Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What is the proper voltage for a battery at rest?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Drove the car Sunday and parked it in the garage. Don’t think I left a light on inside or anything else. Wednesday morning battery is dead, not even enough to open the trunk. One jump pack later, got the trunk open and had to jump it with the RAM. I drove it today for lunch, got home turned it on and off and she’s been on the tender since. Got in and it says 12.0v even. Took the tender off at 1422, if parasitic loss is involved we’ll find out in an hour. Did notice that the Tazer and HP Tuners are active on the bus even if the car is locked. 🤔 Anyone have this happen before?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Drove the car Sunday and parked it in the garage. Don’t think I left a light on inside or anything else. Wednesday morning battery is dead, not even enough to open the trunk. One jump pack later, got the trunk open and had to jump it with the RAM. I drove it today for lunch, got home turnes it on and off and shes been on the tender since. Got in and it says 12.0v even. Took the tender off at 1422, if parasitic loss is involved we’ll find out in an hour. Did notice that the Tazer and HP Tuners are active on the bus even if the car is locked. 🤔 Anyone have this happen before?

I believe the number you're looking for is 12.6-12.7, but I think you'll only see that in a completely charged AND disconnected condition.

As for the Tazer, it's supposed to not keep the bus active, but I found it can, and did kill my battery once. But all it took was a full recharge and all was fine. After that, I no longer leave the Tazer connected if I'm not actively using it.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Sounds like your devices did not let the CAN bus go to sleep which killed your battery. I had this happen with a Trinity in my 2009 Challenger. I had to change the bus ping time to resolve the issue. However even when properly working and dormant the Trinity drew WAY too much current itself so I never left it plugged in for more than a day.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
12.6 to 12.8 volts.
Under 12.6 is low, under 12.4 is basically dead.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Went downstairs, car started no problem. Going to leave tazer and mpvi unplugged till racing.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
my light weight battery has a gauge on it and it is normally at 13.2-13.4

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you have the factory battery I would be replacing it. My '16 went this year and yours is a '15. I was playing with the burnbox one day and shut the car off without ending the cool down on it and my battery was dead the next day. As long as they are not running, they will be fine to leave hooked up. Haven't had an issue since

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I keep mine on a trickle charge and check voltage under the hood from time to time while it's charging. The voltage will go up to 13.3V and then shut off till it gets to 12.7V and then turn on again till it gets to 13.3V.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Tazer eating batteries is a thing.

FYI.

Bob

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
If you have the factory battery I would be replacing it. My '16 went this year and yours is a '15. I was playing with the burnbox one day and shut the car off without ending the cool down on it and my battery was dead the next day. As long as they are not running, they will be fine to leave hooked up. Haven't had an issue since
Yeah already replaced the battery this year, was the original 2015 battery and it had a great life. So far car is good. Not worried at all.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
My cars an 18 and it seems the battery is going week. I’m hoping it is good till spring since the season is about over.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Burnbox left plugged in killed mine. Recharged and no issues. My '15 is still on its original battery.....so far....

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
my burnbox is always plugged in. Like I said, you probably left something on. As long as nothing is engaged it will not draw voltage

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I haven’t had issue with burnbox with the car off. I have left the car sit for over a week without issue.
only issue I have with the burnbox is the traction control error after the burnout

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Burnbox left plugged in killed mine. Recharged and no issues. My '15 is still on its original battery.....so far....
I believe the burnbox killed my battery as well - I parked it overnight with the Tazer attached and the battery was dead the next morning. The battery was a new (less than a year old), I recharged it and it still seems good. I now pull the burnbox when I park it for any length of time...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I haven’t had issue with burnbox with the car off. I have left the car sit for over a week without issue.
only issue I have with the burnbox is the traction control error after the burnout
Maybe it is because the burnbox is in the trunk. We talked about this. Before this year I was using it in the dash and never had it do that

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Mi
Maybe it is because the burnbox is in the trunk. We talked about this. Before this year I was using it in the dash and never had it do that
Mine is in the trunk... never used it under the dash.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Mi

Mine is in the trunk... never used it under the dash.
That was in response to Jon about it changing the screen after the burnout at the track. Last year it was fine under the dash. Since it has been in the trunk after the burnout it goes back to street mode so I have to change back to my race settings before I get to the line
I may move it back to the dash and see if it still does it

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY