Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone Ever Use the Factory Supplied AIR DEFLECTORS???

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
The factory engineers stated the combination of the underbody ducts and the air deflectors allowed more laps to be driven at full boogie before experiencing fade.
I bought both for my 16 Challenger and use Hawk DTC70 pads with titanium brake pad to caliper shims and Castrol SRF fluid. I still faded my brakes at Road America last year. These heavy cars need all the help they can get.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
High pressure and low pressure areas abound. FCA has a wind tunnel, and you have an out of calibration Mark I eyeball. So unless you are Greta, and can see non-visible gases, I would trust the fluid modeling and practical testing.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #43
High pressure and low pressure areas abound. FCA has a wind tunnel, and you have an out of calibration Mark I eyeball. So unless you are Greta, and can see non-visible gases, I would trust the fluid modeling and practical testing.
You bought a goofy looki'n car, what'ya you know. And factory hood pins don't work either! They're just jewelry.:p

Detroit Muscle

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Apple Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
My Redeye had the deflectors in a box in the trunk when I purchased the vehicle.
I have not installed them.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I installed them.
Pizza cake!
I have had this thing up and down changing fluids and wheels and tires so it was no big deal.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #46
I installed them.
Pizza cake!
I have had this thing up and down changing fluids and wheels and tires so it was no big deal.
Understood. But the thread was started because I questioned the functionality of them.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Understood. But the thread was started because I questioned the functionality of them.
Copy that and I have no clue.
I suppose one of the road course members on here would have to do a test with a pyrometer at the track.
I figured when they had this svelte beast in the wind tunnel somebody noticed that there was no wind on the brakes and the one engineer who had a brother with a plastic device manufacturing plant said "I've got a fix".

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
With all the gadgets and gizmos on these cars I'm surprised you can't see the brakes/tires/rear diff temps.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've just spoken with the @CDT Rotors people :cool:, as part of the data logging that will happen later this year, they will test with and without these in place and get caliper temps at a minimum.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I'll throw my spin in here......these may not be designed to direct air at the wheels/brakes, but instead could act as a vortex generator and create a resulting airflow that would work to pull air from/through the wheel/brake areas....and no....I'm not a fluid dynamics genius....but I did sleep in my bed last night :p

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll throw my spin in here......these may not be designed to direct air at the wheels/brakes, but instead could act as a vortex generator and create a resulting airflow that would work to pull air from/through the wheel/brake areas....and no....I'm not a fluid dynamics genius....but I did sleep in my bed last night :p

Motel 6 or your opinion isn't worth squat...

:p

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
As I said: There are deliberate high pressure and low pressure areas engineered into these cars.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Is that the new orange Hellcat?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
As I said: There are deliberate high pressure and low pressure areas engineered into these cars.
and I don't doubt your veracity sir :)

I got into an aerodynamics conversation with someone last night....and then my mind went to this discussion....as I've admitted before...weird things pop into my head at weird times :)

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Funny this topic came up. One of the things I asked about before I picked up my RE WB at the dealer was if the deflectors were installed or not since I looked in the trunk and didn't see any there. Annnd of course....the sales manager gave me a blank look and had no idea what I was talking about. Car sits so low, I couldn't tell if they were there or not. So I explained to him what they were - just a couple plastic flat pieces that are mounted on the lower control arms with U-bolts on the front that help direct air towards the front brake rotors.

He had one of the service guys jack the car up a little on the show room floor to make sure they were there and they were indeed installed. I doubt they do much at real low speeds, but I can see them directing some air towards the rotors over 40 mph. They probably weigh a whopping total of 2 pounds max. I also asked him to remove the yellow shipping guard for the front splitter and put it in the trunk....guess I'm not one of the "cool" guys. :cry:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You should mount the deflectors on the splitter guard and reinstall it.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
One might say 'Parachute-like' aerodynamics.

Helps when slowing down for corners.
But the brakes won't be so warm...

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
I've just spoken with the @CDT Rotors people :cool:, as part of the data logging that will happen later this year, they will test with and without these in place and get caliper temps at a minimum.
With the new belly pan as well?

IMG_7245.jpg