Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How-To: Cell Comm Killer.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Yes.

Essentially all over the air updates are done, without your permission. Once the packet is downloaded (usually over several days), it is resident and in some cases, will not let you use your infotainment screen, until you accept their terms and update. One cannot refuse the resident update. Nor, can one refuse to have it downloaded. Hence the desire to block access to the vehicle network.

I ran into this, with 18-45-01. It fucked my nav and I had to wait for them to send me a usb. THEN, it fucked my performance pages and leaves stupid yellow warning triangles, when I select a pre-set custom mode. Just another example of their many update failures.
This is probably related to why the thieves can get your FOB info through the air!

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Thread Starter #22
This is probably related to why the thieves can get your FOB info through the air!
There are a LOT of security concerns, with this platform.

I've locked out my RF Hub. Not with the retarted software update (fixing a software vulnerability, with more software), but physically disable the hub (with other points of interest).

Security, however, is another topic I will not discuss, in the open forum.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
There are a LOT of security concerns, with this platform.

I've locked out my RF Hub. Not with the retarted software update (fixing a software vulnerability, with more software), but physically disable the hub (with other points of interest).

Security, however, is another topic I will not discuss, in the open forum.
I agree %100 and think it's a bad idea to post anything about how the thieves are stealing our cars. Why give a link to help!

As a Mod, I am surprised the amount of people who come from countries that I know do not belong on here. And of course they get spam blasted. I see countries that I have never heard of, but they are from bad areas of the world and they always own an Elise......LOL Hey idiot you don't own a Hellcat......Blast off :poop: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I guess for me when I first saw the Star link in my sky and then looked up about it, was then, I realized how these people are finding our forums and probably helps the Russian get into our technology information.

Always have to look at the Bigger picture on something, especially these days.

It only took 26 people to cause 911.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger
I have a Friend who thought the same thing.

I only know of the device people can put in their car from the insurance company to detect your speed for lower rates.
I will tend to believe that is not the only way !
Have seen similar jumps. Interestingly, an insurance agent I spoke with cited the record influx of aliens, said the insurance company had never had so many non-SSN'd drivers added to policies in the 32 years she'd been working there. Said their liability (and number of claims) had skyrocketed.

Was an interesting data point.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Have seen similar jumps. Interestingly, an insurance agent I spoke with cited the record influx of aliens, said the insurance company had never had so many non-SSN'd drivers added to policies in the 32 years she'd been working there. Said their liability (and number of claims) had skyrocketed.

Was an interesting data point.
I think that is a dumb answer to make other people think it sounds like a good reason to raise rates.

Why would someone want to extend insurance to someone who technically not be able to work.

Now if they said there has been more accidents from drivers without SSN's and or insurance, that would make more sense.

Linda

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
Then you have to wonder, if you disable the device that’s feeding the data, would the insurance company just assume the worst. :unsure:
Mine didn't and hasn't. My information just isn't in the data they buy from Guardian and Stellantis. Off grid. Solid.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
How do I clean the slate and start fresh? Go to a new insu co?

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Freaking awesome information.
Don't stop

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
@GNBRETT Brent, I experienced a U-Connect take over of most if not all of the functions controlled by the U-Connect screen. The cars drive ability was also compromised. It was scary until I realized what was happening.
Thanks to @Diboblo , never again.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
How do I clean the slate and start fresh? Go to a new insu co?
Once you block cellcomms, there's nothing out there, in you... from that point forward. All of your old data will still be traded, but it will age and be considered unreliable.

The key is to just get out of the system, if you are concerned with data security and tracking every data point, on the vehicle.

You will never be able to zero out. Any ins you go to, will already have any historic data your car has provided. How much do they take into consideration? Who knows, but some people have seen rate spikes that have to correlate to driving habits.

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
Man, I wish you were closer, I'd like to discuss all this stuf in detail. I'm a tech retard, and fear technology. I don't even use my radio, and the only thing I use my panel for, is climate and SRT stuff. I do like the u-connect feature when I need to make calls....but it isn't even required in my life. I can always pull over to make calls. I certainly don't like Big-Brother in my life...or my car.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
Man, I wish you were closer, I'd like to discuss all this stuf in detail. I'm a tech retard, and fear technology. I don't even use my radio, and the only thing I use my panel for, is climate and SRT stuff. I do like the u-connect feature when I need to make calls....but it isn't even required in my life. I can always pull over to make calls. I certainly don't like Big-Brother in my life...or my car.
You can block the vehicle cellcomms and still pair your phone to the car, to make a call. When you make a call, via bluetooth, you're just using your phone. When they upload all the data, from the car's black box, they are spying on you. That's what you're blocking, by disabling onboard cellcomms.

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB
I appreciate all the info, but am afraid to start taking this stuff apart and changing things I don't understand. I avoid electronic stuff, like truck-stop lizards.
I build 8-9 second dragcars, and fabricate. However, this stuff isn't out-of-my-lane...it's on a different highway.

I need to find a Motown local person that does understand or can learn about the info here. Otherwise, between theft and insurance rates, I'll just sell these new cars to keep my sanity.

Last edited:
OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #38
To be clear... your car has an onboard cell module. It is sending and receiving, all the time. This is what we are disabling.

It is independent from your personal cell phone.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger
I appreciate all the info, but am afraid to start taking this stuff apart and changing things I don't understand. I avoid electronic stuff, like truck-stop lizards.
I build 8-9 second dragcars, and fabricate. However, this stuff isn't out-of-my-lane...it's on a different highway.

I need to find a Motown local person that does understand or can learn about the info here. Otherwise, between theft and insurance rates, I'll just sell these new cars to keep my sanity.
A real benefit of what @Diboblo has come up with (the cell blocker, and also his satcomm blocker) is that it's completely reversible. Nothing is destructive, and other than the hassle of taking apart the dash trim and popping some screws out that hold in the head unit, it's easy to undo.

Yes, creating the dongles themselves takes a little bit of crafty/soldering chops, but once they exist, unplugging/plugging a couple of connectors is straightforward and reversible.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger
To be clear... your car has an onboard cell module. It is sending and receiving, all the time. This is what we are disabling.

It is independent from your personal cell phone.
Upon further inspection/thought:

How did you end up at the 10K ohm, 7W (fixed) wirewound resistor calculation?

Reason I ask, this will work fine for the purple (FAKRA D) connector, however, per my earlier comments in this thread, *IF* I need to also block the pink (FAKRA H) connector, I'm not sure if the resistance would be the same, and not sure how to calculate.

Obviously would need a different plug housing also.