Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Chevrolet Corvette quarter mile times so far.

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8
New to the forum so hello to all. I'm a Hellcat guy through and through but i'm just curious what people think about the new C8 Corvette regarding quarter mile times. I know there is not much out there as of yet but a few guys have taken their cars to the track. At TX2K last weekend, a stock Corvette ran a best pass of 12.08 at 119 mph in 2000 DA. I wasn't really impressed with that considering my nearly stock tuned 2017 392 Scat Pack Charger ran 12.09 at 116 mph on a drag radial in the same DA. Btw, that same Corvette left the track on flatbed wrecker with a blown transmission. Gotta love those DCT's for drag racing-NOT! Stangmode in his new GT500 picked on another newbie C8 Corvette owner and wiped the floor with him. That stock Corvette in -100 DA ran a 11.50's at 120+. I'm not really impressed with that time either considering B Mason's nearly stock tuned SRT Challenger on a drag radial ran low 11.60's at 118 mph in the same DA. Lets not forget that both those cars weigh at least 700 pounds more than the new Vette. Peitz Performance here in Houston just dyno'd a new stock Vette and it only made 420 hp on a Mustang dyno. They put a drag pack setup on the car with a drag radial and sprayed it with a 100 shot of nitrous and it went 10.70 at 128 mph in +1500 DA. That's a bit better but i don't know that i'm much impressed with that either considering my nearly stock Hellcat with a 3.09 diff on a drag radial (not a drag pack) with a B Mason PCM & TCM tune ran low 10.60's at 130+ mph in the same DA at full weight. My car weighed 4400 lbs without me in it and that's at least 900 pounds heavier than a new Vette. I don't know, maybe i just had higher expectations but so far this car has left me a bit lacking in performance. I think it's a good looking car and it seems well suited for a road course and maybe that's where it will find the most success. Just my 2cents but let me know what you guys think. Hellman out!!!

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Cool story about a comparison of a base model Corvette with 490hp to cars that have a 200-300hp advantage.

There's a base model C8 out there right now with drag radials only that ran a 10.9 and the car has only been out a few weeks at the most. If you're not impressed with the base model C8, the Z06 and ZR1 is going to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I did not buy my C8 to bring it to the drag strip. That is what my cat is for.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
It's way too early for this. The cars were just delivered a couple of weeks ago at best and haven't had nearly enough time to be properly broken in. Let's just wait until next fall for better weather and time for the cars to get a few thousand miles worth of break in time.

OP
hellman

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Hey Blkout, I get it. Honestly i really think it compares more to the Scat Pack Challenger if you just look at the numbers. Lots of NA 6.4 Challengers are running mid 11's on a tire in decent DA. Didn't really want to compare it to a Hellcat unless the Vette had nitrous or supercharger which is why i mentioned the example above. These were just observations. I guess I was thinking maybe it might run low low 11's in good DA right out of the box considering its weight and power. Super cool car though!!! Congrats to the dude with both. That's what i'm talking about!!!!

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I did not buy my C8 to bring it to the drag strip. That is what my cat is for.
Well said and if you listen to my Youtube video GT500 I talk exactly about this:

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hey Blkout, I get it. Honestly i really think it compares more to the Scat Pack Challenger if you just look at the numbers. Lots of NA 6.4 Challengers are running mid 11's on a tire in decent DA. Didn't really want to compare it to a Hellcat unless the Vette had nitrous or supercharger which is why i mentioned the example above. These were just observations. I guess I was thinking maybe it might run low low 11's in good DA right out of the box considering its weight and power. Super cool car though!!! Congrats to the dude with both. That's what i'm talking about!!!!
It's still new, give it time.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
if the base model runs well against shelbys on a track and is neck and neck with a scat on drag radials that's very impressive for 60k base price, the z06 will probably be better and the zr1 even better.

One thing that's not being accounted for is that yes it's mid engine but it's still rwd for the track, awd would absolutely smoke drag oriented cars on the strip with awd

It will be interesting to see what FCA does for the new gen hellcats, I would like to see smaller displacement to save that gas guzzler tax, twin turbo or supercharger, lose about 400-700 lbs, and possibly the introduction of rwd based awd platform. That would be game changing again imo, manufacturers are catching up to the hellcats now, time for something new.

OP
hellman

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Hey 2pac, I do think the new Vette is going to be a beast on the road course. Have already seen one running with Audi R8 V10's and Mclaren 570's and he was right there with them. I like where your head is at regarding a new gen Hellcat being 400-500 lbs lighter. Even at the same hp level, that car would be a beast!!! If they made that in awd, look out!!!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Very cool car! Almost futuristic! It’s just a completely different type of car than a Hellcat. In any case, even though I admire it and I have always liked Vettes, it doesn’t fit me. It really doesn’t matter how fast it is, I am more than satisfied with my lowly Charger! On the other hand, I would not turn down a 1967 L88 Stingray...even though it’s not that fast!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
New to the forum so hello to all. I'm a Hellcat guy through and through but i'm just curious what people think about the new C8 Corvette regarding quarter mile times. I know there is not much out there as of yet but a few guys have taken their cars to the track. At TX2K last weekend, a stock Corvette ran a best pass of 12.08 at 119 mph in 2000 DA. I wasn't really impressed with that considering my nearly stock tuned 2017 392 Scat Pack Charger ran 12.09 at 116 mph on a drag radial in the same DA. Btw, that same Corvette left the track on flatbed wrecker with a blown transmission. Gotta love those DCT's for drag racing-NOT! Stangmode in his new GT500 picked on another newbie C8 Corvette owner and wiped the floor with him. That stock Corvette in -100 DA ran a 11.50's at 120+. I'm not really impressed with that time either considering B Mason's nearly stock tuned SRT Challenger on a drag radial ran low 11.60's at 118 mph in the same DA. Lets not forget that both those cars weigh at least 700 pounds more than the new Vette. Peitz Performance here in Houston just dyno'd a new stock Vette and it only made 420 hp on a Mustang dyno. They put a drag pack setup on the car with a drag radial and sprayed it with a 100 shot of nitrous and it went 10.70 at 128 mph in +1500 DA. That's a bit better but i don't know that i'm much impressed with that either considering my nearly stock Hellcat with a 3.09 diff on a drag radial (not a drag pack) with a B Mason PCM & TCM tune ran low 10.60's at 130+ mph in the same DA at full weight. My car weighed 4400 lbs without me in it and that's at least 900 pounds heavier than a new Vette. I don't know, maybe i just had higher expectations but so far this car has left me a bit lacking in performance. I think it's a good looking car and it seems well suited for a road course and maybe that's where it will find the most success. Just my 2cents but let me know what you guys think. Hellman out!!!
Dude, you make mayonaise?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Hey Hellman , welcome to HF , nice observations on the C8 , it's a nice car though.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Cool story about a comparison of a base model Corvette with 490hp to cars that have a 200-300hp advantage.

There's a base model C8 out there right now with drag radials only that ran a 10.9 and the car has only been out a few weeks at the most. If you're not impressed with the base model C8, the Z06 and ZR1 is going to hurt your feelings.
Geez...my C8 hasn't left my garage yet...(it will never see the track)..it looks stunning..and ride quality and comfort is amazing..the car works for me

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Wheels are too small, but my cousin said the same thing. Cousin was wrong.,, of horse.