Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Z Automotive double bypass cable or HP Tuners bypass cable?

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I've got a 2021 Super Stock and need to be able to read my stock tune file with HP Tuners MPVI2+ (as well as write a tune at a later date)... Can I use the Z Automotive double bypass cable or do I need to get the HP Tuners bypass cable? Asking because the HPT involves taking some of the dash trim out but the Z Automotive looks like it goes in the trunk (easy). If I read correctly, the Z Automotive is really just adding a 2nd OBD2 port which I guess bypasses security...

Thanks.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@jonx96 I believe did both. He would be able to explain more

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
You can look at the Diablo bypass cable. It goes from the passenger side under the dash through the cosnsole to the odb port. You can use the taser double bypass by that means the hp tuners device is in the trunk. Which could make datalog or writing a new tune a hassle.
I have the Diablo one. Hp tuners one goes behind the radio.
But yes I have both. Burnbox In the trunk and hp tuners by my feet

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #4
You can look at the Diablo bypass cable. It goes from the passenger side under the dash through the cosnsole to the odb port. You can use the taser double bypass by that means the hp tuners device is in the trunk. Which could make datalog or writing a new tune a hassle.
I have the Diablo one. Hp tuners one goes behind the radio.
But yes I have both. Burnbox In the trunk and hp tuners by my feet
Since I can already datalog in the factory obd2 port with my MVPI2+, I think I would be okay with having to read/write in the trunk.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
I just installed the Z double bypass. I had to empty the trunk, climb in, bent over with my head under the back window to get at and connect the wires to the Star connectors. Try doing that at my age, good grief, almost could not get back out of the trunk.
Oh, and the connectors were not the color the manual said they were, I had to go by the color of the wires. Also, the spade terminal on the ground wire was to small. I replaced it with a ring terminal of 1/4" IIRC.
Thinking back, I should have gone through the passenger compartment.

Last edited: