Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

5038041AA vs MO-049 vs 04884899AC

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
what's the difference between these filters?

im confused.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
MO-041 Original equipment on Viper. More pleats and better filter media. Dome end bypass valve. Louvered center tube. Sketchy quality control from my experience (I’ve had a couple where the louvers were barely open)

MO-899 Original equipment on Hellcat Demon RE. Base end bypass valve (better in the extremely unlikely case of it going into bypass). Holes in the center tube. Cheaper.

IMO, it won’t matter one bit with the frequent oil changes most owners do. Arguably, the air filter is the most important filter for long engine life, but less efficient cotton-gauze filters are what many owners are running.

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #3
MO-041 Original equipment on Viper. More pleats and better filter media. Dome end bypass valve. Louvered center tube. Sketchy quality control from my experience (I’ve had a couple where the louvers were barely open)

MO-899 Original equipment on Hellcat Demon RE. Base end bypass valve (better in the extremely unlikely case of it going into bypass). Holes in the center tube. Cheaper.

IMO, it won’t matter one bit with the frequent oil changes most owners do. Arguably, the air filter is the most important filter for long engine life, but less efficient cotton-gauze filters are what many owners are running.
Ty

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The 041s are getting pretty tough to find, I don't think they are being produced right now and most online spots are out. Try your local dealers for some leftover stock.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think the MO-899 is for most hemis. I'm sure that is what I use on 5.7 Challenger. We get them at Walmart

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
As long as the filter doesn't say fram on it, you are fine:)

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Actually, until just recently Fram was making the best filters Their Ultra had the best flow, filtration and QC of any. The OCD folks at BITOG make a big deal about cutting the filters open after use to look for tears in the media and how they held up and studying filtration efficiency at specified micron ratings. The wire backed synthetic media Ultras were looking great after 20,000 miles. Purolators were nicknamed Tearolators because so many failed after low miles. Fram was sold to another company and the Ultra and the rest of the line have been cheapened somewhat. Fram had been putting silicone anti-drainback valves on their cheapest filters. All Mopar filters use inferior nitrile adv’s.

Everything seems to be changing in oil filters as companies are being gobbled up by larger ones.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #9
They really that bad? I always hear that.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
They really that bad? I always hear that.
Old wives tale. Probably due to the fiber end caps that people call cardboard. The end caps don’t fail and the glue that binds the filter media to the end caps adheres better to the fiber than the metal. They may look cheap but perform as well or better than other brands at each price point. There may have been a time many years ago that they earned the Orange Can of Death label, but it’s no longer true.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Actually, until just recently Fram was making the best filters Their Ultra had the best flow, filtration and QC of any. The OCD folks at BITOG make a big deal about cutting the filters open after use to look for tears in the media and how they held up and studying filtration efficiency at specified micron ratings. The wire backed synthetic media Ultras were looking great after 20,000 miles. Purolators were nicknamed Tearolators because so many failed after low miles. Fram was sold to another company and the Ultra and the rest of the line have been cheapened somewhat. Fram had been putting silicone anti-drainback valves on their cheapest filters. All Mopar filters use inferior nitrile adv’s.

Everything seems to be changing in oil filters as companies are being gobbled up by larger ones.
Many years ago when they were cut apart and compared to others they used the cheapest materials inside. So once you hear something is bad you stay away from it. I have seen issues with Pennzoil in the past, again I stay away from it.
I tell people what ever makes you sleep good at night you should use. There are products I may think are great but someone else thinks different

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #13
Old wives tale. Probably due to the fiber end caps that people call cardboard. The end caps don’t fail and the glue that binds the filter media to the end caps adheres better to the fiber than the metal. They may look cheap but perform as well or better than other brands at each price point. There may have been a time many years ago that they earned the Orange Can of Death label, but it’s no longer true.
idk, i hd 5.0 mustangs for years. and always used fram filters. and everyone of the mustangs i beat to hell with a vengeance, personally. didn't ever have one fram filter that leaked, or failed. idk. weird.

is this like republican vs democrat?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
idk, i hd 5.0 mustangs for years. and always used fram filters. and everyone of the mustangs i beat to hell with a vengeance, personally. didn't ever have one fram filter that leaked, or failed. idk. weird.

is this like republican vs democrat?
Or good vs bad. Yeah same thing I guess.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
1993 I bought a new Suburban 454. At 500 miles I changed the oil and filter. A cold knock developed on start up. I used Mobil 1 and Fram filter. I called Mobil tech line with my problem. The engineer said the synthetic oil could not do that and I agreed. After a few more questions from him, he said I'll get back to you. Next day he called and his words were " get that fricken filter off your truck and call me tomorrow" I changed the filter only and the problem went away. Come to find out there was no drain back valve in the filter. I never used a Fram again.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I use the Wix synthetic filters.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I had the same issue with my wife’s 4 ltr. V6 Explorer. Developed a knocking when cold started that would go away. Dealer’s quick assessment was it needed new cam and lifters. Heads would have to come off. All under warranty. I declined.

At the next oil change I went back to the Ford filter and the noise went away. That had been a top of the line Fram that I used with my other vehicles too. Changed to factory filters while my cars are under warranty and then Wix after warranty.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, but I've had no issues using the factory filter and recommended oil.
I change the oil early for the first time, and use magnetic plugs, but it still works fine.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, but I've had no issues using the factory filter and recommended oil.
I change the oil early for the first time, and use magnetic plugs, but it still works fine.
Same here.