Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

180 tstat for the Hellcat

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #21
A year a go I read a comment concerning this exact point. This person was exact to the point of why they want this engine to run this tempt. Him or her brought up 6 different points of why this has to run this tempt. Sounded like an engineer to me. But, it made a lot of cents. I have run 180s in Fla for years, do to the fact of the tuning and it runs at a higher tempt. But just to run a 180- 160 tempt was not designed for this engine to run this cool. I wished I had copied that comment, cause I had never heard that reasoning before and to this redneck, it made perfect cents.
My oil temperatures are almost exactly the same with either thermostat(which is the most important thing - right?) doesn't take much hard driving to get it to hit 212+ which I watch and make sure I accomplish pretty regularly - and of course it goes WAY above that at times ;) Like I said I only run a 180 for the warm season and switch the stock one back in for the cold season as it's so easy...so my coolant temps don't vary much through the year even though the outdoor temperature does.

Again I think the main reason they run the 203 from the factory is for emissions. Hot is clean/complete for combustion.

I don't mind being 190-200+ any time, but it's the 210-220+ that I think works against us, and at a mile here with legit outdoor heat...t's just too hot.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Here, there, any where in Florida,, except god awful Tally ass ee do you need to swap your stat. It will run at 170 all the time and fine as wine. Unless you change the timing the factory tempt is set fer a reason. Not my descision but it seems to work and under warranty sit you ations,, it works.
Hickster is right on

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #23
Here, there, any where in Florida,, except god awful Tally ass ee do you need to swap your stat. It will run at 170 all the time and fine as wine. Unless you change the timing the factory tempt is set fer a reason. Not my descision but it seems to work and under warranty sit you ations,, it works.
Do you mean your car runs at 170 coolant temp all the time? With the stock tstat???

Yeah I've read that you don't get full advance on timing with the stock tune unless it's at operating temperature and the coolant system is in open loop...i.e. 203+, but I don't know if that it true. Way back in the day with the 6.1, the car actually made full timing advance below 203 coolant temp, and actually pulled timing at like 205+ which is where it always was with the stock tstat, so everyone ran 180s and definitely ran faster at the track. I know they have improved the stock tunes over the years and also made big advances in relocating the intake air temperature sensor which used to heat soak really bad being right next to the high cast-iron intake manifold causing the car to pull timing too - the intake is now plastic for the 392. For these supercharged 6.2s there is a lot of heat in the top of the motor when you turn the car off...WOW.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Oh, oh, oh, I agree. If I sea the tempt on coolant get past 220 there is a problem and will whip the horse in the ass to find out why. Could be a number of things, but that oil tempt is like busting a too small condom with some one you don't want to see in Costa Rica again. Butster to change the stat do to the fact you want to sea the tempt cooler is a situation maybe not messed wit. Like I mentioned before, If I had not changed the timing I woo snot have changed the ststure. My is justerd fine.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Knock on wood, but I have never thrown a tstat code in any of my SRT Hemis, had 4 over 14 years now and I've run 180 tstats in all of them, but I also swap the stock tstat back in for the winter. Like stated above, I usually swap in April/November. It's so easy with our cars, takes me about 10 minutes. Keeps the coolant pretty close to 200 year round +/-

I think it's primarily for emissions purposes. Yeah they run so hot it looks like it fades and deteriorates the plastic and rubber parts under the hood over time. Makes your garage a million degrees for a few hours after you park it LOL
My ‘06 threw the code before I got the tune to shut it off. I thought yours did also, they were twin Sisters.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh, oh, oh, I agree. If I sea the tempt on coolant get past 220 there is a problem and will whip the horse in the ass to find out why. Could be a number of things, but that oil tempt is like busting a too small condom with some one you don't want to see in Costa Rica again. Butster to change the stat do to the fact you want to sea the tempt cooler is a situation maybe not messed wit. Like I mentioned before, If I had not changed the timing I woo snot have changed the ststure. My is justerd fine.
You would go wild looking at the coolant and oil temperatures I get lapping the beast. Found the weak link on the RE a couple of weeks ago and fried a damn OEM pulley.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Knock on wood, but I have never thrown a tstat code in any of my SRT Hemis, had 4 over 14 years now and I've run 180 tstats in all of them, but I also swap the stock tstat back in for the winter. Like stated above, I usually swap in April/November. It's so easy with our cars, takes me about 10 minutes. Keeps the coolant pretty close to 200 year round +/-

I think it's primarily for emissions purposes. Yeah they run so hot it looks like it fades and deteriorates the plastic and rubber parts under the hood over time. Makes your garage a million degrees for a few hours after you park it LOL
You are correct about the emissions statement.
Every time I bring my car into the garage I always open the hood and turn on the garage AC to 75 degrees. The girls really like it.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
You would go wild looking at the coolant and oil temperatures I get lapping the beast. Found the weak link on the RE a couple of weeks ago and fried a damn OEM pulley.
Which one?

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #29
You are correct about the emissions statement.
Every time I bring my car into the garage I always open the hood and turn on the garage AC to 75 degrees. The girls really like it.
Garage A/C you say? That would be sweet!!!

My ‘06 threw the code before I got the tune to shut it off. I thought yours did also, they were twin Sisters.
They were twins! Well except for the tstat code I guess :)

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
This is the crap that makes me wonder...
Only happens at cold start. IMG_1728.jpg

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Year, make and model.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Year, make and model.
2019 hellcat redeye wide body.
Does this on cold start then settles down.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #33
^^^I don't look at that screen hardly ever, but something definitely does not look right, especially if that's on a cold start, I mean there's no way the coolant is up there right after a cold start.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
My RE does the same exact BS the first time it warms up. Exactly like that. Now, this is interesting. Eric and @Paladin06 are you guys saying your Redeye's don't do that? Because his RE and mine just both upchucked the SC pulley, but neither of yours did.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #35
Just so I understand, so car was driven, shut off, then restarted with a lot of leftover heat in it? Or it says this on a cold start - which has to be an instrument error then - right?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ve never seen 226 degrees at any time. Even on the dead of our 115 degree summers.🥵

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
It takes about ten minutes of driving to hit this temp.
After that it settles down to 200-205
I didn't ever look at the performance pages til I saw my temp jump like this and then started to monitor it
only does it when the car has completely cooled down

Last edited:
OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #38
Oh ok I see. That is not an error, I don't remember our stock tune fan settings, but that's about the top end of normal for our car's coolant temperatures with the stock tstat/tune/fan settings, so you do not have a problem. When you are driving and air is passing through the car, that number should go back below 215 pretty quick, especially in those outdoor temperatures in the 60s.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Oh ok I see. That is not an error, I don't remember our stock tune fan settings, but that's about the top end of normal for our car's coolant temperatures with the stock tstat/tune/fan settings, so you do not have a problem. When you are driving and air is passing through the car, that number should go back below 215 pretty quick, especially in those outdoor temperatures in the 60s.
It drops right down, I will take a pic of that screen some time.
Goes down in a few seconds.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #40
It drops right down, I will take a pic of that screen some time.
Goes down in a few seconds.
Yeah cool. The car may just initially get up there on the first driving cycle before all the cooling fans kick in and keep it from getting back up there unless you are pushing the motor hard.