Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Alternator belt gone bad

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
I am thinking this belt went bad due to the oil hose that burst back on October 23rd. The car only has 36k miles and the belt shouldn't have went bad. Oil got all over the belt when the leak happened. This past Friday I got in the car in the morning started it up and a minute later alot of rubber smelling smoke was billowing from that area. The belt felt like it was bad. I had it towed to the service dept again just like when the hose broke. The svc writer said the belts won't be covered because of collateral damage!?!! I told him to fix it without arguing, but that crap should be covered because of another covered failed part, right? I bought 3 cars from them and always got them serviced there as well. Im hoping they reconsider charging me because my next social media write up won't be as good as the past.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Normally if a belt is smoking it is because one of the pulleys is locked up and the belt is dragging on it

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
There’s an alternator belt??

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Normally if a belt is smoking it is because one of the pulleys is locked up and the belt is dragging on it
I hadn't thought of that,you maybe correct.in that case it should fall under power train warranty since it is an engine pulley. I only have a power train warranty in effect the 3/36 was done back in September.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Collateral damage from a covered repair, is a covered repair.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I was told today that the dealer will charge me for the belts only to meet me halfway. So they will wave the labor, which is fair. the problem now is they said the belt will not be available til the 6th of December! So my car will sit there until then :(

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I don't understand why a belt would just smoke for no reason. Belts are not that much, go to Napa and get one and put it on yourself

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I was told today that the dealer will charge me for the belts only to meet me halfway. So they will wave the labor, which is fair. the problem now is they said the belt will not be available til the 6th of December! So my car will sit there until then :(

I agree with @vortecd, for the cost of the belt and a bit of time on your part, it's worth it to pay for it and do it yourself versus let your car sit on a dealer's lot, which lately are notorious for theft!

The supply chain they are using isn't the only one available to you also!

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I don't understand why a belt would just smoke for no reason. Belts are not that much, go to Napa and get one and put it on yourself
It didn't, they replaced the alternator,the bearings were fried from motor oil getting in it from the oil hose that went bad 3 weeks ago. Now finally the car is right. All I had to pay for was the belts, no labor, $124.00 ,it is a great dealership IMO. Margate Arrigo Dodge :)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It didn't, they replaced the alternator,the bearings were fried from motor oil getting in it from the oil hose that went bad 3 weeks ago. Now finally the car is right. All I had to pay for was the belts, no labor, $124.00 ,it is a great dealership IMO. Margate Arrigo Dodge :)
You left out the alternator was bad when you replied about the belt. Makes sense why it was smoking, it was locked up

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It didn't, they replaced the alternator,the bearings were fried from motor oil getting in it from the oil hose that went bad 3 weeks ago.
Yeah, now it makes sense. Says right on the car that it's a charger/alternator.
Obviously these issues are practically nonexistent on Challengers.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
You left out the alternator was bad when you replied about the belt. Makes sense why it was smoking, it was locked up
At that time I did not know it was bad, til 3 days ago when they told me. That was after they changed the belts, that it wasn't charging.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Have they checked the two pulleys?

Edit - nevermind

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
Have they checked the two pulleys?

Edit - nevermind
They said the mechanic went through everything that was involved.