Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

A8 Transmission vs M6?

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
Thread Starter #21
Think about why M fans are so passionate about them. For me as a racer it’s not the physical action of my left leg or my left hand using a clutch. It’s the connection to the vehicle, the control of the shifts, the connection to the road that shifting yourself provides. I think a huge mistake M fans make is thinking the paddles are the way to drive the A8 when trying to get that ’connected to the road shifting’ experience and so I see these posts a ton. They try the paddles and the result is ‘meh’.
Try a RE (better yet a 3.09 RE) in manual mode and in Track or even Custom (track trans), using the actual shifter, not the paddles. I’ll bet you a beer that your mind wont wander. Much different experience than the paddles. Paddles are kind of useless unless youre doing hard pulls. Using the shifter keeps you extremely connected to the car, acutely aware of what gear youre in, and very in control of where the shifts are and what rpm’s you want. Reminds me of racing my motorcyles which are obviously M. Skip the paddles. In the end for me it’s about the control and connection, not the physical act of stepping on a clutch or moving the shifter. Driving a RE in M (Custom - track trans) using the shifter is another really good way to get that.
BINGO! I use to race an RD350 back in the 70's. I sold my RZ500 and RZ350 several years ago. The RZ350 went to an actor from the TV series "Beverly Hills 90210". Had I known how much those bikes would increase in value... :cry:

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Think about why M fans are so passionate about them. For me as a racer it’s not the physical action of my left leg or my left hand using a clutch. It’s the connection to the vehicle, the control of the shifts, the connection to the road that shifting yourself provides. I think a huge mistake M fans make is thinking the paddles are the way to drive the A8 when trying to get that ’connected to the road shifting’ experience and so I see these posts a ton. They try the paddles and the result is ‘meh’.
Try a RE (better yet a 3.09 RE) in manual mode and in Track or even Custom (track trans), using the actual shifter, not the paddles. I’ll bet you a beer that your mind wont wander. Much different experience than the paddles. Paddles are kind of useless unless youre doing hard pulls. Using the shifter keeps you extremely connected to the car, acutely aware of what gear youre in, and very in control of where the shifts are and what rpm’s you want. Reminds me of racing my motorcyles which are obviously M. Skip the paddles. In the end for me it’s about the control and connection, not the physical act of stepping on a clutch or moving the shifter. Driving a RE in M (Custom - track trans) using the shifter is another really good way to get that.
Tnx, i haven't used shifter technique except to check its function. Think i need some empty road an excuse to take her car and give it a go!

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Tnx, i haven't used shifter technique except to check its function. Think i need some empty road an excuse to take her car and give it a go!
Just remember that old habits die slowly. You may, actually you will, find yourself taking off from stops and wondering why it’s revving so high and not shifting every once in a while lol. That’s you forgetting to shift lol. Took me a while to remember to shift an automatic but now I’m addicted. Second nature now, cant leave it in D.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just remember that old habits die slowly. You may, actually you will, find yourself taking off from stops and wondering why it’s revving so high and not shifting every once in a while lol. That’s you forgetting to shift lol. Took me a while to remember to shift an automatic but now I’m addicted. Second nature now, cant leave it in D.
Tnx. This is a worthy issue. If i could find the joy in the A8, then a Redeye entices. I really think we are at the end of this era, and the beefed up Redeye may be the perfect longterm HC.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Both, Clutchflight tranny all the way baby LOL, auto and manual clutch in one no shit. Alright OK so they are obsolete now, but backin the day before high stall speed converters were available, a bell housing with clutch/pressure plate was bolted to 727 torqueflights hence the name Clutchflight. B&M tranny kits were developed and sold with varying results. The premise was get the RPMs up to optimum torque band for launching and then the clutch would act like a locked up converter at high rpm, the 727 auto would handle the fast shifts netting better et’s. Now with the torque converter tech those days are long gone, but served the purpose.

edit.
ultimate modern dream ride from dodge, Factory Hellaphant Challenger with Beefed M6 and and a clutch like Mcleod Rx1200,
beefed drive shaft, pumpkin, axle shafts, don’t give flying shit if a bit slower, I would enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Never had, per say, hot rod with an automatic. Stickment in my head. Like said before. Habits go back to the late 60s,,,, hard to change.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
A8. It is better in every way. Faster, feels better to manually shift with the autostick than the clunky M6 linkage from the bargain bin Mopar crap pile they pulled it out of. I don't think I've ever driven my A8 in auto mode. It's always in manual override.

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
@68coronet, I dare you, ask about which oil next... See what happens...
I don't need to. Everyone knows peanut oil is best. :)

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thought that one would throw a wrench in.
My Ma Mopar always said life’s like a bux O chuckalates, Nevah no whatcha Gunna git

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I thought that was grits.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
A8. It is better in every way. Faster, feels better to manually shift with the autostick than the clunky M6 linkage from the bargain bin Mopar crap pile they pulled it out of. I don't think I've ever driven my A8 in auto mode. It's always in manual override.
Wash your mouth out with soap and covid hand sanitizer, as Bull would say go to room and think bout what ya said LOL. On a serious note your right the A8 can be fun, and that’s coming from someone that never thought he could admit he had an M6 addiction problem, there I said it I took the first steps. FWIW the M6 can be tightened up substantially on the gear throws with a Barton shifter. To bad Ma Mopar didn’t put that in factory. Back in the 60s they used the inferior “inland shifter with many complaints, yielding to popular demand ushered in the factory hurst shifter on many the A833 manual tranny.

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I thought that was grits.
Hick hope ya feeling better man, but gutzs to ask do the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. All grits take 20 mins to cook. ( Quote direct from my cousin ( “Vinny” )

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Vinny and the jets are true gritters at heart. That'd all it takes add a bit of butter ,,, no Spamsters. Fiz etts don't exist on my stove just the pole dancers and grv a teee. Lack of pan tees with sum baby power for the quick sliders. A grit takes 5 minutes but grits do take 2o with out the Spamsters to ruin the southern accent. Hospital sell oat meals,, WHAT the hell. Is that what horses eat?? Thee menues have a northen accent to em. Even the jello smells like hoofs. Different from the Hickster life style. But thanks on the feelin better. Time fer a Klon dyke bar from the bar. Worked there on refriger ant piping once. Clearwater at one time.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
If you had to choose one?
Yer a bike guy...did a Honda matic ever do anything for ya...or maybe a Ridley...???...I rest my case...nothin else matters...unless...you live @ the track 3 days a wk..ok move along now...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Me, myself, and I were a bike guy. My last was a 64 shovel pan electric and kick start. Didn't live at the track just toted it around from show to show. Had $10,000 worth of gold inlaid on the tank and fend ers, hard tail, all stainless braided lines and air craft fittings. Won alot of shows and got the eyes of the gals. With 5 hern it ated discs and 3 knee replacements on 2 knees,,, it hurt to even think of riding it. Bought a 1977 super glide and chopped it. Nice ride with electric start and shocks. Turned out very nice all the way around. 2 people bike. Before that death trap. 55 pan head kick start only for the looks and 11 knee operations. Racked front end, risers, Z bars, hard tail. Road like an army tank and that being nice to a tank. Did have a Honda, why, hard tail, ole springer stretched front end, 4 inch risers, Z bars, coffin tank, all chrome and candy apple red paint, glowed in the dark. Dual halagen head lights with a 1,100 big bore kit, port pollishded, blue printed, all balanced, king queeny seat. Engine was the answer to the KZ 900 and 1000 Cow sockets. Blew em away in Boiling Green, Ky in October at the speed way. used to ruin at least 2 engines per trip up and trailer it back. Looks nice but with thin tubing and light weight front end. No weight to it. Balanced it wood pull the 21 inch front wheel off the ground 3 inches thru 2 gears and all it took to win. OUTLAWS bet on me every race and made fortune. Even helped me rebuild a few engines with supplied parts. $$$ in the bag. Back when Goat was prez of the Chattanooga chapter. Famous for his goat head soup. Goat head supplied by local heard ez man every year. made 20 gallons per head. Last feast before every one headed home from where ever. Last year when a group descided the drag strip and camp ground was not enough land and tore up the smalltown. What a shame. Being contained with Ky state troopers was not enough for sum. End of the winter nationals at that. Then turned into corvette city with a nasty sink hole.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Wash your mouth out with soap and covid hand sanitizer, as Bull would say go to room and think bout what ya said LOL. On a serious note your right the A8 can be fun, and that’s coming from someone that never thought he could admit he had an M6 addiction problem, there I said it I took the first steps. FWIW the M6 can be tightened up substantially on the gear throws with a Barton shifter. To bad Ma Mopar didn’t put that in factory. Back in the 60s they used the inferior “inland shifter with many complaints, yielding to popular demand ushered in the factory hurst shifter on many the A833 manual tranny.
Who drives a m6 HC without a barton? People do that?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Who drives a m6 HC without a barton? People do that?
Right? Damn barbarians…

OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
Except for a 1968 Coronet 440 that I once owned, all of my favorites were manual shift. Not only is Orlando traffic a chore to navigate, doing it in a V8 performance vehicle is a complete waste of machinery. Doing it in a manual shift compounds the aggravation. I have a '96 Ranger 2.3 Lima that I'm currently restoring as a summer time DD. I let it sit for 6 years, and it seems there's no end to the parts I've had to replace. One thing gets replaced and I find another that needs replacing. I just got through doing all of the front seals, only to discover that the EGR pipe needs to be replaced. The worst so-far was removing the bed to access the fuel pump. I lucked-out with the plastic fuel tank, as I thought for sure it would be rusted-out. I've already replaced the timing belt, but I'm thinking that I may want to replace the head gasket? It's got 103,000 on it...:unsure:

If I put 3,000 miles on the Challenger this year, I'll be surprised. Since I'm not using it as a DD, I think going with manual shift is a given. I'm waiting on parts from FoMoCo, so I've had plenty of time to check-out used SRT and 2021 Scat Pack models. I dig the SRT appointments on my limited 50th, so I'm leaning heavily on SRT. As long as I can find one that has a warranty. I still have a free SRT Experience that I haven't used. It came with the 50th LE purchase.

Last edited:
OP
68coronet

68coronet

Member ID
Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #40
Me, myself, and I were a bike guy. My last was a 64 shovel pan electric and kick start. Didn't live at the track just toted it around from show to show. Had $10,000 worth of gold inlaid on the tank and fend ers, hard tail, all stainless braided lines and air craft fittings. Won alot of shows and got the eyes of the gals. With 5 hern it ated discs and 3 knee replacements on 2 knees,,, it hurt to even think of riding it. Bought a 1977 super glide and chopped it. Nice ride with electric start and shocks. Turned out very nice all the way around. 2 people bike. Before that death trap. 55 pan head kick start only for the looks and 11 knee operations. Racked front end, risers, Z bars, hard tail. Road like an army tank and that being nice to a tank. Did have a Honda, why, hard tail, ole springer stretched front end, 4 inch risers, Z bars, coffin tank, all chrome and candy apple red paint, glowed in the dark. Dual halagen head lights with a 1,100 big bore kit, port pollishded, blue printed, all balanced, king queeny seat. Engine was the answer to the KZ 900 and 1000 Cow sockets. Blew em away in Boiling Green, Ky in October at the speed way. used to ruin at least 2 engines per trip up and trailer it back. Looks nice but with thin tubing and light weight front end. No weight to it. Balanced it wood pull the 21 inch front wheel off the ground 3 inches thru 2 gears and all it took to win. OUTLAWS bet on me every race and made fortune. Even helped me rebuild a few engines with supplied parts. $$$ in the bag. Back when Goat was prez of the Chattanooga chapter. Famous for his goat head soup. Goat head supplied by local heard ez man every year. made 20 gallons per head. Last feast before every one headed home from where ever. Last year when a group descided the drag strip and camp ground was not enough land and tore up the smalltown. What a shame. Being contained with Ky state troopers was not enough for sum. End of the winter nationals at that. Then turned into corvette city with a nasty sink hole.
I've rebuilt my share of bikes. My favorite build was an '84 shovel, oil leaks and all. I modified my '02 FXDWG to 95" top, TW37 cams, 44mm CV w/Woods needle and V&H pro-pipe. I ended-up going with a set of .045 head gaskets, which I now regret. I wanted to minimize "corn gas" preignition, but it seems ethanol-free fuel is now common around here. I don't see Outlaws on the road much anymore, and we're in East Orlando. You rarely see anyone on a bike these days. Operator demographics don't exactly inspire confidence... Brain-dead sheeple with their eyes glued to their iPhone is a recipe for impending disaster.

IMG_3417 copy.JPG

Last edited: