Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Black smoke

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
After installing listens 2.85 pulley. 775 injectors. Blower spacers. Thermo blanket K&n cai. And 180 t-stat. Car was remotely tuned on the road.

Cat runs fine air/fuel right around 13.5.

But when I punch it black smoke comes out the exhaust. It never did this before mods and tune.

Should I get it returned by a different person?
I don't want to contaminate the oil with gas or plug the catalytic converters.

Detroit Muscle

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Apple Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I'm not an expert, but did check the fuel-pressure regulator at WOT?
Could be dumping too much fuel under full throttle.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
What is the AFR when it’s puking the black smoke? I wouldn’t do it again to find out if you Don’t already know. I would run it by the original tuner, you paid him right? You should get a complete tune then but if his info sounds bogus call another but many don’t like to take over a problem tune and a possible hurt something. Did you data log the run?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It's the tune, it's dumping a lot of fuel on the hit WOT.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Like I said before. Do it yourself. Guaranteed and learn a lot.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #6
What is the AFR when it’s puking the black smoke? I wouldn’t do it again to find out if you Don’t already know. I would run it by the original tuner, you paid him right? You should get a complete tune then but if his info sounds bogus call another but many don’t like to take over a problem tune and a possible hurt something. Did you data log the run?

First let me say thanks for responding. I was afraid no one showed up here anymore.

I may have giving the wrong picture in my post.

It doesn't "roll coal" like a desil truck. But I can see some smoke in my rear mirror.

Afr is right around 13.5

Yes I paid for the tune. And it was remotely done with hp tuners.

The 2 times I looked I was running 16 lbs. Of boost which I was surprised at with only a 2.85 upper.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
What octane fuel you running? Are you sure it’s black smoke? Grey smoke it could be detonating and the to me lean side AFR at WOT you are seeing is a lack of unburnt oxygen in the mix from not enough fuel in the mix to burn all the oxygen present. Did the tuner turn off in your tune the DTC P0300 to P0308 codes which would be misfire detection? You can view the DTC code list in the tune with VCM Editor and see. You have a data log of any of these events? 16 lbs of boost your going to need Good 93 octane fuel at the very least. Safe on the rich side AFR should be around 11.2-11.4 at WOT on gasoline at that boost, anything above 12 way to lean, a AFR of 13.5 is way on the lean side at WOT. 16 lbs of boost is not impossible on a 2.85 in the right air with a tight blower, my original AF blower made 16 psi on a 2.85 unported. Spare I’m running now makes 17-17.5 on a 2.85 with a ported faceplate, port matched snout, and 95mm TB. Need a data log

Last edited:

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
air/fuel right around 13.5.
Hell I get black smoke WOT whenever I hit it and a tail pipes are always black. Personally I think 13.5 or whatever Mopar is running the air/fuel ratio is too rich. I've been thinking about leaning it out to about 12.5 or 12.0.

Opinions?

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hell I get black smoke WOT whenever I hit it and a tail pipes are always black. Personally I think 13.5 or whatever Mopar is running the air/fuel ratio is too rich. I've been thinking about leaning it out to about 12.5 or 12.0.

Opinions?
You're backwards. Air / (over) Fuel. 13.5 is lean (for WOT). Cruising under no load, most modern vehicles will go higher than 15 AFR for mileage.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I haven't seen 775 injectors before.
Has anyone else?

@Hemiride What spark plugs are you running?

Linda :)

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
You're backwards. Air / (over) Fuel. 13.5 is lean (for WOT). Cruising under no load, most modern vehicles will go higher than 15 AFR for mileage.
Actually I'm talking about just cruising the fuel ratio runs about 13.5 to 13.7 which I think is too rich, I never check it at WOT but I will try to pay attention next time. I don't hit WOT often at all.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Running 93 octane

And stock spark plugs

Going to be cold this weekend. Don't know if I'll get the car out.

Car used to run 14 afr at cruise when stock. Now runs 13.5 ish which I feel is rich.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #13
I haven't seen 775 injectors before.
Has anyone else?

@Hemiride What spark plugs are you running?

Linda :)
Made by FIC

they are part of Dusterhauff's 2.85 pulley package I believe

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Try a quart of Octanium Unleaded in a1/2-3/4 tank of 93. If the smoke goes away you where detonating. Octanium the best I’ve found to combat a tank of crappy fuel. Do you know how much timing is allowed WOT at 6200 rpm?
Do you have any data logs? You must have some if you where remote tuned?

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I'm old not up on the computer stuff.
My son has data logged many cars. He did all the logging and down loading the tunes.
He has my logs and tunes on his computer

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
PS, cold air is better As far as knock goes, where you live Alaska? I’m looking forward to colder weather, supposed to hit 35 tonight here in NE Pa, that will push the DA way down, Like maybe 100 here at 880’ altitude I’ve already got plans for hitting the street late tonight looking for a 10.99 street 1/4 pull while the pavement is still warm! :). It ain’t too cold until there’s cinders on the roads, enjoy everyday possible before such as you never know if you’ll be on this planet for “next year”.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm old not up on the computer stuff.
My son has data logged many cars. He did all the logging and down loading the tunes.
He has my logs and tunes on his computer
I’ll review them for you if you want to email them to me. PM for my email address if you do, happy to try and help you sort this out.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Go to Advance Auto and get yourself a qt of this and dump it in the tank, drive it for 10 miles of so to get it to the injectors and do a hit and see if it still smokes. If possible have your son data log before and after.
D9981D87-D6AB-483B-B73A-5E189E9C3783.jpeg C07EE22C-09A9-4F15-A224-2C6C0642DB1E.jpeg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Opinions?
That was one of the first questions I had when I bought my RE. I noticed the A/F at cruise was 13.5 also. I was told by @Speedy! and at the time @Motorheadmike those numbers were normal and if converted to Lambda would be normal. My pipes are black also and any moisture dripping out on the driveway during warm up leaves a black spot. Also when I just pulled my RE blower at @1500mi. there was already black carbon in the ports.
At the OP I believe they run rich for protection and I believe the tuner did this on purpose for protection on the boost hit. But better to be safe than sorry and check.

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #20
That was one of the first questions I had when I bought my RE. I noticed the A/F at cruise was 13.5 also. I was told by @Speedy! and at the time @Motorheadmike those numbers were normal and if converted to Lambda would be normal. My pipes are black also and any moisture dripping out on the driveway during warm up leaves a black spot. Also when I just pulled my RE blower at @1500mi. there was already black carbon in the ports.
At the OP I believe they run rich for protection and I believe the tuner did this on purpose for protection on the boost hit. But better to be safe than sorry and check.
I did tell the tuner I wanted to be on the safe side. My shift points are at 6000 rpms. This is a street driven car only. Not chasing every last 100th of a second in the 1/4 mile.