Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

3.8 whipple

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have had no issues with my gen 5. Would have to check miles but guessing 7k. I have fi spacers under mine which they say not to do. My front mounting point isn't connected because of spacers and I run black belts not green and no additional belt tensioner. Is one of theses things protecting mine so it hasn't broke or just lucky, dont know

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll give it to them they are steadily trying to get it right. They have been working with me since July 2022 and going on 7 blowers currently. They are trying to get them right. Most other companies would have thrown in the towel by now.
Agree. Some of the Gen 6’s didn’t even make it thru the initial dyno pulls before damage. On the other hand… the first billet version I had is still making huge power after 20 passes on the track plus dyno time. Whipple is busting ass trying to get it right. It’s not like so what. That being said…. Dealing with this is not what I signed up for. One of the factors for me going to turbos. I’ll let the shop work with Whipple. The most recent 3.8’s weren’t happy with a pulley smaller than the 3.5” (with +10 at the crank). Only seeing a little over 20 lbs with that on the latest 3,8 so not making anywhere near the hp we saw with that unicorn billet one I had. I don’t know anything about a “Gen 7”. I haven’t been inquiring since I went to the dark side. I only care about turbos now 😎

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Agree. Some of the Gen 6’s didn’t even make it thru the initial dyno pulls before damage. On the other hand… the first billet version I had is still making huge power after 20 passes on the track plus dyno time. Whipple is busting ass trying to get it right. It’s not like so what. That being said…. Dealing with this is not what I signed up for. One of the factors for me going to turbos. I’ll let the shop work with Whipple. The most recent 3.8’s weren’t happy with a pulley smaller than the 3.5” (with +10 at the crank). Only seeing a little over 20 lbs with that on the latest 3,8 so not making anywhere near the hp we saw with that unicorn billet one I had. I don’t know anything about a “Gen 7”. I haven’t been inquiring since I went to the dark side. I only care about turbos now 😎
I am getting to that point. Except the investment to go turbos costs more than a fully built engine does. I could buy a spare 3.8 and still have way less invested than a turbo kit that will compare to it. that's my biggest hold up.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I am getting to that point. Except the investment to go turbos costs more than a fully built engine does. I could buy a spare 3.8 and still have way less invested than a turbo kit that will compare to it. that's my biggest hold up.
Yep. That’s right. The deciding factor for me was a friend offering me a TT setup at a price I couldn’t refuse. For many the answer may be the Hellion type package if those turn out to make 3.8 level power with one and done reliability. I think just now we’re starting to see that happen. Didn’t Chris Bailey install a package TT setup on his Demon? I saw he just ran 7.8 at 180 mph in Texas.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yep. That’s right. The deciding factor for me was a friend offering me a TT setup at a price I couldn’t refuse. For many the answer may be the Hellion type package if those turn out to make 3.8 level power with one and done reliability. I think just now we’re starting to see that happen. Didn’t Chris Bailey install a package TT setup on his Demon? I saw he just ran 7.8 at 180 mph in Texas.
Yes that's the kit I was looking at. Problem is that's still a 20K kit by itself. Then getting the Proper ECU upgrades to control boost ramp. Converter selection to maintain the stock 8speed transmission. its a very large investment to make the switch. other than just spending $6500 to put a Whipple on it. For the little guys like me with no shop affiliation and doing all the labor in my house garage that's a lot.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Yes that's the kit I was looking at. Problem is that's still a 20K kit by itself. Then getting the Proper ECU upgrades to control boost ramp. Converter selection to maintain the stock 8speed transmission. its a very large investment to make the switch. other than just spending $6500 to put a Whipple on it. For the little guys like me with no shop affiliation and doing all the labor in my house garage that's a lot.
That Holley EFI piggyback is almost out. At least that won’t require rewiring the whole car. I believe it’s going to be around $2500. But… yes. Tons of money 😕

Last edited:

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That Holley EFI piggyback is almost out. At least that won’t require rewiring the whole car. I believe it’s going to be around $2500. But… yes. Tons of money 😕
yup looking at that as an addon even with the Whipple. There are a ton of great features of it that will be great even with the blower.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
One of the discussions I had with “somebody” was about putting the 3.0 IHI to the test. It’s more money thru DC than the Whipple but if it makes good power and is one and done then that might be something to consider. The performance with the 170 is promising so who knows.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
One of the discussions I had with “somebody” was about putting the 3.0 IHI to the test. It’s more money thru DC than the Whipple but if it makes good power and is one and done then that might be something to consider. The performance with the 170 is promising so who knows.
For those running the 3.0 that is definitely a solid option. it is not nearly as efficient and wont make the power of the Whipple but if it holds up and is reliable that's what most people will sacrifice some ET for. The IHI3.0 is not even in the same league as the 3.8 though. The power it makes over the 3.0 is absolutely insane.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #70
My billet 3.8 was making noise still made great power tool off lid rotors were ate up.

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Curious as to how the 3.8 whipples ended up working out for everyone? In the process of doing a 426 build and was thinking of going with the Gen 6 Whipple 3.8.
Rattles like a bitch at idle, but when pulling the lid and looking at the rotors they look ok so Whipples response currently is it's working as designed, is designed as a race blower with no care to NVH so the idle rattle is normal and to send it. Not super happy about it and I also wish I went twin turbo but I'll keep my eye on it and see.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Can u post a video of what that sounds like? I have not heard any rattle at idle with mine yet. Has it been rattling the whole time or after uve made some hard pulls?

I have not hit the street with it to make any hard pulls its still too cold out. I considered the TT route myself but wanting to make BIG power requires at least a 3800-4000 stall and thats what I have on my Turbo Mustang and it just doesnt hit like the Whipple not even close. Peak power is there but that 3.8 comes on like a light switch its sick!

It will do this to Twin Turbo cars so dont count it out yet lol.....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SXGKlz3g6z8

Rattles like a bitch at idle, but when pulling the lid and looking at the rotors they look ok so Whipples response currently is it's working as designed, is designed as a race blower with no care to NVH so the idle rattle is normal and to send it. Not super happy about it and I also wish I went twin turbo but I'll keep my eye on it and see.

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Can u post a video of what that sounds like? I have not heard any rattle at idle with mine yet. Has it been rattling the whole time or after uve made some hard pulls?

I have not hit the street with it to make any hard pulls its still too cold out. I considered the TT route myself but wanting to make BIG power requires at least a 3800-4000 stall and thats what I have on my Turbo Mustang and it just doesnt hit like the Whipple not even close. Peak power is there but that 3.8 comes on like a light switch its sick!

It will do this to Twin Turbo cars so dont count it out yet lol.....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SXGKlz3g6z8

That's a real quick video of it rattling right out of the box, before the car was even driven. It sounds worse now, I would take another video of it but the car is across the country at my friends shop for a TH400.

The blower hits hard, and I like it. Aside from the rattling, it's just annoying. Having people at the track ask me what's wrong with the car or yelling at you to shut it off because they think there's a catastrophic failure is also annoying, lol.

Whipple does seem to be trying to resolve the rattling issues and assured me if the blower ended up damaged in any way it would be warrantied so I'm not super concerned about it. As long as nothing goes that wipes out the engine anyway.

EDIT: I lied. Here's another video of it at the track after a guy in the pits next to me told me to "SHUT IT DOWN, SOMETHINGS WRONG!"

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Jesus H Christ that's bad.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Check the rotors. Two easy ways to do that. Pull the lid to see the rear or pull the throttle body to check the front (easiest). The original billet version in the first picture. It’s got 30 passes plus dyno time on it now and makes a ton of power. Over 1400whp at 3000’ elevation thru a T400. It’s still in perfect condition. The second picture is thru the front of another that started eating itself. We’ve found that they don’t like rpm. Anything smaller than a 3.50 pulley is a problem. Stay tuned. It’s a saga. 😂 IMG_0317.jpeg IMG_4982.jpeg

Last edited:

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Check the rotors. Two easy ways to do that. Pull the lid to see the rear and pull the throttle body to check the front. The original billet version in the first picture. It’s got 30 passes plus dyno time on it now and makes a ton of power. Over 1400whp at 3000’ elevation thru a T400. It’s still in perfect condition. The second picture is thru the front of another that started eating itself. We’ve found that they don’t like rpm. Anything smaller than a 3.50 pulley is a problem. Stay tuned. It’s a saga. 😂 View attachment 132919 View attachment 132920
When you say anything smaller then a 3.50 pulley causes issues, is that with a 10% lower or with the stock diameter lower?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow that sounds like its gonna go BOOM really soon. I have never had that sound but I as well have the original drag pack with billet rotors but Mark says they break to with enough RPM as well. I bought brand new from Whipple so I guess if it fails they will warranty it.

It does hit so freaking hard its insane! Turbo's just aint hitting that hard no freaking way! I have two blower cars and two Turbo cars the blower is just superior on the street in every way imo.

Especially with a big ole heavy car like the Hellcat and especially the Trackhawk...... The blower just gets out quicker thats fact.

That's a real quick video of it rattling right out of the box, before the car was even driven. It sounds worse now, I would take another video of it but the car is across the country at my friends shop for a TH400.

The blower hits hard, and I like it. Aside from the rattling, it's just annoying. Having people at the track ask me what's wrong with the car or yelling at you to shut it off because they think there's a catastrophic failure is also annoying, lol.

Whipple does seem to be trying to resolve the rattling issues and assured me if the blower ended up damaged in any way it would be warrantied so I'm not super concerned about it. As long as nothing goes that wipes out the engine anyway.

EDIT: I lied. Here's another video of it at the track after a guy in the pits next to me told me to "SHUT IT DOWN, SOMETHINGS WRONG!"

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here is my 3.8 at idle....

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
When you say anything smaller then a 3.50 pulley causes issues, is that with a 10% lower or with the stock diameter lower?
Yes. We only use the +10 balancers.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Best and easiest way is to just pop the throttle body off and look at the rotors. If they have touched, open a case with Whipple they will take care of you.