Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

A question I would love to hear Tim K. answer...

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
So with SRT pushing the envelope on what an OEM could produce and still be street legal in 2018 with the Demon, then somehow upping the ante by more than 1s in the 1/4 mile and almost 200hp five years later with the D170, I would love to ask him if Dodge left ANYTHING on the table with this platform using ICE.

Is the Demon 170 on the absolute hairy edge of what's possible for a warranteed mass produced car (without swapping to an alternate mode of propulsion)?

My guess is that the D170 is damn close. In fact, I don't think we see this car passing CAFE without E85. Also, with them blowing up engines tells me they gotta be really close to going too far. And if that's the case, it's another reason why I'm dying to get my hands on this car. It's at the very edge of streetable and with ICE getting phased out we are witnessing the ultimate King Kong pushing the boundaries of whats possible (at least for a mass-produced -warranteed- car).

Thoughts most welcome...

Last edited:

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
I think you're right.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The Demon170 is at the limits of what this platform can produce under warranty, without going AWD and hybrid, I agree.

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Your right jack but what OP said is part of the equation. Many factors come into play on this car.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
That ONLY works in areas that have E85. Most of the civilized world does not have access to E85 but EVERYONE has access to electricity which is why ICE will die and EV's will dominate the market.

The whole warranty thing really doesnt mean dick these days to be honest imo. My Redeye makes more hp than the Demon 170 with a couple bolt ons and it runs perfect all the time never had any issues. Made 870 whp on 93 octane. The Demon 170 wont make that on 93 octane not even close. More like 810-820 whp or so.

Of course ive upgraded many things but modern day cars are so reliable I void warranties the first week I buy a new car cause I could care less. Most of the crap that breaks is axels, driveshafts and diffs. All have been upgraded for a few grand.

But...... The Demon 170 can be upgraded as well just like the Redeye and make far more HP with the 3.0 AND have the ability to make 1200 hp pretty easily.

But lets be real plenty of Redeye's going 8's with stock motors so the Redeye internals will for most never break. The Demon 170 is basically a piston/rod Redeye with a 3.0 but WAAAAY cooler with the TB and launch control...... Hopefully those will be released to other "Red block" owners lol.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Bee ing from Kingssports I can understand. Under warranty means squat these days. Change the air in the tires and void the police actions.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Thread Starter #7
That ONLY works in areas that have E85. Most of the civilized world does not have access to E85 but EVERYONE has access to electricity which is why ICE will die and EV's will dominate the market.

The whole warranty thing really doesnt mean dick these days to be honest imo. My Redeye makes more hp than the Demon 170 with a couple bolt ons and it runs perfect all the time never had any issues. Made 870 whp on 93 octane. The Demon 170 wont make that on 93 octane not even close. More like 810-820 whp or so.

Of course ive upgraded many things but modern day cars are so reliable I void warranties the first week I buy a new car cause I could care less. Most of the crap that breaks is axels, driveshafts and diffs. All have been upgraded for a few grand.

But...... The Demon 170 can be upgraded as well just like the Redeye and make far more HP with the 3.0 AND have the ability to make 1200 hp pretty easily.

But lets be real plenty of Redeye's going 8's with stock motors so the Redeye internals will for most never break. The Demon 170 is basically a piston/rod Redeye with a 3.0 but WAAAAY cooler with the TB and launch control...... Hopefully those will be released to other "Red block" owners lol.
Civilized world? I'm near Denver and we have at least 10 E-85 stations within 15 miles from me.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
All these cars come with conservative tunes from the factory to stop certain idiots from blowing up the car, you know the kind that just hop in the car and 20 seconds later are redlining the car, certain german manufacturers have even disabled launch control until the car gets to operating temp and has been driving for 10 min.

I think there's still quite a bit more room above the demon but we run into two issues, real world usability aka traction, and cost.

In order to keep a factory warranty a car has to be built above and beyond its true capability, think in terms of weight lifting, you don't measure yourself with a 1 rep max rather you do a 5 rep max.

I think the demon 170 reaches the point of diminishing returns, from 850 to 1025 horsepower might have cost them 10k in upgrades but to go that same distance from 1025 horsepower to 1200 reliably with a warranty in tact might cost them 30-40K worth upgrades. At what point does the car become not worth the headache or profitability to keep producing them.