Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bando Belt Failure...

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Ordered (3) Metco pulleys. Tensioner and 2 idler. They finished production almost 2 weeks ahead of schedule. They'll be here Monday. I'll see how the Bando does with this set up. Hoping the lighter, better rotational drag of them will help with the life of the Bando. If I get premature wear I'll try the Gates black belt. If that one has the same issues...back to Green and hope for the best.
Got any info on the pulleys.
I'm guessing the heat is causing that chipping of the belt. Hopefully it won't happen again. I have never had that happen on my cars.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Anybody use the Gates high performance?
Racing Micro-V High Performance V-Ribbed Belt; Black

Racing, Performance, Muscle. The only belt in the industry specifically designed for high-output and forced induction engines. Specially-engineered to deliver maximum boost and performance, these belts feature the most advanced technology.
20201017_100101.jpg

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #23
Got any info on the pulleys.
I'm guessing the heat is causing that chipping of the belt. Hopefully it won't happen again. I have never had that happen on my cars.
Rick at Metco was awesome. Answered all my questions and concerns. There is another pulley "manufacture" that many have used as well but according to Rick, "The fact that the XXX versions of these pulleys look just like ours is because XXX copied our design. We have no affiliation with XXX, whatsoever, and after seeing ‘their’ pulleys, I question their business practices."

I guess that's what patents on inventions are for. Keeps your competition honest.

I'm hoping the heat /friction will be less than the heavy OEM pulleys that take considerably more effort to spin. Not sure when they get up to operating temp if that changes. Plus I like the idea of having better dual, higher rpm bearings.

I added an additional idler pulley to replace all 3 pulleys for the blower belt. The only reason they don't offer a kit with all 3 is because they have yet to remove the lower idler to verify fitment. I'll be sending him pics to verify fitment. Others have used the same idler for both locations so it "should" be fine.

Anyone have the torque specs on these pulleys? I'm thinking 21-22 ftlbs. I remember seeing or hearing that on some of the vids but I'm not 100% sure.

https://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HCKIT

Last edited:
OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #24
Anybody use the Gates high performance?
Racing Micro-V High Performance V-Ribbed Belt; Black

Racing, Performance, Muscle. The only belt in the industry specifically designed for high-output and forced induction engines. Specially-engineered to deliver maximum boost and performance, these belts feature the most advanced technology.
I haven't heard anything about this one. Seems like Hpindy likes the Gates Gold belt but I haven't compared the two. At least we have options. Just need to find the happy place for the pulley bearings, rotor bearings and which belt fits the bill without the premature wear like the Bandos.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I haven't heard anything about this one. Seems like Hpindy likes the Gates Gold belt but I haven't compared the two. At least we have options. Just need to find the happy place for the pulley bearings, rotor bearings and which belt fits the bill without the premature wear like the Bandos.
I haven't tried this belt yet as I have not had the need to change my belt yet . My current belt is working fantastic so I can only comment on that .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
In full disclosure I have the following on the car
10 % ATI lower pulley
Stock upper pulley
Fi spacers
3 metco idler pulleys
And for that I use a K100600 belt and it's dead center in the adjuster .

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #27
Lol...reading my mind now Hpindy. Was just going to ask about your set up. I would LOVE to be in the 9.6x range with my set up but not sure if that's possible with the factory wheels and my current R888r Toyo's or the new NT555RII Nittos I'm going to be installing next. Might need a drag pack set up.

Not to mention I'm still running the stock DS and no DIRS for added support for the rear end. That's keeping me from the local drags. :cautious:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Lol...reading my mind now Hpindy. Was just going to ask about your set up. I would LOVE to be in the 9.6x range with my set up but not sure if that's possible with the factory wheels and my current R888r Toyo's or the new NT555RII Nittos I'm going to be installing next. Might need a drag pack set up.

Not to mention I'm still running the stock DS and no DIRS for added support for the rear end. That's keeping me from the local drags. :cautious:
I highly recommend a set of street R's , DIRS brace and a redeye driveshaft . To start with .

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #29
I highly recommend a set of street R's , DIRS brace and a redeye driveshaft . To start with .

I agree...just watched some more vids on the DIRS set up. I'll prob pull the trigger as I have a private event in November at HRP for a group of guys.

Are you referring to the factory Redeye DS or an aftermarket one-piece DS?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I agree...just watched some more vids on the DIRS set up. I'll prob pull the trigger as I have a private event in November at HRP for a group of guys.

Are you referring to the factory Redeye DS or an aftermarket one-piece DS?
The factory redeye driveshaft. I have one now and I am very happy with it .

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #31
The factory redeye driveshaft. I have one now and I am very happy with it .

Well being a '19 Redeye at least that's a given but still worried about it, being such a phat girl with 800+ish rwhp. Not sure how many Demons or Redeye's have destroyed the OEM DS but most I see are going to a one piece "stronger" DS.

Just not sure I want to go that route. There's a reason the factory used this 2-piece DS. Vibration, noise, etc. I drive the car on the streets 99.9% of the time so...

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Well being a '19 Redeye at least that's a given but still worried about it, being such a phat girl with 800+ish rwhp. Not sure how many Demons or Redeye's have destroyed the OEM DS but most I see are going to a one piece "stronger" DS.

Just not sure I want to go that route. There's a reason the factory used this 2-piece DS. Vibration, noise, etc. I drive the car on the streets 99.9% of the time so...
In my opinion you are all set in the driveshaft department. A set of 17 street R's and a DIRS brace and you will be all set for the track . In my personal experience I have had nothing but problems with 1 piece driveshafts . 5 different driveshafts from 3 different companies. I went back to a factory redeye driveshaft and couldn't be happier. I'm confident it will take anything we can throw at it . Unless you plan on getting crazy ( stroker , whipple , nitrous, etc)

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #33
Great looking pieces. I'll install in the morning. Found this tq spec sheet too.

20201017_191957.jpg Screenshot_20201017-192952_QuickPic~01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #34
So the fun begins...wasn't too bad actually. Just a bit tight with both idler pulleys and not able to get my hex bit socket/tq wrench in there with the fan shroud. Relied on 38 year inner tq wrench...lol

thumbnail_20201018_084432.jpg

No issues with adding Metco lower idler pulley. Seems to be same as the upper idler. A bit closer to the accessory belt but everything else seems fine.

thumbnail_20201018_091341.jpg

Before and after...

thumbnail_20201018_084110.jpg
thumbnail_20201018_092806.jpg

Last edited:

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
So the fun begins...wasn't too bad actually. Just a bit tight and not able to get my hex bit socket/tq wrench in there with the fan shroud. Relied on 38 year inner tq wrench...lol

View attachment 27223

No issues with adding Metco lower idler pulley. Seems to be same as the upper idler. A bit closer to the accessory belt but everything else seems fine.

View attachment 27224

Before and after...

View attachment 27225
View attachment 27226
Looks good. So you left the tensioner pulley stock?

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #36
Looks good. So you left the tensioner pulley stock?
No...tensioner and both idler pulleys swapped. See in 1st pic the 3 pulleys laid out. The before and after pic shows the difference in the OEM and Metco tensioner pulley.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
No...tensioner and both idler pulleys swapped. See in 1st pic the 3 pulleys laid out. The before and after pic shows the difference in the OEM and Metco tensioner pulley.
Got yah. It was just hard to see the grooves on the metco tensioner pulley on my phone..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Are they the same size as oem? Does that mean the lower idler is bigger giving more wrap on the crank pulley?

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #39
Are they the same size as oem? Does that mean the lower idler is bigger giving more wrap on the crank pulley?
Same diameter as OEM so no additional belt wrap. Slightly wider but that's it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So the fun begins...wasn't too bad actually. Just a bit tight with both idler pulleys and not able to get my hex bit socket/tq wrench in there with the fan shroud. Relied on 38 year inner tq wrench...lol

View attachment 27223

View attachment 27224

Before and after...

View attachment 27225
View attachment 27226
I did the TBA pulleys. I can't believe how hard it was to turn the bolts on the smooth pulley's but the ribbed one you could have turned by hand:unsure: