Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Aftermarket parts - what works and what is a waste of cash?

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
@DGatzby good to see the product working out so well for you!

Hope your testing/adjustment track-days serve you well.

Today for me? Rained all day. So left around 1:30. BUT, I go back Sunday. Weather promises better forecast then.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #102
@DGatzby ...Just get a couple of thick cardboard boxes and cut 4 big squares. put a double layer under the tires you are checking,(ie.both fronts), and you will be able to turn wheels fairly easily! I have a digital protractor that easily tells degrees of movement. They are pretty inexpensive to find.The one I have is a Fowler mini mag electronic protractor, it runs about 75.00
Thanks. I have a pile of old protractors, even a slide rule! They gave me some sort of an engineering degree back before computers and all this fancy stuff. I’ll just draw the lines for my limits on the cardboard. Thanks for the tip. Every $200 bucks saved puts more money in the tire jar.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #103
@DGatzby good to see the product working out so well for you!

Hope your testing/adjustment track-days serve you well.

Today for me? Rained all day. So left around 1:30. BUT, I go back Sunday. Weather promises better forecast then.
Decided the weather forecast for Monday can’t be better. Going to go up with the Vette club and work the Comp course. Then a week from Monday again a morning of Comp course, then the kid is going for his personal best Donnybrook lap time with all afternoon on the big one! Hope the track gets hot enough in two weeks. I am going to work those pads. Thanks again for them.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #104
More feedback, this time on brake pads. I have used up about four sets of Hawk DTC 70 Pads now on my DP rotors. Fairly accustomed to its brake distances and feel. For emergency purposes I substituted a new set of Brembo pads in the fronts yesterday. BIG DIFFERENCE! So big I won’t run them next Monday. You could call it a fade I guess, but on two of the stop zones requiring the most power on BIR, the pedal was to the stops! It did stop, but not even close to how the Hawks work in the same places. It caused me to slow down as much as 50 yards sooner in 3 and to really shorten the aggression on the throttle btw 11-12. I will say it can be worth a few seconds. AutoAnything to the rescue with delivery of new Hawk -70’s before this weekend:D

@TrackDay you know what I am taking about, slowing down for #3 and #12. Now that it stopped the spooky darting left and right with power, I can carry speed again!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Glad to hear it @DGatzby. And yes, the stock pads are nothing in comparison to the DTC70 pads. I haven't seen many cars outstop me on the 70s.
A friend is trying the 295/30 Hoosier R7 tires at Mid Ohio in the next week or so. He's still on 10" wheels. I'm really curious how they work for him. If he has a good verdict maybe I'll try a set of 305/30 next year with DTC80 pads and brake cooling fans and see if I can break some of my best times.
My main goal is to have a car I can do lap after lap with at Road America, like I can now at Brainerd.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #106
Glad to hear it @DGatzby. And yes, the stock pads are nothing in comparison to the DTC70 pads. I haven't seen many cars outstop me on the 70s.
A friend is trying the 295/30 Hoosier R7 tires at Mid Ohio in the next week or so. He's still on 10" wheels. I'm really curious how they work for him. If he has a good verdict maybe I'll try a set of 305/30 next year with DTC80 pads and brake cooling fans and see if I can break some of my best times.
My main goal is to have a car I can do lap after lap with at Road America, like I can now at Brainerd.
That would be fun. I think you can do it. You better, I will!

I am returning to BIR Monday. They can ride along now. So if I can get a set of pads overnight, I am going to try for a hot lap or two with some “coaching”. Comp course in the AM to warm up. Big circuit after lunch.

One thing the Brembo pads leave literally piles of dust on my wheels compared to the rear set of Hawks. It is amazing,