and it only gets worse as time goes by:LOL:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Used enclosed car hauler/race trailers in decent condition are near impossible to find. That being the case, unless you’re lucky, you’ll have to buy new. If you opt to order, it’s surprising how inexpensive adding the escape door is. If you find one available on the lot that doesn’t have that, there is another option than most don’t realize is very easy and safer than driving up and into a trailer. A winch with a nylon cable. You can add a tow ring to the front of the car (they are removable) and once you get the procedure down it is easy. You will never need to get into or out of the car in the trailer. F5C401B1-6497-493A-8B04-DBF04C2150A0.jpeg A7A6FFEC-DCB3-4A4E-9BE9-3B7600A71402.jpeg 4E8FA96F-AB65-4A95-BF16-B5420B45C4F7.jpeg

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
If a open car trailer is preferable (a lot cheaper) they do make them with removable fenders. The shop just bought one for hauling their customers Hellcats. It is a 18’ steel deck and has removable fenders. I don’t know the manufacturer but I think it was around $4k new.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Get the winch in the trailer... you'll regret not doing it when you need it.... and if you don't need it one of your buddies definitely will!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Get the winch in the trailer... you'll regret not doing it when you need it.... and if you don't need it one of your buddies definitely will!
Haha that’s the downside to having the trailer with a winch and going to the track with your “buddies”. We’re all at the track 40 miles from the shop and Tommy blows his trans. His car gets towed back to the shop in my trailer and I drive my race car (on $9 per gal race fuel) behind them on the freeway getting 4 mpg 😬

OP
Rellcat

Rellcat

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pana
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Enclosed trailers are nice. I have been looking at them. I would rather have an open trailer (for more than one use around the farm). I’m pretty much open at this point though.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
This trailer was totaled in two successive hall storms, but this is how I dealt with clearing the fenders on a steel trailer.

Right now I'm looking for a new Aluminum trailer to replace it, but they're not easy to find in the configuration that I want.

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Car loaded

Attachments

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If a open car trailer is preferable (a lot cheaper) they do make them with removable fenders. The shop just bought one for hauling their customers Hellcats. It is a 18’ steel deck and has removable fenders. I don’t know the manufacturer but I think it was around $4k new.
Unless the 'Cat's lowered, the door should easily clear a typical trailer fender.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
0CEBB3E7-D8F5-475A-9C4A-048E34127411.jpeg 281B5940-C1AF-4CC5-983B-9DCD2489910E.jpeg
Unless the 'Cat's lowered, the door should easily clear a typical trailer fender.
My 18’ open car hauler (48” dovetail) before moving to the enclosed. Car door did not clear the fender.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If you're getting an open trailer, get one with the removable fender. Even if your car will open over the fender, you can sure bet that at some point you will haul a car that won't. A longer beavertail section is nice too. On my last 18ft, it had a 4 ft beavertail and that made loading easier.
One thing to keep in mind with beavertails is the breakover angle. Of course, that was the least of my worries when picking up the 'Cat. I should've brought much longer ramps, to deal with the minuscule approach angle.
And while I prefer side access for the ramps, it really doesn't matter to me. I use aluminum ramps instead of what the trailers come with, and store them either in the bed or at the front of the trailer, nice and rattle free.

My 18’ open car hauler (48” dovetail) before moving to the enclosed. Car door did not clear the fender.
Figures. Mine are removable, but do clear the door.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
My brother just bought a new trailer. I convinced him to get 3 more feet on it. Due to that he had to now make several cuts to get it into his spot. He traded it in for a 3‘ shorter trailer and can make it in 1 now. So consider that if you have a lot of room it doesn’t matter but that may not always be the case.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
In both cases the doors cleared, but while the Caddy was just driven up, the 'Cat required a fair amount of stacking 2x4s and even lifting the front of the trailer up by about a foot above the coupler. DSCN2112.JPG

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
In both cases the doors cleared, but while the Caddy was just driven up, the 'Cat required a fair amount of stacking 2x4s and even lifting the front of the trailer up by about a foot above the coupler. View attachment 25666

Damn! That Cadillac looks like it's the heaviest piece there... :oops:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Damn! That Cadillac looks like it's the heaviest piece there... :oops:
Not quite. The Ram is at about 9,300 lbs.
It was a tow filled two days, taking the Caddy to my dealer in southern Utah, then a dealer-trade Jeep to northern Utah, load up the 'Cat and head home.

That looks like a short beavertail section. Mine was the last 4 ft which helped with ramp angles and such.
Yeah, it's only two feet long. Didn't really have Challengers in mind when buying that trailer.
Have since bought a 32-foot gooseneck with a 10-foot hydraulic dove tail, but have yet to measure/try if the angles will accommodate the 'Cat.

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
26 NEO all aluminun!!

Attachments

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Am I the only one here who likes using wheel nets?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country