Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Who here misses the simplicity of a regular cab pick up truck?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Gonna date myself, as I grew up a child of the 70's & 80's and regular cab pu trks were industry standard. Nobody I knew had an extra cab or quad cab.

And they were MANUAL transmissions. My 1975 Dodge Powerwagon was regular cab. 6foot bed. Manual 4 speed. 1st spd granny gear, so really 2-3-4. 318cid. All wheel drive til about 25mph, then the rear shaft took over. Came with very modest 2-55 AC unit. A double date immediately required gettin' cozy. 4 people and only 3 seatbelts. Oh the horror.

Please don't insult me with an "OK Boomer". Those miscreants are my parents. I'm Generation X!

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
My first truck was an '80s Ranger... 1 wheel drive, dual plug 4cyl with a 5 speed - standard cab long bed. Paid $500 for it.
2 tone red/white on the outside and A LOT of red on the inside. Had an '87 Mustang around the same time that had the same red interior...

That was a simpler time, for sure. I could drive that truck again, I met my wife in it. Wouldn't hold my kids... and lacks all of the creature comforts that have spoiled us for the last 2 decades.

After that I had an '80s Ranger... this one was an extended cab with 4wd... $800 - The floor was so rotted you had to sit on the edge of the seat because if you sat back the legs of the seat would go through the holes and you'd recline into the back seat. The floormats were keeping my feet in the truck. I should have screwed them down, but it was easier to clean my boots directly on to the road than to clean the mat. It had re-treads on it, one of which blew out on me on the highway, took a brake line with it... made for an interesting drive home with no brakes.
Had an '80s Chevy Silverado - std cab, auto v6, long bed... 1 wheel drive - and an automatic with at least 2 gears at any given time. $500 - That was red all over too, could put stuff through the tailgate on that one - didn't even have to open it - nor could you. lol
Also, '80s Silverado - std cab long bed - 305V8 4WD 5 speed - The guy I sold it to locked up the rear diff on his way home. I paid $800 for it, he paid $800 for both Chevys at the time.
Last cheap truck was an early '90s Chevy S10 std cab, 4cyl, 2wd, I took it in on trade for another truck, haha.

I honestly never fit in a standard cab... always uncomfortable. I'll probably never own anything other than crew cabs from now on. I've had 5 of them, even without rear passengers, you can't go wrong with the extra space.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Gonna date myself, as I grew up a child of the 70's & 80's and regular cab pu trks were industry standard. Nobody I knew had an extra cab or quad cab.

And they were MANUAL transmissions. My 1975 Dodge Powerwagon was regular cab. 6foot bed. Manual 4 speed. 1st spd granny gear, so really 2-3-4. 318cid. All wheel drive til about 25mph, then the rear shaft took over. Came with very modest 2-55 AC unit. A double date immediately required gettin' cozy. 4 people and only 3 seatbelts. Oh the horror.

Please don't insult me with an "OK Boomer". Those miscreants are my parents. I'm Generation X!
Mine was a 1978 Power Wagon - 360, 4 speed, with the full time 4 wheel drive. It is my second favorite truck (right behind my 1998 Cummins 24v, one ton dually)...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm sorry, I'm fully in love with my stretched out pickup cab...

Never going back...

Nope, can't make me...

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Had this one since 2005. Been a great truck: 2001 2WD Cummins, 5 speed, short bed and quad cab. Bought a new 2015 Ram2500 4x4 quad cab, 6.4 and only kept it 4 months. It was a pig and no fun to drive. The 6.4 had no zip to it and got like 11mpg! Next truck will be a 5.7. 4F550B23-1406-4272-90A3-A272645AF11A.jpeg

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I am on my 8th quad cab. Cant imagine nowhere to put my stuff and my head banging on the back window. Nope.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Still have my almighty 2000 S10 LS 4WD - standard cab with the 4.3 V6. I bought it new, and until recently it was a OK truck overall. Oner the years I've had to replace all the fuel injectors (bad design on originals), and had a wiring issue that was a bear to figure out. Only really drive it during winters or when I hauled the boat, so it sat outside a lot.

Between winter salt/brine on roads and sitting outside, the rust has gone terminal. All the bracing under the bad looks like artifacts and huge rust flakes all over the place. I just got done replacing the entire rear brake lines for the rear brakes, and now my shift lever on the column no longer puts the truck in gear...cable keeps popping off the shift lever on trans. So - it's gotta go soon unfortunately. Only 103K on it, and it actually runs smooth as a sewing machine and the 4WD still works great.... wish I had a good rolling chassis to transfer this drivetrain into....

-And I agree that standard cabs are a tight squeeze especially for us bigger (fat) guys with small PU's like mine....funny, it didn't seem too small when I bought it?? Extended or crew cab for the next one...full size PU only.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Having overdosed on crew cabs over the years, when my '17 3500 cab and chassis didn't run right, I ordered an '18 regular cab.
Sure enough, on the way to get the '18, the '17 started running better. Put about 1,000 miles on the regular cab before selling it to a friend. And I do miss it at times. DSCN1925.JPG

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
While I've had many, various cars throughout my life, they've come and gone but I've ALWAYS made sure I had a truck in my life. My current (bought new) '05 Ram (Daytona Package) has been my favorite by far. I took the wing and lower aero kit off within the first week I bought the truck and boxed it up in storage. I love the GoManGo color, but hated all the extra fluff they put on it. The extra area behind the rear seat was a huge improvement from the years where the seat was right up against the back wall/window. Just enough room to throw a few items back there and also give plenty of seat adjustment.

She's been a very special truck, but is starting to show her age. The wife is now urging me to by a new one. Although FCA introduced the new design (not available with a regular cab), they kept the older style around and call it "Classic" style. For 2020, FCA is cutting back on options and colors available on the Classic, so to get a new truck special enough to replace my 'TONA, I'm looking at leftover '19 models and found a limited, "special package" that will suffice. However, it's only available in a quad cab or a crew cab. I really don't need all the extra room back there and the additional length to the truck overall. To make it worse, while I've found just a few, 2wd CREW cabs with this package, the QUAD cabs all have 4wd. I really, really don't need 4wd. Not only would I be paying extra for something I don't want or need, I don't care for the extra NVH factor I feel with the 4wd. Unfortunately(??), FCA and my dealer are reducing prices super low ($31K for a truck with a $46K MSRP), so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the quad cab with 4wd.

I'm sure the extra space of the quad cab will come in handy from time to time. Whether I'll ever need the 4wd remains to be seen. I do like the truck and think it can take the place of the 'TONA (in my heart), but I dislike FCA forcing such major changes on buyers (no regular cabs on the new style Rams and 4wd only, on this special color package).
OK, enough of my complaining. I am truly blessed...

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I would be hard pressed to get anything smaller than a crew cab half ton.
I can live with the 6 1/2 foot bed vs the 8 foot but the crew cab is the best as a manhaul, put all your hand tools inside,
and almost anything else you want to keep out of the weather.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I had a 1979 l'il red express truck then later on I got a a 1996 Indy pace truck . Wish I had the l'il red again ....... Still have the Indy pace truck

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I would be hard pressed to get anything smaller than a crew cab half ton.
I can live with the 6 1/2 foot bed vs the 8 foot but the crew cab is the best as a manhaul, put all your hand tools inside,
and almost anything else you want to keep out of the weather.
Yup. Same here. Plus Im a dedicated diesel guy.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I had a 1979 l'il red express truck then later on I got a a 1996 Indy pace truck . Wish I had the l'il red again ....... Still have the Indy pace truck

We must be related somehow. LOL
From we both had a 68 RR to
I had a 79 Little Red Express. Really miss that truck. Couldn't afford an Indy Pace truck at the time. The other truck I miss is my 91 w250 Cummins.

That being said you will have to pry my 19 Limited out of my cold dead hands. Finally got one with Ram box, awesome.
The Cat would go first for practicality.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
We must be related somehow. LOL
From we both had a 68 RR to
I had a 79 Little Red Express. Really miss that truck. Couldn't afford an Indy Pace truck at the time. The other truck I miss is my 91 w250 Cummins.

That being said you will have to pry my 19 Limited out of my cold dead hands. Finally got one with Ram box, awesome.
The Cat would go first for practicality.
Team Jim thinks alike! ( except selling the cat ove the truck lol)

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Team Jim thinks alike! ( except selling the cat ove the truck lol)

Not anytime soon. Still got stuff to do with it.😉

srtdusty

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Mound
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
I still have two, both regular cabs with a manual trans
94 Ram 2500
07 Ram 2500

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Still rockin' my single cab. 😃 20181022_121958.jpg

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I've been in my current home for about a decade, and ever since we moved in one of my neighbours has always had regular cab, short box GM trucks. I am pretty sure he custom orders them because they are a rare sight. I am also convinced he gets the largest gas engine available to make it a bit of a factory hot rod (light weight and some legit oomph!) - because that is how I would order it.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Ram still makes the Regular Cab short bed in the Tradesman and Express model.I had traded my 17MY Regular cab Sport on the 19 Hellcat. Have to get the 3:92 gear to make it fun with the 5.7 Hemi.Would get another one if i needed a truck.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States