Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

1971 Hemi-Cuda is Up For Grabs

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Ran into my friend in '76 and he said Santa Monica police forced him to sell car after high speed chase down Pacific Coast hwy. Car was sold to another friend who owned a frame shop in West Los Angeles where it was picked apart in the back lot. Pretty sure the junk man got the rest of it. The car was a legend in West LA in the mid '60's. Some mighty fast cars showed up from all over to try and beat it and didn't.
One of our local boys who worked at Shelby American built a '62 Vette with the help of the Shelby crew. He wanted a piece of that hemi. He showed up at our local burger hangout one night looking to race. He was running big Hillborn stacks running Nitro. Nastiest sounding small block I ever saw. Every ones eyes were watering from the nitro. Race never happened because of too much traffic that night and not enough shut down area. I think maybe the Vette stood a good chance of winning. I'd give anything to go back to those days.
Wouldn't we all

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
It was an auto. DK the rear, but was def a 3 series I'm sure. Didn't snap your neck off. He just put in drive and mashed it. The shaker "shook" (actually just cocked way over) when he hit it and the motor torqued way over. He was like look!, look! that's really attached to the motor! Car was red with white vinyl top, white interior, and black shaker. BTW that '69 Roadrunner with the six pack lift off hood is one of the best looking muscle cars of all time....Period. I'm an ex Chevy guy and even then I thought that body was better looking than the Chevelle's. Funny, I never realized how HUGE that body was until the last couple of years. Back in the day it just seamed like a normal mid sized body. But now when I see them , I see how big that godam thing is!
I had that Hemi in this for 7 years! It was an original 440-6BBL 4speed.
53F09E14-1C4F-4DFF-B7FE-04216B09B9B4.jpeg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It was an auto. DK the rear, but was def a 3 series I'm sure. Didn't snap your neck off. He just put in drive and mashed it. The shaker "shook" (actually just cocked way over) when he hit it and the motor torqued way over. He was like look!, look! that's really attached to the motor! Car was red with white vinyl top, white interior, and black shaker. BTW that '69 Roadrunner with the six pack lift off hood is one of the best looking muscle cars of all time....Period. I'm an ex Chevy guy and even then I thought that body was better looking than the Chevelle's. Funny, I never realized how HUGE that body was until the last couple of years. Back in the day it just seamed like a normal mid sized body. But now when I see them , I see how big that godam thing is!
Midsized body. That's the kicker!

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I had that Hemi in this for 7 years! It was an original 440-6BBL 4speed.
View attachment 48136
The 440-6-pack is just as bad as the 426 on the street. easier to run and manage. and keep tuned sharp.The Hemi was eye candy.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
The early street hemis were dogs. Never impressed me and I owned 2 of them. Stage 111 Max Wedge was much more fun and fast as hell. Early GTO's with a 455 dropped in were killers. Had 2 of them.
1968 1/2 Ram Air II Firebirds were the kings on the strip (despite only 400 cubes). The problem is...only 110 made!

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
1968 1/2 Ram Air II Firebirds were the kings on the strip (despite only 400 cubes). The problem is...only 110 made!
My next door neighbor had one and I wasn't impressed. And I love Pontiacs. He couldn't stay with my '66 GTO 455.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Kings you say:unsure::unsure:...and I thought I was funny..;)

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I would take Jimmy Addisons 67 GTX that yours truly “Mr Tom Hover“ applied mods to. He would go to Addison’s Sunoco gas station on Woodward ave after leaving work from the engineering dept at Highland Park and then apply his new ideas and parts to the factory backed test mule that ruled Woodward Ave at night. Mid 10s back in late 60s early 70s was just plain nuts. The goal was to make the car appear reasonably stock & through mufflers. It is said that nothing won against 67 GTX.
AKA. The silver Bullet.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I would take Jimmy Addisons 67 GTX that yours truly “Mr Tom Hover“ applied mods to. He would go to Addison’s Sunoco gas station on Woodward ave after leaving work from the engineering dept at Highland Park and then apply his new ideas and parts to the factory backed test mule that ruled Woodward Ave at night. Mid 10s back in late 60s early 70s was just plain nuts. The goal was to make the car appear reasonably stock & through mufflers. It is said that nothing won against 67 GTX.
AKA. The silver Bullet.
Now that's fast...that had to be something...

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
The car still exists, and it makes the rounds on display at race tracks and car events.The new owner finally stopped racing it, because of the nostalgic history. But now races a second car cloned identically.

A few good articles are out there regarding the car. Not sure on the links, but search (Jimmy Addison and the Silver Bullet)
(GTX Silver Bullet), and your sure to pull up something.

Artists rendition below of the Silver Bullet, it’s first car on left in front of the Sunoco Garage on Woodward Ave where Tom Hover and Jimmy Addison massaged the car with factory race parts and Hovers voodoo magic ( actual term used in sales for Hemis, ”it’s got to be voodo baby” If you notice there is a Black Fire Bird next to the Bullet. It is said that was the arch rival of Addison‘s ride, also factory backed Pontiac but didn‘t beat the Bullet. Others say it did once.

Now what car would I want more if price were no object a pristine 71 Hemi `Cuda or the Bullet GTX. X Should be for experimental factory covertly backed race car by the Hemi god himself leaking parts and talent to rule the roost of Woodward.
Answer is simple. The bullet as there was only one. And if money were no object I would hunt down another Hemi `Cuda not that they are in abundance either.
92C18003-9A87-4264-94D3-CE00E7BEC180.png

Last edited:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Kings you say:unsure::unsure:...and I thought I was funny..;)
Look it up (pure stock drags in 80s and up through 2000s). Ra2 birds were super underrated and incredibly fast...but yeah no one heard of them either..problem with being under the radar i suppose

(just one example)...many more online...
comments below are revealing too...
oh and my RA II was rated during my rebuild. 430hp....no shenanigans...no porting just blueprinted...so like the SS, hp factory rating was a joke...

they normally run in mid 12s....other pure stock drags....

and I said kings, not intergalactic viceroys...so I'm leaving some room for you (and your side-splitting comedic routine) to explore... ;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Look it up (pure stock drags in 80s and up through 2000s). Ra2 birds were super underrated and incredibly fast...but yeah no one heard of them either..problem with being under the radar i suppose

(just one example)...many more online...
comments below are revealing too...
oh and my RA II was rated during my rebuild. 430hp....no shenanigans...no porting just blueprinted...so like the SS, hp factory rating was a joke...

they normally run in mid 12s....other pure stock drags....

and I said kings, not intergalactic viceroys...so I'm leaving some room for you (and your side-splitting comedic routine) to explore... ;)
Stock 68 ram air 2 (normally running mid 12's...)you say:unsure::unsure::unsure: ....maybe in a Galaxy far far away..with unheard of DA..and magical gravity...but alas..how could I take issue with an internet video...look..they ran good..(but normally not that good...)...but if yer bettin the farm on internet videos...you just might wanna keep that bridge you were tryin to sell me a while back...;););)

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Stock 68 ram air 2 (normally running mid 12's...)you say:unsure::unsure::unsure: ....maybe in a Galaxy far far away..with unheard of DA..and magical gravity...but alas..how could I take issue with an internet video...look..they ran good..(but normally not that good...)...but if yer bettin the farm on internet videos...you just might wanna keep that bridge you were tryin to sell me a while back...;););)
I get that u love being contrarian whenever possible but not sure what to tell u here. I owned one for 15 years and it wasnt just a little quick it was a beast. and yes i personally ran in the high 12s on my car at sea level in florida during the winter at Moroso (113 trap speed). the engine was balanced and blueprinted but otherwise not mechanically modified from stock in any way. ra2s get very little respect because they are unicorns even to most pontiac guys. you can beleive what you like, i got no problem with that, but ill defer from a cat and mouse game with u on this one. I know what these special cars can do first hand. very few others do. as for the pure stock drags. its an annual thing not "random internet videos". if you actually take some time to look up that drag series u will see that the ra2 was consistently in the top 10% of all cars running in that series year in year out. racing the likes of hemi mopars, ls6 chevells, stage 1/2 buikcs, even l88 vettes and holding its own.

sorry if that doesnt fit your narrative but it is what it is.

ps and so u know im not a complete pontiac homer, i also owned a 69 ra 4 ta which was supposed to be (on paper) faster than the ra 2. it wasnt. the 2 had much better/less complicated flowing ram air/intake set up and the 68s were lighter than the 69s (and possibly a bit better aerodynamically). both were extremely potent but the ra2 was the all time fastest stock pontiac. if pontiac survived past 2009 that would have changed im sure but unfortunately, thanks to out of control banks, that never happened.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I get that u love being contrarian wheverever possible but not sure what to tell u here. I owned one for 15 years and it wasnt just a little quick it was a beast. and yes i personally ran in the high 12s on my car at sea level in florida during the winter at Moroso (113 trap speed). the car wasnt modified. ra2s get very little respect because they are unicorns even to most pontiac guys. you can beleive what you like, i got no problem with that, but ill defer from a cat and mouse game with u on this one. I know what these special cars can do first hand. very few others do. as for the pure stock drags. its an annual thing not "random internet videos". if you actually take some time to look up that drag series u will see that the ra2 was consistently in the top 10% of all cars running in that series year in year out. racing the likes of hemi mopars, ls6 chevells, stage 1/2 buikcs, even l88 vettes and holding its own.

ps and so u know im not a complete pontiac homer, i also owned a 69 ra 4 ta which was supposed to be (on paper) faster than the ra 2. it wasnt. the 2 had much better/less complicated flowing ram air/intake set up and the 68s were lighter than the 69s (and possibly a bit better aerodynamically). both were extremely potent but the ra2 was the all time fastest stock pontiac. if pontiac survived past 2009 that would have changed im sure but unfortunately, thanks to out of control banks, that never happened.
Was it faster than a 455SD TA? I can believe it went high 12’s but probably not with bias ply street tires, through the mufflers and stock exhaust manifolds? I would also say if it went 113mph pure stock, it was not stock! That old Rochester carburetor was sure working good! Stock Hemi’s and 440-6’s only went 105-106mph with multiple carbs. The 3rd fastest magazine road test of all time for classic muscle cars behind the Shelby Cobra and L-88 Vette was a 69 440-6 RoadRunner running 12.91@111mph...with Ronnie Sox driving and factory engineers tuning the car! The 1320 Challengers are only going 114 or so. Here’s an interesting article from Muscle Car Review in the mid-80’s. Had a full roll cage. Obviously a balanced and blueprinted race car probably with a cam and tricked out carb and ignition. He was claiming stock and running mid 12’s. Got classified as an outlaw. 7C84B89B-7E07-494C-8FFE-84327A50B438.jpeg 3D25D94F-CDAA-4712-8FB6-B86F76338043.jpeg

Last edited:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Was it faster than a 455SD TA?
Indeed it was. Likely due to it being lighter. I owned a 1973 SD455 formula (lighter than a TA but still bulkier than a 68 bird). The RA 2 was faster in the 1/4. Best I ever did was ~13.5-6 in the SD455

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
My cousin Vinny is asking another question, do the laws of physics cease to exist in your internal combustion engine

slight edit, I was joking with the Vinny question, I do realize the bird was A formidable opponent, yes the RA2 Was rare and not well known.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Indeed it was. Likely due to it being lighter. I owned a 1973 SD455 formula (lighter than a TA but still bulkier than a 68 bird). The RA 2 was faster in the 1/4. Best I ever did was ~13.5-6 in the SD455
I edited my post a little with more info. I had a 96,000 mile 68 Firebird 400 convertible. It was not a ram air car but was actually surprisingly quick. Ran a 9.06 in the 1/8th with 7.75x14’s tires on it and just had a 3.09 single track rear! I’m sure it would have run 14 flat or high 13’s in the 1/4. The 68 RAII is not high on the list of the fastest magazine road test cars but I believe it was a pretty hot street machine.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
the 455 HD and the 455 SD were making unreal power literally. They were putting out more power than they claimed. Gm was taking Dyno reads at a lower RPM. They were also the only American muscle car still making decent power after 71. All other Detroit iron pulled the plug with compression, timing, cam, and the likes. The problem with those Trans Am’s were traction, just like our rides. Plus the tire technology sucked on the factory tires.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
the 455 HD and the 455 SD were making unreal power literally. They were putting out more power than they claimed. Gm was taking Dyno reads at a lower RPM. They were also the only American muscle car still making decent power after 71. All other Detroit iron pulled the plug with compression, timing, cam, and the likes. The problem with those Trans Am’s were traction, just like our rides. Plus the tire technology sucked on the factory tires.
How did they pass emissions after ‘71?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I get that u love being contrarian whenever possible but not sure what to tell u here. I owned one for 15 years and it wasnt just a little quick it was a beast. and yes i personally ran in the high 12s on my car at sea level in florida during the winter at Moroso (113 trap speed). the engine was balanced and blueprinted but otherwise not mechanically modified from stock in any way. ra2s get very little respect because they are unicorns even to most pontiac guys. you can beleive what you like, i got no problem with that, but ill defer from a cat and mouse game with u on this one. I know what these special cars can do first hand. very few others do. as for the pure stock drags. its an annual thing not "random internet videos". if you actually take some time to look up that drag series u will see that the ra2 was consistently in the top 10% of all cars running in that series year in year out. racing the likes of hemi mopars, ls6 chevells, stage 1/2 buikcs, even l88 vettes and holding its own.

I get your confusion between normal skepticism and a contrarian thought process..that's not the issue here...we are trending in the right direction..were now up to high 12's..(still admirable)...My drag race experience though brief..1970 to 74..saw me campaign a 340 Demon in pure stock ..to SS IA..to bracket racing..eventually running mid 11's..(no longer really streetable at that point)...one thing I learned early on..for the most part..those that proclaimed the most about stock configurations...were the biggest cheaters...and @ the track..a lot of guys cheat...so let's say we settle on high 12's..low 13's...and cross back over your bridge..get back to yer corner...ya lost the first two rounds..:giggle::giggle: