Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4.5L Whipple 'Murder Cat'

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Currently in the process of finishing tuning on my Hellcat project. Been quite a process over the past year, motivated to see it complete now before winter hits again up north!

Huge thanks to 'Whip Cat' - 'SRT Stinkeye' and other whipple owners who've done a lot of R&D over the past few years.

Loving the car so far after about 1500 miles of seat time data logging. Night and day difference vs. Stock. First 60-130 hit was like a roller coaster :D
Car will have a flex 93/E85 map on the 5" pulley and one on E85 only with the 4.5". Dyno results will be posted once finished.

Mods:

Engine:
Stock 6.2L/Heads (For this season, plan to upgrade to a 426)
4.5L Whipple Supercharger
Killer Chiller Race Drag System
Coolant Expansion Tank
Fore Innovations Dual Pump Fuel System w/Rails
FIC 1650cc PnP injectors
Magnaflow Catback
180 Degree Thermostat
ER12S Spark Plugs
Demon Crank Bolt+Double Pinned
Dusterhoff tuning with HP Tuner Software

Brakes/Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Drivetrain:
DSS 3.8" Carbon Driveshaft
DSS 1400HP Axles
Per4mance DIRS Brace
Bwoody Rear End Links
Z26 Powerstop Pads
17x10 18x5 Beadlock Drag Pack
MT ET Street R 305/45/17 28x6x18 Sportsman Runners
Titanium Lug nuts

Exterior & Interior:
SRT Performance Spoiler
Speedtactics Fire Extinguisher kit
InShot_20200829_145619921.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Currently in the process of finishing tuning on my Hellcat project. Been quite a process over the past year, motivated to see it complete now before winter hits again up north!

Big thanks to Josh and Curt @ Dusterhoff Tuning for helping guide the build in the right direction. Also huge thanks to 'Whip Cat' - 'SRT Stinkeye' and other whipple owners who've done a lot of R&D over the past few years.

Loving the car so far after about 1500 miles of seat time data logging. Night and day difference vs. Stock. First 60-130 hit was like a roller coaster :D
Car will have a flex 93/E85 map on the 5" pulley @ 16psi and one on E85 only with the 4.5" @21psi. Dyno results will be posted once finished.

Mods:

Engine:
FIC 1650cc PnP injectors
Magnaflow Catback
180 Degree Thermostat
ER12S Spark Plugs

DSS 1400HP Axles
Per4mance DIRS Brace
Per4mance Race Brace
Bwoody Rear End Links
Z26 Powerstop Pads

Exterior & Interior:
SRT Performance Spoiler
View attachment 23421
Bad A**!!!!!!!!!!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Whip that Cat!! 😝

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Bad ass Hellcat. First post was 7 hours ago and no one has welcomed you to the forum? WTF?
Let me be the first, then. Welcome to the forum!

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Sweet set up!👍

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Waiting for results, looks like a monster!

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Awesome ride! Welcome to the forum!

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Looks awesome. Enjoy the power.

do yourself a big favor. Do not run the 4.5” pulley until you get the 426 built motor. save your engine man. if you do break that rule. Only run it at the track, don’t street it on that boost with stock rods and pistons.

any questions hit me up.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Listen to WhipCat ! Don’t boost that thing on the stock rods. You will have a very enjoyable ride at the lower level and when you’re ready to go rocket ship build the motor to take it. At that time... the Gearhead plenum spacer is a must. The only other thing is tires and suspension at the rear when you boost it. What you got ain’t enough. You spend a lot of money to make huge power.., you gotta spend some to use it. Whipple power isn’t like other power. You need tires. Don’t be afraid to go the 15” route. A 275 Radial Pro with a 2.62 gear or a 315 with the 3.09 on 15x10” beadlocks.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
When it’s time to build that 426ci beef that bad boy up to handle some Serious HP. Mina as well throw a cam in it to.
When it’s done you might have to upgrade to a triple pump fore fuel system depending on how much power you wanna put down. When I upgraded to the Magnuson Marc and my shop both recommended the triple pump if I was gonna be around 1100rwhp and I’m glad I did it. The double pump system is awesome if your around 900rwhp or so. What fuel do you plan on using when it’s all done?
Marc & Whipcat are the some of the most knowledgeable guys in here running the Whipple.

jakeh1

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
grand junction
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 hellcat

Big thanks to Josh and Curt @ Dusterhoff Tuning for helping guide the build in the right direction. Also huge thanks to 'Whip Cat' - 'SRT Stinkeye' and other whipple owners who've done a lot of R&D over the past few years.

Car will have a flex 93/E85 map on the 5" pulley @ 16psi and one on E85 only with the 4.5" @21psi. Dyno results will be posted once finished.

Mods:

Engine:
FIC 1650cc PnP injectors
Magnaflow Catback
180 Degree Thermostat
ER12S Spark Plugs

DSS 1400HP Axles
Per4mance DIRS Brace
Per4mance Race Brace
Bwoody Rear End Links
Z26 Powerstop Pads

Exterior & Interior:
SRT Performance Spoiler
View attachment 23421
What made you go with the 1650 injectors?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I was one of the 1st guys to install a 4.5 Whipple. On the old forum I had a build thread till I got banned from there. I have played with it for the last 3 years. To be honest I'm going back to a stock ported 2.4 S/C. Should be done this week. The only way the 4.5 Whipple is really worth installing is if you go to a bigger cid.

OP
MurderCat

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Thread Starter #13
Thanks for the welcome and advice!

Was told by Dusterhoff tuning the 4.5" was safe for this setup @ 21psi. 4.25" was when recommended to build the motor.
Definitely won't be running higher boost often on the stock rods. If ever ran will be going for a personal best in the 1/4 or 1/2 mile.

Very happy where the car is at now. The 5" @ 16psi is perfect for the street. Almost a dead hook from 40 on 17" beadlocks w/ET Street R. Can definitely see needing a 15" conversion with the 4.5" or smaller. Problem is that setup would scare a LOT of local racers off when they see the huge tire. :p Going to see what is possible on 17s/stock block before getting crazy. Believe the 'Omega' car did 8's on them.

As for fuel sticking with pump gas (93/E85) When built will shoot for 1100-1200whp. Not going for any records, trying to keep everything together like the rest of my builds over the years. (Not one blown motor/turbo etc. I drive the cars HARD) testament to quality tuning/not buying china parts. In the end the goal was a 1000whp street car, anything more is a bonus.

Currently stuck on the flex map - Seems to break up a bit rolling into WOT 30-50mph. Still a few gremlins drive-ability wise.

40 hit:

Last edited:

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I was one of the 1st guys to install a 4.5 Whipple. On the old forum I had a build thread till I got banned from there. I have played with it for the last 3 years. To be honest I'm going back to a stock ported 2.4 S/C. Should be done this week. The only way the 4.5 Whipple is really worth installing is if you go to a bigger cid.
i don’t agree with the bigger cubes is only way for whipple. It runs just fine on stock displacement. Very fast

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
i don’t agree with the bigger cubes is only way for whipple. It runs just fine on stock displacement. Very fast
Post up your fastest time. That will be testament enough. What is funny is everything you did to build your car I had already done. You followed behind me in my foot steps on everything. To my knowledge your car has never been as fast as my car. Many stock 2.4 S/C with stock cid have run low 9's at full weight. Only 1 or maybe 2 Whipple builds have ran low 9's with stock cid and full weight. I guess if you feel 9.50 to 9.70 is very fast then you and I have a different definition of very fast. But then again I had a street car that ran in the 10's back in the early 90's when that was extremely rear.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Post up your fastest time. That will be testament enough. What is funny is everything you did to build your car I had already done. You followed behind me in my foot steps on everything. To my knowledge your car has never been as fast as my car. Many stock 2.4 S/C with stock cid have run low 9's at full weight. Only 1 or maybe 2 Whipple builds have ran low 9's with stock cid and full weight. I guess if you feel 9.50 to 9.70 is very fast then you and I have a different definition of very fast. But then again I had a street car that ran in the 10's back in the early 90's when that was extremely rear.
9.50 is very fast. Our definitions are very different for sure. Time slips are not the only estimation of how fast a car is. Actually a time slip is a very one sided definition of speed. It has no bearing in real world scenarios. 1/4 mile is fun, but the launch is what makes the 1/4 mile special.

on the street, you would be gapped. Plain and simple. Your Stock blower car would need a nice nitrous shot to keep up on the street.

I don’t drag race very much, I street drive and run half miles.

I can assure you that a stock blower car will never mile an hour like a whipple car, that’s a fact. I never followed your build when I did my setup. But that’s not because it was bad or anything. Just didn’t read on it to much.

if I wanted to chase a 1/4 mile time I would still be at it every weekend trying to go faster. But that’s not what I care about. A stock blower car just runs out of steam on the top end. And they are a heat magnet on small pulleys. The whipple builds heat as well, no question. Chillers And ice tanks are needed to help.

for street setups, the whipple is an awesome setup. Just needs to be tuned correctly. And definitely worth adding a chiller to the car.

I can literally leave my street tune on my car, change to drag wheels and go run a 9.50 at the track and change wheels and go home. Stock blower car cannot do that without running swapping different pulleys, nitrous, tunes etc.

difference of opinions man. Your definition is different than others. You can’t claim facts one way or the other. The whipple is a tough blower to tune, the throttle body is brutal, because when it opens it just goes and usually blows the tires off. Making launching extremely difficult. but to say that you go back to stock is because the whipple is bad is not accurate. There’s other things not being done right that are not making you go faster.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Most people are not out illegally street racing their car. Not saying I haven't done it but most are not doing it. My car with the whipple would run 149 almost every pass. I guess we will see what the stock ported S/C will run. The problem with the whippple is, it makes so much torque down low that you have to pull so much out on the launch that you can only run 9.50's at full weight. This is how I dove the car on the streets as well. No changing tires or wheels. The bigger cid will tame the launch down so you can apply more power down low. This is the facts. Thats why everyone who has built a 426 cid motor runs low 9's or high 8's with the whipples. It looks like the OP is looking to build a bigger cid motor so this will turn out fine for him. I'm not sure how many builds you have been involved with whip but I have been building cars and racing for 35 years now. So I guess you could say I'm an older guy with some experience.

jakeh1

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
grand junction
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 hellcat
Im excited to watch this go down, i have similar plans, its hard making power at elevation

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
OkOkOk... lol. I’m going to agree with both of you 😊. I know Phil (WhipCat) and I’ve ridden in his car. It’s not a drag car. It is not set up to run 1/4 mile. It is a daily driver street car that makes a ton of power with the 4.5 Whipple on a 6.2 motor. When Phil towed all the way from Florida to run the 1/2 mile in Arizona with his dad, we drove that thing on a 250 mile round trip into Phoenix from Gila Bend to get Mexican food. The next day he ran a record (blower only) 183+ mph on the 1/2 mile. Strong pulleyed 2.4’s couldn’t even come close to that. The fastest we’re a full 15mph slower. That’s walk... not talk! All that being said..... yes the big Whipple is difficult to manage getting off the line without a serious drag setup. That’s why so many of them don’t show off on the drag strip as expected. But when you look at who the fastest 1/4 mile cars are in the world that are blower only (not spraying)....... all big Whipples. And yes.... they’re strokers (so you’re both right. 😎

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
FYI- my stock blower Cat has trapped over 150 mph on boost. It is my understanding that the ported 2.4 liter blower (snout, and bearing plate) with a bigger TB will produce over 80 RWHP over non modified stock blower. On a 6.2 liter motor not sure there is an advantage with a whipple.

I have made this point over the years and this subject usually deteriorates into a shit show. Summit has run 8.9s with the stock blower and I have ran 9.002 with it (completely stock, no porting). I cannot recall any whipple hellcat going that quick (this is statement is what pisses people off), just the facts.