Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2015-2018 Hellcats Or 2019 And Up...THAT Big Of A Difference? Worth it?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Plymouth
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Was out in my 'Cat yesterday and a guy came up to me and was checking out the car and was asking some questions about it and Hellcat things in general. He asked what year is mine (2015) and if I thought it was better to look for a 2019 or newer Hellcat (not a Redeye) due to the improvements (electric power steering, Power Chiller, better Uconnect, more horsepower, improved blower etc.) I asked what he intended to use the car for and he said weekend driving and the occasional day at the track. Said he might pulley and tune also. Told him it was a tough question as I have an early version and I was very pleased with it but don't have experience with the '19 and up cars. I did say regardless of year try to find a one owner car that has been cared for and avoid multiple owner and accident cars for obvious reasons.

Just curious what people that have experience with both variants of the standard Hellcat think about this.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
19 newer hellcat or any year hellcat doesnt have a power chiller. The 16s seems to have a more aggressive tune then the newer ones. Only thing that comes to mind is some of the early superchargers, some have had issues and the 18 and later ones have the 3 bar map sensors the earlier cars have to change to if making more boost, 17ish. Depending on asking price of the car you should be able to buy an earlier one for less money and to me that is worth it in the savings

OP
Hellride 6.2 HO
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plymouth
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I meant After-Run Chiller. Not Power Chiller. My bad.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I meant After-Run Chiller. Not Power Chiller. My bad.
What ever they call it no Hellcats have it. Only Demon/Redeye

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The electric power steering is pretty nice.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Yes 2018+ is way better 2015-17 are horrible antique garbage not worth stealing make sure they know that

OP
Hellride 6.2 HO
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plymouth
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
What ever they call it no Hellcats have it. Only Demon/Redeye
Interesting. They actually show it as standard equipment on the Monroney for the ‘19 and up Hellcats as standard equipment. IMG_2414.png IMG_2418.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Interesting. They actually show it as standard equipment on the Monroney for the ‘19 and up Hellcats as standard equipment. View attachment 131427 View attachment 131428
So that is different then the inter chiller deal. It just runs the fan and intercooler pump to circulate the coolant. I have a Burnbox on my car and can do that. The 19 and newer also have the line lock which the Burnbox will activate that also

OP
Hellride 6.2 HO
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plymouth
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
So to your point there is nothing wrong whatsoever in an earlier 'Cat especially if the price is right. My thought exactly when I purchased mine. Just interested in feedback about comparing the '19 and up with the earlier cars after talking to that guy.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I only own the antique model, so I cannot directly compare, but I will tell you the only newer models that even mildly raise my neck hairs in interest are the Redeye and Demons. Hellcat, schmellcat.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So to your point there is nothing wrong whatsoever in an earlier 'Cat especially if the price is right. My thought exactly when I purchased mine. Just interested in feedback about comparing the '19 and up with the earlier cars after talking to that guy.
People like the person that talked to you probably read something and has created in his mind the later cars are better. I know very little about what changes they have made to camaros in the last years and if I saw a story in car and driver for instance they may talk about a change to a part that in previous years rarely if ever failed so does it really matter? There are some minor things that have but not enough to have to spend 10k or more for a newer one. I have zero regrets about buying a '16

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
The UConnect on the earlier models sucks. I know people have upgraded them but looks like a bit of a PITA. Apple Car Play is a nice upgrade over a 15-16.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The UConnect on the earlier models sucks. I know people have upgraded them but looks like a bit of a PITA. Apple Car Play is a nice upgrade over a 15-16.
Not sure when the apple came out. I have a 16 and 18 now and had a 17 and to me they are all about the same. What make the apple better?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
For the price (value purchase) buy a pre-2019 and tune it etc.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
They added more security features in the 22's and up
Internal motion sensors and some other upgrades, not sure what they all are but I'm sure a quick googlie search can answer that.

OP
Hellride 6.2 HO
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plymouth
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
I've heard that about the newer systems. I can say that also loading Performance pages takes forever. No experience with Apple Car Play. What's the story with it?

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Insane thought of the day----

Next year there will be 10 year old Hellcats driving around. Just crazy to think that these cars are that old already! Seems like just yesterday I was watching that Jay Leno video where Tim K announced that pricing on the new Hellcat Challenger would start at $59,900. I remember thinking I would never be able to afford such an expensive car like that. Now here, 10 years later I see V-6 Challengers for $50k.

OP
Hellride 6.2 HO
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plymouth
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
Insane thought of the day----

Next year there will be 10 year old Hellcats driving around. Just crazy to think that these cars are that old already! Seems like just yesterday I was watching that Jay Leno video where Tim K announced that pricing on the new Hellcat Challenger would start at $59,900. I remember thinking I would never be able to afford such an expensive car like that. Now here, 10 years later I see V-6 Challengers for $50k.
My ‘15 stickered at $66,370. For S and G’s I priced my car on the Dodge build and price for the ‘23’s. Over $91,000.
Ridiculous

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My ‘15 stickered at $66,370. For S and G’s I priced my car on the Dodge build and price for the ‘23’s. Over $91,000.
Ridiculous
Nearly 40% price increase. Really hard to buy a newer hellcat to get the same thing. Most Hellcats are on the lower mile side anyway if looking to buy used. My '16 was bought in '20 with 7k miles

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Nearly 40% price increase. Really hard to buy a newer hellcat to get the same thing. Most Hellcats are on the lower mile side anyway if looking to buy used. My '16 was bought in '20 with 7k miles
Most around here are selling for 65 ish higher miles & 75 ish low miles
If you can find 1
Not sure what they are selling for in the US ???

Prices seem to have dropped over the past 6 months