Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone wear driving gloves?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Here ya go! [biggrin]
1598023048942.jpeg

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #22
Ahhhhhh fuzzy....

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
This post makes me think of 80's yuppies.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
That’s what I was thinking! You could find a nice leather steering wheel cover that has the same configuration as the original steering wheel. Something like these although I probably would not get the cheapest one 149A4E44-69CE-4F4E-9237-9EB95390C91D.png 3CEDA1BC-A2F7-4B38-803E-6BA8DA948B6A.png

Last edited:
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #25
Steering wheel cover? Ill forget you even suggested that! Lol.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
That’s what I was thinking! You could find a nice leather steering wheel cover that has the same configuration as the original steering wheel.
True, but you're giving up the plumb crazy and absorbency. :cool:

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I seem to destroy leather steering wheels. Its usually one of the main reasons I get a new car. I don't like any sort of steering wheel covers and replacement steering wheels are expensive. So, I just get a new car after eventually getting sick of the steering wheel looking like crap. I've tried to clean and protect them but it never works. I'm convinced at this point that my body chemistry is such that steering wheels just can't handle me. So for the first time, I've decided to wear driving gloves and see if it helps. Actually glove as I have taken to only wearing one on my left hand as I rarely use my right on the wheel. I don't like the idea and definitely feel a little stupid but if it helps preserve my wheel then its worth it. So, as usual, don't give any f's what others think, if it helps my wheel last, I'm wearing one. Having done so for more than 10k miles now, I kind of like it. Whether it will actually serve its intended purpose is as yet unknown but I'll find out.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
From a former racer, dont use gloves with metal studs on the palms. Im thinking thats not what you meant but just as an fyi Ive seen these and during a crash when youre naturally trying to slow down by extending the hands out, those studs get hot and burn your hands.
Absolutely correct Slowpoke! I wear Held gloves, kangaroo with kevlar...hard knuckle protection.

I had a buddy who wore gloves with metal studs on the palms. He lowsided on a curve with gravel while on his Gixxer 1000...the sparks flying off of the palms were impressive to see as he slid to a stop and, fortunately, was uninjured. The studs were really hot as he frantically pulled the gloves off. He got himself a pair of Held's and replaced the fairing and pucks.

Oh, and this thread has me looking at driving gloves again :cool:

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
My Dainese Gloves have kevlar and carbon fiber with titanium skid guards over it. And like stated above when you hit the asphalt, Or worse the chip seal. you want a great glove. not just a good one!

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Absolutely correct Slowpoke! I wear Held gloves, kangaroo with kevlar...hard knuckle protection.

I had a buddy who wore gloves with metal studs on the palms. He lowsided on a curve with gravel while on his Gixxer 1000...the sparks flying off of the palms were impressive to see as he slid to a stop and, fortunately, was uninjured. The studs were really hot as he frantically pulled the gloves off. He got himself a pair of Held's and replaced the fairing and pucks.

Oh, and this thread has me looking at driving gloves again :cool:
Helds are awesome. Good choice.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
WOW.

Please don't be one of those glove car people. Next you will be driving wearing a scarf and hat.
Too late Markie...Bull already dons the hat n scarf...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Never in a car, even during Auto-X and whatnot back in the day. 100% of the time on the bike. (and armor)
Smart man.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I only wear gloves for construction, handling grungy stuff, and for inspections. Back in the day, on the bike, I was an idiot and rarely wore gloves. Never have in the car, though I have thought about it. Three main pair right now - in the cars: old black Mechanix gloves, probably a decade old. Two pairs of Stihl leather gloves, largest size they make - I think my hands are small but can only rarely find gloves that aren't too tight. These were actually factory defects (over sized for marked size) left over at one of my in-laws implement dealerships. Mother in law salvaged them.

At home: fifty year old pair of white mules, made in the USA and stilll going strong.

At the store: various leather work gloves for emergency use.

If you like the gloves in the car, they make you feel more comfortable, not stress about the leather, etc..., wear them. who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
I did buy a pair of driving gloves, Like the OP my hands will sweat on a long drive. The problem I had was that with the leather on leather steering wheel, I had to grip it tighter to keep it from slipping in my hands. So it made my hands tired quick! They now ride in the counsel.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
That’s what I was thinking! You could find a nice leather steering wheel cover that has the same configuration as the original steering wheel. Something like these although I probably would not get the cheapest one View attachment 22751 View attachment 22752
Funny you mention that.......
My hands sweat a lot at times, and I didn't want to ruin the wheel in my Challenger, so I put one of these on to help protect it. It actually fit very well and still had a nice grip to it. It was the slip on kind and I never had any problems with it moving around.

wheel cover c.jpg

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just do the old bowling trick. Every so often hold your hand up to the AC outlet and let the air dry and cool your hand. Just like back in the day at the ball return at the ally. LOL

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just don't stick them so far down you get your knuckles broken by the balls or the rollers. :)

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Damn sisses turn on the heater on the wheel. How come they don't A/C for the ones in the sutha states.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I'm one of those somewhat sweaty hands guys (not so much though as to be embarrassing) so I'm always moving my hands around the steering wheel for a cool comfortable spot, plus I don't want to discolor my black leather wheel. I'm just wondering if any of you guys wear driving gloves? While I don't particularly care for the look, or maybe the "stigma" of a driving glove guy, I would admit it might not be so bad. I am a form follow function kind of fellow. Just curious, that's all. Thanks.
I always thought people driving cars with gloves was kind a lame but I never took in consideration about sweaty hands. Thanks for brightening up my wisdom.(y)

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Since I changed out my wheel to the alcantara style from the Demon I wear some simple Mechanix gloves most of the time when I'm driving. They are the Fast Fit type and also have touch screen capable finger tips. They work great.