Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What was your reaction the first time behind the wheel of a Hellcat??

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I know everyone enjoys the Hellcats (Scat Packs, 1320's, Demons, Redeye's, etc), but tell about your first time behind the wheel - which car did you drive and what was your reaction?

Mine was a test drive in a used 2016 Challenger Hellcat M6 (at a small used car dealership) - the salesman would not drive it (a manual trans and too much power), so he let me take it out with my wife and daughter, (and the salesman, of course) We pulled out in front of the dealership and I gave it about half throttle in first gear - the tires started spinning with no effort at all - Wow!!!, the car has some power!! I am sure I was grinning ear to ear... We took it around the block, but stayed out of it for the most part because the area was known for cops with no sense humor... The salesman said he knew a place to open it up little -I was game!!! so we took a short drive to a warehouse district. It wasnt a big place but you could see everywhere around, eliminating any surprises coming out. Well I pulled around the corner to a straight section in third gear about 25 miles an hour, immediately downshifted to second and put it to the floor - it took off like a rocket hitting 80 mph almost immediately. I had driven some fast cars, but the acceleration was unreal - I was hooked and probably would have bought that car then and there if my wife hadn't pulled me back from the brink.
I took a closer look, putting the car on a lift at the dealerships shop and saw the car had been modified (headers, driveshaft, cold air intake, exhaust, green supercharger belt, and likely a supercharger pulley). It also had about 20k on the odometer - all of these made me think twice owning that car and buying someone elses problems, so I made them a low ball offer (I knew they wouldnt accept), but I was hooked on the car and knew I was getting one!! I had heard they were fast, but the Hellcat is at a different level!
What was your first experience?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
The first time I drove my Hellcat, or any Hellcat for that matter, was when I left the dealership. I stalled it pulling out of it's parking space. In that moment I knew it was meant to be.

For the rest of the evening my ears were saturated with intoxicating blower whine while staring over the long white buldged hood while we tried to figure each other out.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I'd been wanting to get a new car for awhile. Needed something that could haul kids around and wanted something fun after years of more practical cars. I've had a few fun cars in the past but missed the muscle car action of my old modified Z28 the most, (V8 rumbling rear wheel drive smoke machine smile maker.) So I was thinking maybe a Scat Pack Charger? Went to the local dealer to explore. They had a few Hellcat Chargers on the lot I couldn't help but notice. I thought to myself, well I should probably consider going all the way and get a Hellcat. Wouldn't want to regret being more reasonable like I normally am. They didn't want to allow test drives but the salesman was new. I suggested taking out the used one they had with only a few thousand miles on it. He got me the keys. I only put a few miles on it and didn't push it much but that was enough. This was exactly the type thing I was after. My biggest concern was how it would behave in the normal daily grind of traffic and crappy roads. It did just fine. So I made an offer on one of the new ones. Having done my homework, I knew what I could get one for. They didn't want to let it go at my price so I picked one up a few days later from a dealer several hundred miles away. So far I think I made a good choice. Love this beast.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
After being involved with SRT's, since 06, the first ride in my hellcat impressed me that they have been watching the forums and aftermarket, closely.

Superchargers, streaming bluetooth audio, better audio choices (though I miss my OEM Kicker system), way more hp... even paddle shifters... yep. They were watching.

These are things that, over the years, I installed, built and developed for SEMA builds, down to daily drivers and it's nice to have them all in one package!

This thing is amazing, in every way... and every mod just makes it better.

Bob
Riverside, California

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
M6 Hellcat, around December 30th in PA, 35 degrees and wet, red key without salesman. But pulled in with my buddy and his 800 hp stang so they must of had faith we knew what we where doing. I bought it right then and there. But I was drooling over it for the 6 months it was there, just happen to show up the day before it was going to auction and snagged it for 45k, fully loaded, pristine, 7300 miles, been lovin it since, especially now with 825 wheel and a 2.98 first 2.10 second Tranzilla with Nitto 315 NT05R’s, it’s wicked!!

781CD411-46A7-4F0D-B6C1-FC21BD34B6DD.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
...but tell about your first time behind the wheel - which car did you drive and what was your reaction?
My first reaction once driving my Hellcat was "Oh, this is nice!"
Which was shortly followed by "Crap, the next 500 miles are going to suck".

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lantana
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Was directly involved getting the original Viper out of a Skunk Works into the production plant to build units, was on the Small Car Platform Leadership Team that developed the Viper Coupe and assisted Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO - Now SRT) in having access to suppliers that allowed use of many performance vehicles during my career at Chrysler. Vipers were always entertaining and a handful to drive but having a Neon SRT Mule for the weekend that was not emissionized and a year before production was one of the memorable drives until getting the Redeye. OMG - No or little traction on 50 to 60 mph rolls may require getting some new shoes. Very tame and civil when my foot not into it but stomp on the pedal and unleash the Beast. Then there is that addicting supercharger whine. Almost 70 years old and couldn't be happier..... 11988657_10204552152995731_1620345293644711433_n[1].jpg

Last edited:

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I traded in my 14' Chrysler 300SRT so I had a little Intel as what to expect going from 470hp to 707 with my 16' HellCat Charger. Blip'd the throttle at 25-30mph with immediate wheel spin. Ok. Feathering the throttle will be taken to the next level with this car. I know what my limitations are, even if I haven't taken the car to its limits.

Tmrw will mark 1yr ownership of my HC. Love the remote cold starts, the color, the ride, the whine.

It's never gets old. 🍻🇺🇸

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My 16 M6 HC only had 878 miles when I got it in Aug of 18. The original owner babied the car so I kept babying it too. I drove it with the black key fob all the way up to 1500 miles. Then I reached for the red key fob. Holy Sh*t!!!! I got on it one day and then began to laugh really hard. I thought "I better be very careful because I can get into some serious trouble with this car". Then I put a peddle commander in it. It's out of control :D

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
My first drive in a Hellcat was the 2017 Charger we bought sight unseen off the internet. I had a yellow Camaro SS, and my wife had txted me a photo of a yellow Charger, saying wouldn't it be fun to match (she was bored with the cute-ute she traded her old Charger to get when she became grandma).
I had been scoping Hellcats already, and that txt was all it took. About 2 weeks later, we were in LA picking up her HC. First drive was with wife in front, sales guy in back. I didn't need to thrash it much to know we had made the right choice. The drive home to New Mexico was a blast. Lots of thumbs-ups crawling out of LA traffic. Then into 3 digits lots on open stretches through the desert coming home.
It only took about a month before my Camaro was gone and I had my Challenger HC.
We both love them more than I can tell you!
Fantastic cars as all of you here know

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
20180713_193839.jpg

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I was in utter disbelief that I was in this car at my age. It was surreal because I had been after it since late 2014 when it was announced. After I bought it, I just sat still in the car, took a deep breath, and then pushed the ignition with the biggest smile on my face.

It didn't feel real until I drove it off the lot, alone without a salesman in the back seat. I gunned it for the first time onto an on ramp and nearly pissed myself. This thing is insane, and I have a 2 hour drive home in it!

Love this car, it's my dream car and definitely lives up to its reputation. I just wish the mustang's and Prius' would stop wanting to race on the freeway.

I came from a Honda Accord...so yea there was a learning (driving) curve lol

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I know everyone enjoys the Hellcats (Scat Packs, 1320's, Demons, Redeye's, etc), but tell about your first time behind the wheel - which car did you drive and what was your reaction?

Mine was a test drive in a used 2016 Challenger Hellcat M6 (at a small used car dealership) - the salesman would not drive it (a manual trans and too much power), so he let me take it out with my wife and daughter, (and the salesman, of course) We pulled out in front of the dealership and I gave it about half throttle in first gear - the tires started spinning with no effort at all - Wow!!!, the car has some power!! I am sure I was grinning ear to ear... We took it around the block, but stayed out of it for the most part because the area was known for cops with no sense humor... The salesman said he knew a place to open it up little -I was game!!! so we took a short drive to a warehouse district. It wasnt a big place but you could see everywhere around, eliminating any surprises coming out. Well I pulled around the corner to a straight section in third gear about 25 miles an hour, immediately downshifted to second and put it to the floor - it took off like a rocket hitting 80 mph almost immediately. I had driven some fast cars, but the acceleration was unreal - I was hooked and probably would have bought that car then and there if my wife hadn't pulled me back from the brink.
I took a closer look, putting the car on a lift at the dealerships shop and saw the car had been modified (headers, driveshaft, cold air intake, exhaust, green supercharger belt, and likely a supercharger pulley). It also had about 20k on the odometer - all of these made me think twice owning that car and buying someone elses problems, so I made them a low ball offer (I knew they wouldnt accept), but I was hooked on the car and knew I was getting one!! I had heard they were fast, but the Hellcat is at a different level!
What was your first experience?
Picked up my 16 HC on a Monday...the cold fast idle caught me off guard..the ride home (9 thruway miles)...at the speed limit made me realize how loud this car is...off the thruway at a red light..one quick stab of throttle made me realize how fast this car was...I've been in love ever since

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My first drive in a Hellcat was the 2017 Charger we bought sight unseen off the internet. I had a yellow Camaro SS, and my wife had txted me a photo of a yellow Charger, saying wouldn't it be fun to match (she was bored with the cute-ute she traded her old Charger to get when she became grandma).
I had been scoping Hellcats already, and that txt was all it took. About 2 weeks later, we were in LA picking up her HC. First drive was with wife in front, sales guy in back. I didn't need to thrash it much to know we had made the right choice. The drive home to New Mexico was a blast. Lots of thumbs-ups crawling out of LA traffic. Then into 3 digits lots on open stretches through the desert coming home.
It only took about a month before my Camaro was gone and I had my Challenger HC.
We both love them more than I can tell you!
Fantastic cars as all of you here know
Only in America..and with SRT people at FCA..can guys like us on here have so much fun with a car...great aint it???

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Only in America..and with SRT people at FCA..can guys like us on here have so much fun with a car...great aint it???
Really pretty wild! And the best part, since the first drives in each, I've never felt bored once, ever.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I went from a 1991 Twin Turbo 3000GT VR4 (with 300horses) to a Demon. LOL (to say the least!)

Funniest of all, the VR4 was one of the fastest cars you could buy back then! More L(ing)OL!

Great posts....BTW, don't kid yourselves. We are in THEE golden age of muscle cars. Don't let the 1st rd (60s-70) fool ya. That said, round 1 ended abruptly so don't get complacent.

Buy and enjoy now while you still can! The high performance supercharged V8 ICE age will soon be melting!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
OR advancement in technology coupled with realistic reporting of the insane levels of damage to our environment are being caused by electric cars will push the RuPaul of cars (electric) back into the closet.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Really pretty wild! And the best part, since the first drives in each, I've never felt bored once, ever.
mine is an M6..I don't want a computer shifting my car..to me...its one click above being a passenger...shift point...inertia..i control it...sure its not as fast...I Drive my car...I don't ride in it...if you get it...you get it...if not you have an A8...(not that theres anything wrong with that)

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
mine is an M6..I don't want a computer shifting my car..to me...its one click above being a passenger...shift point...inertia..i control it...sure its not as fast...I Drive my car...I don't ride in it...if you get it...you get it...if not you have an A8...(not that theres anything wrong with that)
My Challenger is an M6, love it. But A8 has its charms too.