Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

BoostedGTA 2021 Super Stock

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I can't offer any assistance with the 1-2 and 2-3 short shift concern, but, certainly the DA was not favorable @ 2,187.

You have a solid base line to work with now and would be reluctant to swap out the tires at this point -- IMO it's too early for such a drastic change especially where they're hooking consistently @ 1.500. (y)

Last edited:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yeah your car is definitely short shifting on you, those shifts are about exactly what my car does in sport mode. Funny I was watching your speedo and thinking wow those are weird speeds to be shifting, but you have 3.09s and I have the 2.62s...

Just for kicks you should leave it in D but bump the left paddle shifter to 1 right before you launch it. That does force 1-2 shift to be at redline(however the 1-2 shift is controlled to be around 5000 rpms in sport mode and around 6000 in track mode with the stock tune) , but it will auto upshift on its own into the next gear and will shift right at redline on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts etc...

It will likely result in the famous shift hiccup but at least you can test your car out and see how fast it goes doing that. You could probably even test that on the street next time you are out. Good luck, car is BEAUTIFUL! Don't know why your car is doing that, you would think the taller tire would help? My car shifts really good just leaving it in D and not touching the paddles.

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Yeah your car is definitely short shifting on you, those shifts are about exactly what my car does in sport mode. Funny I was watching your speedo and thinking wow those are weird speeds to be shifting, but you have 3.09s and I have the 2.62s...

Eric his effective axle ratio is 2.87 with the 30.2" tall tires.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
A few initial thoughts:

1 - I know nothing about that tire and have never made any runs with
anything with that much rollout on one of these cars. I have no suggestions
other than if I personally had the weld/28" combo sitting there I'd have it on the car.

2 - Are you sure you had the chiller on? The overall of your run descriptions makes me think about my first outing. For me, letting the engine idle for at least 3-4 minutes with the chiller on nets my best results. That's been the case personally for three different cars now.

3 - I can't speak to the fuel but I can tell you that my '19 RE was slower on Renegade MS109(?) than it was on Shell 93. Just food for thought.

4 - I think I understand the speedo info for these cars comes from the front wheel sensor so your rear tire diameter isn't in the equation as far as speedo info is concerned. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm mistaken.

5 - for October air you were in some pretty crappy stuff. Humidity was high enough, baro not great at all and da was certainly nothing to write home about.

6 - the line lock is easy enough to play with in the driveway. Once you master it at home it'll likely work well for you at the track. One tip I learned from Ron: use your index finger rather than your thumb to hit the ok button. It's very easy to hit more than one button with your thumb and that deactivates the line lock altogether.

I'm sure your next outing will be a good bit better!

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Line Lock, you must smash the brake pedal panic stop hard and then you will see the Pressure in the DIC. It will work in manual or auto on the shifter.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #86
Just for kicks you should leave it in D but bump the left paddle shifter to 1 right before you launch it. That does force 1-2 shift to be at redline(however the 1-2 shift is controlled to be around 5000 rpms in sport mode and around 6000 in track mode with the stock tune) , but it will auto upshift on its own into the next gear and will shift right at redline on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts etc..
I took the car out on the street today but with the same tall drag radials on... out of maybe 5-6 attempts at going WOT for the 1-2 shift, all but 1 were at 5000 rpm's again. The 1 attempt that was better was probably around 5500 rpm's. Unfortunately I forgot my HPT datalogger so I was just going off watching the tach.

Now the interesting part regarding your suggestion. I had heard Speedy mention the same thing... I pulled the left paddle to put it in 1st gear and then tried not touching the paddles after takeoff... guess what? It STILL shifted at 5000 rpms!! Tried that multiple times as well. This is really weird...

I'm still holding onto the most likely culprit being the transmission adaptives need to "learn" still. I'm going to take it back to the track if the weather cooperates this week and see if it starts improving. If that doesn't help much, I may just reset the adaptives and start all over.

Last edited:
OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #87
A few initial thoughts:

1 - I know nothing about that tire and have never made any runs with
anything with that much rollout on one of these cars. I have no suggestions
other than if I personally had the weld/28" combo sitting there I'd have it on the car.

2 - Are you sure you had the chiller on? The overall of your run descriptions makes me think about my first outing. For me, letting the engine idle for at least 3-4 minutes with the chiller on nets my best results. That's been the case personally for three different cars now.

3 - I can't speak to the fuel but I can tell you that my '19 RE was slower on Renegade MS109(?) than it was on Shell 93. Just food for thought.

4 - I think I understand the speedo info for these cars comes from the front wheel sensor so your rear tire diameter isn't in the equation as far as speedo info is concerned. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm mistaken.

5 - for October air you were in some pretty crappy stuff. Humidity was high enough, baro not great at all and da was certainly nothing to write home about.

6 - the line lock is easy enough to play with in the driveway. Once you master it at home it'll likely work well for you at the track. One tip I learned from Ron: use your index finger rather than your thumb to hit the ok button. It's very easy to hit more than one button with your thumb and that deactivates the line lock altogether.

I'm sure your next outing will be a good bit better!
1 - I'm going to have my 28's mounted up on my 17x10 Welds this week. Will definitely try them out as I have nothing to lose.

2 - chiller green light was on... Also notice when I do this that my "auto" light comes on for the climate control--is that right? I turn climate control off on the knob, but when I hit the chiller button the green light comes on and the "auto" illuminates. You can see it in my video, and below is a blown up shot of my chiller button.

3 - I'll get the fuel figured out as I get the chance to run some more. Wanted to try Sunoco SS100 but they didn't have that. Not too worried about this as getting the shifting right is my main concern.

4 - I verified my speedometer is in fact OFF by 3-4 mph with these taller drag radials... Checked it against my GPS app on my phone. The car speed reads slower than the GPS app by that amount. Now whether or not it affects shifts, the jury is still out. Will solve that question this week as well.

5 - Yep, was not looking for any Super Stock records that's for sure! But I'll be happy when I get some clean passes with the car doing what it's supposed to do.

6 - Thanks for the tip!

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #88
Chiller on, I took this from my gopro and tried to zoom in so you could see the green light: chiller on.jpg

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #89
Line Lock, you must smash the brake pedal panic stop hard and then you will see the Pressure in the DIC. It will work in manual or auto on the shifter.
Thanks, will try again! I had mashed the pedal hard enough to see the pressure bar... held the ok button and let go of the brake and the car stayed still. Then when I gave it gas it would stall (engine died) and said something about too high of speed or something...

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thanks, will try again! I had mashed the pedal hard enough to see the pressure bar... held the ok button and let go of the brake and the car stayed still. Then when I gave it gas it would stall (engine died) and said something about too high of speed or something...
In that case you were going to the gas too soon and the car limped. If you touch the brake pedal at any time during the burnout the system will cancel and the car will limp. So, if you go to the gas pedal too soon after releasing the brake it will also do this. The brake pedal needs time to relax and the software has to digest what is happening.........Simple, no?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
You remove the boot completely. I think it is a 5/16 socket. Then the 3, T-25 screws come out all the way. Be careful when removing and reinstalling because there is a "T" slot at the bottom end of the filter and that must be engauged and the tab can break off.
Thanks Ron, I missed this post but plan on tinkering with this real soon! :)

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Hopefully installing the 28 in. tires will show an improvement in shift quality.
Would be interesting to see the difference in shift time between the 2 tire diameters.
That may play into your issues. What I mean is the time in each gear with the tall tires vs the time in gear for the stock dia. tire.
The cure may be to have the trans. tuned.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #93
Thanks Ron, I missed this post but plan on tinkering with this real soon! :)
Yep, just like he said... loosen the 2 clamps at each end of the inlet tube and pull out of the way. Then you have the 3 screws and don't forget the "tab" you slide off at the end of the filter. Pretty easy.

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
"Well, the maiden voyage is out of the way... did not have stellar results by any means".

Your 1/8 mile 6.8855 ET converts to about a 10.7 1/4 mile ET.

To turn 10.7 the first time out with horrible DA @ 2,187 and the transmission significantly short shifting with a 1.5065 60 ft. is actually impressive.

Just a slight improvement in the 60 ft. time in negative DA alone will yield a major improvement in itself, and now factor in resolving the short shifting issue which is huge !

Good days are coming ---- just be patient ! (y)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #95
"Well, the maiden voyage is out of the way... did not have stellar results by any means".

Your 1/8 mile 6.8855 ET converts to about a 10.7 1/4 mile ET.

To turn 10.7 the first time out with horrible DA @ 2,187 and the transmission significantly short shifting with a 1.5065 60 ft. is actually impressive.

Just a slight improvement in the 60 ft. time in negative DA alone will yield a major improvement in itself, and now factor in resolving the short shifting issue which is huge !

Good days are coming ---- just be patient ! (y)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! I'm just anxious... and our track closes this week and unfortunately it looks like rain for the last 2 days they are open. It will drive me crazy until I get the short shifting figured out. If it's not related to the TCM adaptives learning, then I'm wondering if Dodge recalibrated the 2021's to cure the 1-2 shift hiccup. Hope to have that figured out shortly. I do have an HPT bypass cable on the way so I can at least read my stock 2021 tune. Then I can do a quick compare to the 2020 tune. More to follow...

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #96
Got my bypass cable in today and read my stock tune...

What the heck is wrong with this picture??? Screenshot 2021-11-03 224526.png

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Keys are backwards on power rating.

You be slow with that red key.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #98
Keys are backwards on power rating.

You be slow with that red key.
Screen says 807 HP with the red key... but why is it backwards in the tune?! The 2020 file I looked at was correct with red listed as 807 and black at 500. Weird...

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
Maybe you'll get lucky and it's 870 hp and not 807.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #100
Made several more test hits on the street and the shifts seem to be raising in rpm... after looking at the TCM adaptives in the tune, they have acceleration counters and put you into different driver types and shift patterns. Hopefully with some more passes it will be shifting where it needs to.

Test fitted my rear Welds tonight. There is only a finger width of space between the inside lip of the wheel and the sway bar, but guessing that should be ok. 20211111_182212~2[1035].jpg