Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Blast from the past...

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #21
were talking 426 street wedge right, not 426 hemi?
Pre Hemi MaxWedge 426. Those are 1964 Plymouth’s.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
those were high strung, some could be had with I think up to 13:1
compression, some with ultra Rare tri Y factory headers, even the 413 max wedge was no slouch. Very very fast cars for the day

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Some Lions pics from back then. One of the things I remember most is the spectator stands were right next to the starting line and the blast from the top fuel exhaust would hit you in the face. Not something that can be experienced today :cool: The black Plymouth 426 in the pic has my Jardine Headers :giggle: View attachment 17497 View attachment 17498
Awesome pictures...takes me back...even though still photos...can hear those mopars in my head...(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #24
So here I was looking at this street driven "funny car" for sale...... 🤔 6DE67D9F-8C6B-4717-BCE3-30F0FF84EF81.jpeg

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Looks like F8 green done on a AFX platform. That would have stopped me in my tracks. A990 Race Hemi ?

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #27
Looks like F8 green done on a AFX platform. That would have stopped me in my tracks. A990 Race Hemi ?
Yep. Altered wheelbase with a cross ram dual quad 426 Hemi/troqueflight. I was slobbering like a coon dog.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
You and me both drooling. that there in the real factory form came loaded, by loaded I mean loaded with delete option such as radio delete heater delete carpet delete battery in trunk, Lexan windows in doors with crack up regulators & tracks removed, special light weight Corning glass. seat belt strap to hold up windows. metal delete ie: acid dipped front ends, and doors. Aluminum heads magnesium intake special factory tubular headers 12.5:1 some front ends in the form of aluminum not sure might be confusing with some other light weight factory mopars. Regardless the A990 cars tipped the scale at about only 3,400 lbs in 1965 with the altered wheel base the cars transferred the weight better to the rear wheels. Sound familure,much like an early factory demon race car of mid 60s. That car would be much quicker with only one change the tires of the day sucked. They made only 101 1965 factory light weight A990 cars Some serious Artillery to go head to head with for that day and age. I am guessing that is a tribute car no? It would have been a shame to mod a factory light weight.

Last edited:
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #29
You and me both drooling. that there in the real factory form came loaded, by loaded I mean loaded with delete option such as radio delete heater delete carpet delete battery in trunk, Lexan windows in doors with crack up regulators & tracks removed, special light weight Corning glass. seat belt strap to hold up windows. metal delete ie: acid dipped front ends, and doors. Aluminum heads magnesium intake special factory tubular headers 12.5:1 some front ends in the form of aluminum not sure might be confusing with some other light weight factory mopars. Regardless the A990 cars tipped the scale at about only 3,400 lbs in 1965 with the altered wheel base the cars transferred the weight better to the rear wheels. Sound familure,much like an early factory demon race car of mid 60s. That car would be much quicker with only one change the tires of the day sucked. They made only 101 1965 factory light weight A990 cars Some serious Artillery to go head to head with for that day and age. I am guessing that is a tribute car no? It would have be a shame to mod a factory light weight.
Yes that’s a clone. Very nice altered wheel base job with a ground pounder of a motor. For those of us who remembered the Dandy Dick Landy era of the altered wheel base (origin of the funny car moniker) A/FX and match race cars of the day, it was a show stopper. Not just a looker either. He said it would run mid 9’s and it definitely sounded like it.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Ah yes the cigar chomping Mopar man, Also can’t forget Ronnie Sox w/ the 65 factory lightweight although a tilt glass nose, none the less great car. Some took it a step further dropping Hilborn fuel injection then nitro guzzlers arrived. these cars were at the time thought of as funny looking that ultimately led the way to coining the name Funny cars today as we know it. Thank god factory sponsored racing battles between the big 3 were the order of the day especially Chrysler slugging it out with Fords for AFX. that I think stands for (altered factory experimental) leading to Funny cars. Maybe A good thing Bill France the head of NASCAR banned the Hemi after the clock cleaning season of 1964 Chrysler laid on them, It forced Chrysler to say I am taking my God damn ball and going to the 1/4 mile & put some ass whipping on that too.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #31
87BFB351-404A-4A54-B1ED-6BFA71E05A81.jpeg

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Nice shot, that pic worth a thousand words, eye candy just like candymatic car.