Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Possible NEW Hellcat Owner

Member ID
Reactions
City
Eustis
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT/70RR
Not really new to this group - but - Im looking at possibly buying a used Hellcat. Ive been into Mopars since I was 14 (Now 66) . Ive built a few cars and am now looking a possibly buying a used Hellcat . What are the things I need to watch out for? Is there already a THREAD in this group with what Im looking for ?

Thanks !

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Welcome to our place, good luck in your hunt.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Not really new to this group - but - Im looking at possibly buying a used Hellcat. Ive been into Mopars since I was 14 (Now 66) . Ive built a few cars and am now looking a possibly buying a used Hellcat . What are the things I need to watch out for? Is there already a THREAD in this group with what Im looking for ?

Thanks !
Think the 15's had issues with SC's and DS's.
@BULL
Is that accurate?

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Welcome! There was a good long thread on all the known issues with the Hellcats broken down by year. I cant seem to find it, hope it was on here?

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Some 2016---early 2017's did have bad blower bearings. Aside from that, most of the issues as I recall were fairly minor and taken care of by a recall or TSB for the rest of the model years. Really you can't go wrong with any of these cars. It mostly comes down to the things that are common to any used car. Mileage, maintained properly, little to no modifications done, parked in a garage (most have been), and how the owner treated the car. If you buy a newer model year car you could have the peace of mind that comes with a remaining factory warranty. One big thing would be to have the car scanned to make sure it does not have the P1400 code, which will show that a tune was done and cancelled the warranty. Additionally, proof of an oil change every 6 months is required to keep the warranty.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The blowers have been off again, on again if you ask me, but only a very small percentage.

The 2015's had questionable driveshafts, but only if you were dragracing on a prepped surface.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Oy. Dull shit ster, I am ass ken. How smuch now ander if newz and im pruveved is dis critter?? Damned gudder. Frum da lakes of Chattanooger, snot chatta bugger. Guud luken iffer I smut dayz.

HellcatFan

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Welcome aboard!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
There's a give and take with the model years. 2016 was a good one (was for me) in that the computer system was fairly open, didn't require a double bypass for tuning, and mine accepted flex fuel no problemo.

2018 and up got electric power steering and some other goodies so that probably what I'd look for personally, and I'd definitely get a Redeye for the better engine, bigger blower, and extra 100hp. Narrow bodies are much more reasonably priced and I personally like them better but a wide body will allow fitment of a 315 tire without any "adjustments" depending on what your goals are.

Mine recently got stolen, so you'll want to MAKE SURE the RF Lockout TSB is performed, and I'd also add an additional security system like IGLA, something that can track it like a air tag etc. They're just that easy to steal.

Finally, a lot of people get these cars and have no clue what they're doing, get info from FB, and let any hack of a shop work on them and end up with a ruined car in the end that the offload to the next guy. I'd check Carfax for how often tires were replaced as multiple sets in short order is a likely sign of abuse, several owners in a short period is another red flag, etc. I'd personally want to find one with a known history like from someone here or very well documented, or un-molested bone stock.

My .02 cents.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Buy mine.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
There's a give and take with the model years. 2016 was a good one (was for me) in that the computer system was fairly open, didn't require a double bypass for tuning, and mine accepted flex fuel no problemo.

2018 and up got electric power steering and some other goodies so that probably what I'd look for personally, and I'd definitely get a Redeye for the better engine, bigger blower, and extra 100hp. Narrow bodies are much more reasonably priced and I personally like them better but a wide body will allow fitment of a 315 tire without any "adjustments" depending on what your goals are.

Mine recently got stolen, so you'll want to MAKE SURE the RF Lockout TSB is performed, and I'd also add an additional security system like IGLA, something that can track it like a air tag etc. They're just that easy to steal.

Finally, a lot of people get these cars and have no clue what they're doing, get info from FB, and let any hack of a shop work on them and end up with a ruined car in the end that the offload to the next guy. I'd check Carfax for how often tires were replaced as multiple sets in short order is a likely sign of abuse, several owners in a short period is another red flag, etc. I'd personally want to find one with a known history like from someone here or very well documented, or un-molested bone stock.

My .02 cents.
Ive not heard of tire changes being reported on Carfax. Is that a thing outside of say, the stealership?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Some 2016---early 2017's did have bad blower bearings. Aside from that, most of the issues as I recall were fairly minor and taken care of by a recall or TSB for the rest of the model years. Really you can't go wrong with any of these cars. It mostly comes down to the things that are common to any used car. Mileage, maintained properly, little to no modifications done, parked in a garage (most have been), and how the owner treated the car. If you buy a newer model year car you could have the peace of mind that comes with a remaining factory warranty. One big thing would be to have the car scanned to make sure it does not have the P1400 code, which will show that a tune was done and cancelled the warranty. Additionally, proof of an oil change every 6 months is required to keep the warranty.
Agreed...do your diligence ,,,my guess there are more than one would think of these ultra low mileage HC's around...

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I remember Tim K. saying they have built over 80 thousand Hellcats, IMO there are so many garage queens out there I would search out one of those, even if it is a little more $$$.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I remember Tim K. saying they have built over 80 thousand Hellcats, IMO there are so many garage queens out there I would search out one of those, even if it is a little more $$$.
Like I said...there is a lot of em out there

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
What do you want to do?
Just daily drive and some street fun or take it to take it to the track and race